What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We are seeing our Buffs being rebuilt

I'm saying that with the talent we have on the roster right now, we may have hit our ceiling. The guys on the roster aren't going to play any better. Even with another year of experience. I may be wrong there, but that's what my gut is telling me. This is as good as I've seen our OL since the Barnett years, and it hasn't translated into any more wins. We're in an extremely difficult conference, and nobody is going to take any pity on us. Did you see the spanking ASU put on Notre Dame? ASU might not even be the third best team in the division. Forget the Pac 12, they might not even be third in the P12-South. That, more than anything, represents the daunting task ahead of us and MM. There are no gimmes in the Pac 12. None. Every team, every week, has the ability to win. They're ALL better than us, and they aren't getting worse. So while I agree that if we were in the MWC, ACC or even the BiG, we'd be staring at a 8-4 season right now, that's a luxury we don't have. We're in the Pac 12, and that means it's going to take a really, really long time to dig out of the hole we dug ourselves.
I just totally disagree with you. Just look at csu for instance. Freshmen and a lot of sophomores with a few juniors last year. This year they are junior and senior laden. It makes a big difference. Add to that our injuries on defense, especially. I think we step up next year and win the close ones we are losing this year.

I think the answer is probably somewhere in the middle of what Sacky and those disagreeing with him. Experience does not mean everything, talent still matters (who are the playmakers in crunch time?).

I think the answer is probably somewhere in the middle of what Sacky and those disagreeing with him. Experience does not mean everything, talent still matters (who are the playmakers in crunch time?).

Our WRs will get better with more time the weight room, more practice time and game day experience. Our LBs? Lol. Time isn't going to help that group that lacks instinct. Or DL will be better with more size and strength, but that doesn't mean they won't get pushed around still so I'll wait on that.

Our supposed strength at secondary has yet to learn how to turn and look for the ball. Experience hasn't always translated.

We will get a bit bigger and stronger. Our conditioning will get better. That said, we will always be undersized compared to some of the teams in the conference. Unfortunately, unlike an Oregon we don't have we don't have game breaking speed at RB or WR.
Can't teach that.

I just totally disagree with you. Just look at csu for instance. Freshmen and a lot of sophomores with a few juniors last year. This year they are junior and senior laden. It makes a big difference. Add to that our injuries on defense, especially. I think we step up next year and win the close ones we are losing this year.

csu upgraded their talent. They took some risks with recruiting and it paid off.

Our WRs will get better with more time the weight room, more practice time and game day experience. Our LBs? Lol. Time isn't going to help that group that lacks instinct. Or DL will be better with more size and strength, but that doesn't mean they won't get pushed around still so I'll wait on that.

Our supposed strength at secondary has yet to learn how to turn and look for the ball. Experience hasn't always translated.

We will get a bit bigger and stronger. Our conditioning will get better. That said, we will always be undersized compared to some of the teams in the conference. Unfortunately, unlike an Oregon we don't have we don't have game breaking speed at RB or WR.
Can't teach that.

After spending a little time at "OurLads"http://www.ourlads.com/ , please explain your assertion of "undersized".

Yes, there are the occasional freaks of nature in the Pac (UW and U$C have a couple such 6-7, 360 type-freaks, as there are everywhere these days), but as OurLads shows, CU's lines are very much in the median group (as much as you choose to ignore it!), when it comes to size and they've shown they can hold their own when it comes to every Pac 12 team they have faced this season. Where the Buffs are behind is in chronological age, which in a FB program translates to maturity, strength and experience. That comes only with the lapse of time, unless you got some quantum theory to lay on us.

As for DBs "looking back", watching other leagues officiating, "looking back" is becoming less a factor in PI, since DBs are now choosing to break up passes by reading the receivers' eyes and hitting the receivers' hands or the ball as a catch is attempted, particularly on quick "back shoulder" throws. I saw several SEC DBs focus on that aspect without "looking back" and without a negative consequence from the refs. As Pac officiating improves(hopefully), I believe we'll see less of those crappy calls. Looking back helps mostly with picks, not necessarily PBUs.

LBs? Our best, a FR AA, has been sick since camp started, not at all helpful; our best LB recruit was injured pre-camp and the remainder are young, except for Daigh, who is a step slow and Greer, whose mind is elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of DEs moved to LB, Shaver comes immediately to mind, as does Coleman. With the number of reps now run in practice, combined with their on-field experience, things could improve quickly.

Remember, the players are first groomed to play a high level of college ball, not necessarily to be high NFL draft choices.

Last edited:
After spending a little time at "OurLads"http://www.ourlads.com/ , please explain your assertion of "undersized".

Yes, there are the occasional freaks of nature in the Pac (UW and U$C have a couple such 6-7, 360 type-freaks, as there are everywhere these days), but as OurLads shows, CU's lines are very much in the median group (as much as you choose to ignore it!), when it comes to size and they've shown they can hold their own when it comes to every Pac 12 team they have faced this season. Where the Buffs are behind is in chronological age, which in a FB program translates to maturity, strength and experience. That comes only with the lapse of time, unless you got some quantum theory to lay on us.

As for DBs "looking back", watching other leagues officiating, "looking back" is becoming less a factor in PI, since DBs are now choosing to break up passes by reading the receivers' eyes and hitting the receivers' hands or the ball as a catch is attempted, particularly on quick "back shoulder" throws. I saw several SEC DBs focus on that aspect without "looking back" and without a negative consequence from the refs. As Pac officiating improves(hopefully), I believe we'll see less of those crappy calls. Looking back helps mostly with picks, not necessarily PBUs.

LBs? Our best, a FR AA, has been sick since camp started, not at all helpful; our best LB recruit was injured pre-camp and the remainder are young, except for Daigh, who is a step slow and Greer, whose mind is elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of DEs moved to LB, Shaver comes immediately to mind, as does Coleman. With the number of reps now run in practice, combined with their on-field experience, things could improve quickly.

Remember, the players are first groomed to play a high level of college ball, not necessarily to be high NFL draft choices.

We're seeing with Gillam some of the downside of bringing in undersized guys and needing to play them early. They are more susceptible to getting hurt, and we're seeing that with Addison. Also when you are trying to play LB at 210 lbs one case of bronchitis can turn you into a complete liability. Gillam trying to play now after losing 10 lbs tells you everything you need to know about our LB depth.

We're seeing with Gillam some of the downside of bringing in undersized guys and needing to play them early. They are more susceptible to getting hurt, and we're seeing that with Addison. Also when you are trying to play LB at 210 lbs one case of bronchitis can turn you into a complete liability. Gillam trying to play now after losing 10 lbs tells you everything you need to know about our LB depth.
Kind of like Jordan Dizon? Haha. Couldn't resist. I agree that we are in a pickle and having to push Gillam to play through illness is a drag.

Kind of like Jordan Dizon? Haha. Couldn't resist. I agree that we are in a pickle and having to push Gillam to play through illness is a drag.

Dizon was the exception not the rule, but besides there's a big difference between 6'0" 220lbs and 6'3" 200lbs. IMO. He looks like a WR.

Dizon was the exception not the rule, but besides there's a big difference between 6'0" 220lbs and 6'3" 200lbs. IMO. He looks like a WR.

Dizon also had more around him when he came in. Not only is Gillam less physically developed, he is also being forced to carry more responsibility.

Comparatively with Gillam in Dizon's sophmore season at ILB we had Akarika Dawn who had a career in the NFL and Thad Washington who signed to play in Canada after CU.

OLBs included Brian Iwuh who also played some in the NFL. That team also had Brad Jones as a RSFr who was an NFL player.

Overall a much easier environment for Dizon to develop in.

Dizon also had more around him when he came in. Not only is Gillam less physically developed, he is also being forced to carry more responsibility.

Comparatively with Gillam in Dizon's sophmore season at ILB we had Akarika Dawn who had a career in the NFL and Thad Washington who signed to play in Canada after CU.

OLBs included Brian Iwuh who also played some in the NFL. That team also had Brad Jones as a RSFr who was an NFL player.

Overall a much easier environment for Dizon to develop in.

I agree with the lack of depth hurting development. We don't have those veteran stalwarts teaching the young bucks the ropes. We will have that in a couple years (starting next year really) and that will help a tremendous amount. Addison has been hurt/sick all year - he is a much better player than what we've seen this year.

I agree with the lack of depth hurting development. We don't have those veteran stalwarts teaching the young bucks the ropes. We will have that in a couple years (starting next year really) and that will help a tremendous amount. Addison has been hurt/sick all year - he is a much better player than what we've seen this year.

Addison has had some tough breaks this year, but that's also a symptom of larger problems (no depth and being undersized). If a case of bronchitis causes the kid to lose weight to the point he is almost unplayable, that's a problem.

It is also a case of teams putting a focus on Addison. They know that of our LBs he is the guy they have to take care of, when Dizon was playing their were multiple guys on the field who could and would make the play. Couldn't just target stopping him.

I had a class with Dizon in college. He was not super tall but way, way, way bigger than Gillam.

I had a class with Dizon in college. He was not super tall but way, way, way bigger than Gillam.
"way, way, way?" Come on man! I mean, maybe "way, way." But not "way, way, way." A triple "way" is hard to believe. I even have a tough time accepting a double "way" for that matter.

Back