What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We going to Australia?

One of our commits is an Aussie. It would practically be a home atmosphere.

But not a fan of the idea.

Going there to play is one thing. But returning and being ready for the next week is another. We'd almost need the week before and the week after off. Look what happened to Cal.

Last edited:
What happened to the "student" in student athlete? How many days of class to they miss for a game on the other side of the world?

What happened to the "student" in student athlete? How many days of class to they miss for a game on the other side of the world?
probably zero. They would miss the last week before school though, which is worse than missing classes.

Not in favor until The Rise is complete. Only a loaded team can endure this kind of travel schedule without it affecting them the next week or so. I remember Tommie Frazier-led Nebraska playing K State in Tokyo, but that was at the end of the regular season with a month off before bowls.

Sounds like a great opportunity for increased exposure. Only game of the week, international exposure at a time when people are salivating for football. Really cool travel opportunity for players and our fans as well. Australia is beautiful.

If it's a week early and we get 2 weeks off after, it's a no brainier as far as I'm concerned. Can't be afraid of opportunity if we want to be a bigger name program again.

If you say so.....

I think I am a better judge for the popularity and its growth here than you are, that's all.

And I am not wild about the NFL's expansion plans, the London games and CU playing in Australia, either.

I think the education the kids get by spending a week in another country (and one a fair amount would probably never get another shot at) far outweighs the risks here. Let's keep in mind that Cal got seven figures to go down there. Here's what I'd like to see from the conference to do this:

1. First game on schedule
2. A bye afterward
3. A one year exception to the rule that doesnt allow OOC games after the third week in September if Notre Dame isn't involved
4. The leagues help in finding an FCS game for us two weeks after a trip like this.

Seems like the earliest we could do this would be 2021. Not concerned about getting little brother to move one of the games in that contract.....but I think the broncos might be a problem there.

Generally, that's a very valid point, but if it's the first game of the season like it was with Cal, I'd guess this happens during introduction week or before classes and teaching formally start. I am not in favor of it, just to be clear.

I think the education the kids get by spending a week in another country (and one a fair amount would probably never get another shot at) far outweighs the risks here. Let's keep in mind that Cal got seven figures to go down there. Here's what I'd like to see from the conference to do this:

1. First game on schedule
2. A bye afterward
3. A one year exception to the rule that doesnt allow OOC games after the third week in September if Notre Dame isn't involved
4. The leagues help in finding an FCS game for us two weeks after a trip like this.

Seems like the earliest we could do this would be 2021. Not concerned about getting little brother to move one of the games in that contract.....but I think the broncos might be a problem there.
On #3 - multiple conferences play OOC games later and conference games earlier for TV exposure. Is this a Pac 12 thing?

Germany for the last 35 years, the United Kingdom as of Thursday.

Well, you win. Wife and I go to uk every year, mostly england and at least for those I've talked to they don't care for it but very small sample size. 35 years trumps my visits big time.

Well, you win. Wife and I go to uk every year, mostly england and at least for those I've talked to they don't care for it but very small sample size. 35 years trumps my visits big time.

It's very much a niche sport and not mainstream, but that niche keeps growing. College far less so than the NFL, but the NFL is making inroads and I've had several "aha" moments where people asked me about football and the NFL as it's a well known fact I'm a junkie for both college and the pros and post about it on my social media accounts frequently.

I don't think I've talked to a person who watched RedZone and didn't like it.

On #3 - multiple conferences play OOC games later and conference games earlier for TV exposure. Is this a Pac 12 thing?

Yes-we're the only league with that rule, and the only exceptions relate to the series that Stanford and USC play with Notre Dame. As the Big Game and Battle of LA alternate the week before everybody else's rivalries, I think Cal and UCLA are allowed to end with an OOC game in years where their rival hosts Notre Dame thanksgiving weekend. Cal played BYU over Thanksgiving a few years back.

Larry Scott (calling Rick George) "Rick, I've got a great opportunity for CU to do a football game in Australia. As you know we have been making a push for the pac12 to get greater exposure in asia pac. It will be a fantastic opportunity for CU's student athletes, too - for many this would be their first major international trip."
(long awkward pause while George is laughing his ass off on mute)
"Thanks Larry, but no thanks. My fan base thinks Denver is too far to travel! You wouldn't believe the number of complaints I've received since I took this job about folks having to travel to Denver for a game. They'd kill me, even after I built these facilities. No way can do buddy, thanks."

Reactions: aik
For a program trying to attract anyone other than the longtime, diehard fans, playing a game where students, athlete's friends & families, and anyone other than the wealthiest fans are unlikely to attend seems like a bad idea. How does this gain us any meaningful exposure?

What is home?
Good question man Idk. Lol. You know of a place there that starts with an F, it's an army base if it's still there. My brother sent me all kinds of cool pics from there beautiful buildings and stuff. He fly fished quite a bit too which I kinda scoffed at lol. He was there a few years and then went to Ft Bliss. After that, he got discharged. I never asked why, pretty sure that was between him and my dad.

It's also an experience that many of them have never experienced nor will ever have the chance to do again. Not enough Americans travel overseas. It would be a great experience for them. Tie it into a visit to the Great Barrier Reef and it would be the trip of a lifetime. Just schedule the game before school starts.

I loved Australia but compared to New Zealand... NZ is still my favorite country I've ever been to.

That was a pretty large stadium that the Aussies nearly filled up for Cal-Hawaii (~80k if I remember right). I remember thinking "hmm, this isn't the typical 1/4 filled stadium that American football typically plays in front of when overseas." Or, in other words, at least from an attendance standpoint, I think the game was pretty damn successful.

I'm just going to be pissed if one of these gets on CU's schedule in the next few years; I'm already planning the first, and probably for a long time, only trip down under for next summer.

Collecting the miles necessary for the flights not to be miserable, and setting aside the leave necessary to make a flight that long worth it has put a serious cramp in my usual travel/vacation expenditure cycle.

If I go through that, and then find out I could have gone to Australia and watched the Buffs play while I was there if I had waited a year, I'm gonna be annoyed - because I'm not going through that hassle again for a long time.

Back