What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We need CSU to step up.

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
Somebody from CSU needs to step up to the plate and start making an argument about how they'd be beneficial to the Big 12 after A&M is gone. If the stories about the potential loss of Missouri are correct, the conference will collapse UNLESS they can find somebody to plug the hole. CSU could - in theory - provide access back into the Denver market. Hey, that's what got CU into the Pac. It could be enough to get CSU into the Big 12-4.

CSU can do us and themselves a HUGE favor by ramping up their propaganda department right effing now. Hell, CU could lend them Plati for a while. Maybe he'd stay. Win-win for everybody.

I think you forgot the sarcasm font.

Next time CSU steps up will be the first time. What is the argument they would make to join, look we have pavement and sidewalks? IF atm and mizzou leave texas in not taking bottom of the barrel MWC team to fill.

If they try and keep the conference together it will be with others schools in Texas.

Not only would a conference like the Big 12 even on life support have no interest in them, CSU isn't capable of stepping up.

I think you forgot the sarcasm font.

Next time CSU steps up will be the first time. What is the argument they would make to join, look we have pavement and sidewalks? IF atm and mizzou leave texas in not taking bottom of the barrel MWC team to fill.

If they try and keep the conference together it will be with others schools in Texas.
:rofl: Priceless!!

... don't forget to mention the shrubs.

:lol:

Is this a joke? CSU doesn't even belong in the MWC let alone a BCS conference. Hell, the rammies would be better suited for the RMAC! And more people will realize that after UNC beats their asses in a few weeks.

The only thing that CSU offers is the theoretical Denver market. But while they have a large alumni base here, I say that they're still behind AFA in local support.

Let's put it this way - CSU is closer to becoming an FCS school than they are to joining one of the FBS power conferences.

Hard to make much of a case for the sheep to upgrade their stadium/facilities to Big12 caliber when they sell 5,000 season tickets :rofl:

The only thing that CSU offers is the theoretical Denver market. But while they have a large alumni base here, I say that they're still behind AFA in local support.

And that's basically where the Big 12 is operating at this point -- theoreticals. CSU could allow the conference to "count" the Denver/front range market in its TV plan again, and they DO have a lot of in-state alums (where we have a lot of west-coasters), so I could see them argue their way in honestly. However, like was said above, that school has zero leadership. They should have found a way in last year.

Could build some new rivalries here, like the annual game w/ Kansas State billed as the battle of the Public Ivies.

I think they are more worried about actually fielding a team this year after all of their suspensions/ineligibility issues.

th_brendanfraiserhahahaclap.gif

I'm not sure that the MWC even values them as a member. Definitely below everyone except maybe Wyoming, but at least the Cowboys bring an entire state plus some Denver influence. CSU is probably the least desirable school in the conference.

As much as we hate them and would like /strike that love/ to see them crash and burn Texas is a power school. OU ranks right up there with the historical powers and is still one of the top programs in the country. Okie lite has been ranked pretty consistently lately and they have had some other schools see success so yes the Big 12-? is still a power conference, granted a tarnished one.

In terms of CSU being a candidate for stepping up conferences, it's all about money and that is why it isn't all about them. I did grad school at CSU many years back and know and work with a lot of CSU grads and fans. If there ever was a school that is in over its head based on attitude CSU is it. Their entire self-image is based on the CU game, it is their reason for being. Win the CU game and the season is a success, no reason to go to any more games. Lose as usual and the season is over, no reason to go to any more games.

They are always dreaming of stepping up into the big time but the dream is always based on some magical outside force paying for it. They are going to get another giant donation like the Stryker donation, they are going to get a share of the BCS money, they are going to get some magical sponsorship deal or conference media deal. It never is based on them growing their attendance to 35k plus per game and selling season tickets and some seat licences. They dream of TV money but when they are on TV the ratings are terrible, when they play on the road they travel poorly.

I also agree that their real level is probably FCS. At that level they could actually compete in recruiting, in facilities, in developing interest. They would lose some fans but they don't have that many now. FCS is much cheaper from the number of schollies, the reduced travel cost, the reduced recruiting cost. Going to FCS would take them from having the lowest budget in their conference to one of the highest. They might actually find real success there.

I could see the Big XII taking New Mexico even though they suck from the MWC. Also Tulsa could get the call to step up along with the obvious Texas schools Houston, SMU, Rice, UTEP.

I think you guys don't get it. We may need them to make a pitch. The very last thing we want is to be in the same conference with UT. This could be the golden opportunity CSU has been waiting for since... well forever.

I'm not arguing the point that they are a backwater nobody school with an overdeveloped inferiority complex. That's pretty well accepted as fact. What I'm saying is that they could help keep us removed from UT. I don't really care what they do in order to accomplish that. Their "pecking order" in the MWC is irrelevant. If they can make the case that they'll deliver a bunch of TV sets in the Denver market, they will do us a huge favor - and make some coin while they're at it.

It all depends on somebody at CSU having the courage to make the case, though. That part is far from certain. Stupid goats.

Which is worse: having CSU as a "BCS Conference" in-state competitor for recruits/attention or having UT as a conference rival again?

Which is worse: having CSU as a "BCS Conference" in-state competitor for recruits/attention or having UT as a conference rival again?

We can handle CSU. They wouldn't know how to handle success if they found it. CSU isn't going to kill any conferences. This is one of those few instances where CSU could do both us and them a big, big favor.

As many have said, CSU would be much better suited in the FCS.. Less expense, more wins. They would get less attention, not that they get much anyways, but at least they could experience a couple extra wins. As far as a Big XII expansion, I'd be praying for help from Houston, SMU, UTEP, BYU, and Tusla long before I get my hopes up on CSU

What we need is for New Mexico to make the play. It would give them the resources to build things up and potentially be a viable option if/when we look at expanding the Pac-12.

Can you imagine UT playing a road game in Hughes, The Texas fans buying all the tickets, maybe 3-4 thousand CSU fans actually get in. Of course since they have never actually sold the place out in recent years they have no clue how to handle the traffic, especially with all the giant redneck mobiles coming up the little two lane road into their fabulous new paved parking lot will be overwhelmedd and most of the fans won't get in until the second half when Texas is already up by 50 and half the crowd that already got in starts to leave reversing the traffic disaster. Add to that the woeful lack of restroom facilities and all those new bushes come in handy until the puddles of yellow fluid start building up around the base of each one.

Texas then makes a decision for the conference again and for certain teams in the conference games against the select few in UT and OU become either 2 for 1's or they play them in the Jerry dome and call it a CSU home game.

What we need is for New Mexico to make the play. It would give them the resources to build things up and potentially be a viable option if/when we look at expanding the Pac-12.

Fine. UNM then. I don't really care who it is, but somebody needs to step up. Honestly, I believe CSU could make the argument. I also believe they're so incredibly inept that they won't even make the effort.

Dumbest thing New Mexico did was fire Rocky Long, who is now at SDSU. He wasn't going to get them into a BCS bowl, but he took the Lobos to 5 bowl games in his final 7 years. They were in a lot better shape a few years ago to move up then they are now with Locksley and his 2-22 record. Obviously basketball is secondary, but New Mexico's basketball tradition is very attractive and they'd be an upper echelon team in PAC hoops right away. Academics aren't great, but they're on par with schools in consideration

TCU. It's the obvious choice, even over BYU. I know they're set to join the Big East, but the Big 12 is a better conference and closer to home. Plus, when the Big East inevitably disintegrates and is absorbed into the ACC, there's no way TCU will be one of the teams taken. Their best chance is to go Big 12, leech onto Texass, and try to follow them around.

One thing nobody's talking about: if A&M does go, what makes people think another team is going to be all stoked to join the Big 12? Obviously it is an extremely fragile league. Eventually, the Big 12 will not survive, but will have to be absorbed between the Pac-16, Big Ten, and SEC. Why would a team like BYU who is independent (and too far west to be legitimately considered for the Big Ten or SEC) want to go to the Big 12 when they know that membership in the Pac-16 will never be an option? And maybe that's why teams like Houston and SMU are being discussed even though they bring almost nothing to the table. UT gets yet another whipping boy while those schools get a huge step up to an (at the moment) BCS conference.

As many have said, CSU would be much better suited in the FCS.. Less expense, more wins. They would get less attention, not that they get much anyways, but at least they could experience a couple extra wins. As far as a Big XII expansion, I'd be praying for help from Houston, SMU, UTEP, BYU, and Tusla long before I get my hopes up on CSU

Dumbest thing New Mexico did was fire Rocky Long, who is now at SDSU. He wasn't going to get them into a BCS bowl, but he took the Lobos to 5 bowl games in his final 7 years. They were in a lot better shape a few years ago to move up then they are now with Locksley and his 2-22 record. Obviously basketball is secondary, but New Mexico's basketball tradition is very attractive and they'd be an upper echelon team in PAC hoops right away. Academics aren't great, but they're on par with schools in consideration

The Pit is maybe my favorite place I've seen a college basketballl game. Wish CU had that arena and that game atmosphere. UNM wasn't even playing in the tourney. Fans showed up to boo Lute Olson the entire 40 minutes. Intense.

TCU. It's the obvious choice, even over BYU. I know they're set to join the Big East, but the Big 12 is a better conference and closer to home. Plus, when the Big East inevitably disintegrates and is absorbed into the ACC, there's no way TCU will be one of the teams taken. Their best chance is to go Big 12, leech onto Texass, and try to follow them around.

One thing nobody's talking about: if A&M does go, what makes people think another team is going to be all stoked to join the Big 12? Obviously it is an extremely fragile league. Eventually, the Big 12 will not survive, but will have to be absorbed between the Pac-16, Big Ten, and SEC. Why would a team like BYU who is independent (and too far west to be legitimately considered for the Big Ten or SEC) want to go to the Big 12 when they know that membership in the Pac-16 will never be an option? And maybe that's why teams like Houston and SMU are being discussed even though they bring almost nothing to the table. UT gets yet another whipping boy while those schools get a huge step up to an (at the moment) BCS conference.

It seems counter-intuitive, but there's a lot of anti-TCU sentiment within Texas and the league. I just don't see it happening.

As for your question of what teams would be stoked to join the Big 12? They'd be schools that are becoming more and more realistic options for the league, which is going to have to look at second-tier schools to get back to 10 or 12 - I've heard if A&M goes they look to bring in three new schools and get the title game back: Houston, SMU, UTEP, UNM, CSU, Louisiana Tech. Those are teams I think the Big 12 might have to seriously consider and would definitely accept if offered. BYU and Louisville already came out today and declined talks for invites. If the Big 12 gets back to 12, it'll be teams like that which will fill out the league. Which has to make OU and UT happy, as it's an easier route to the BCS.

Easy question to answer as to why a school from the MWC, WAC, or C-USA would want to go to the Big XII, answer even applies to a lesser extent for BYU.

$$$$$

Schools in the MWC get a media payout from the conference of between $1.5 and $2 million a year. Stepping into the Big XII, even as a second level member means a payout of in excess of $8 million and with the new contracts coming in likely at least $14 million.

They also have to figure that even if the conference disolves being part of it puts them into the mix for consideration in the big reorganization that will follow. Give them a leg up on the schools still stuck in the non-AQ conferences.

In the mean time they also have to figure that the Big XII may not implode. That Texas and Oklahoma like the situation they are in and take the steps needed to keep it alive. In that case they are a part of an AQ conference making money and getting mentioned each year as they play their conference games.

If CSU were invited to the Big 12, Texas would probably give them the same conference distribution as they currently get in the MWC.

But seriously folks, last in revenue and donations in the MWC. Facilities are a joke. Attendance is a joke. CSU really needs to step down a division before it needs a jump to a BCS conference.

It's looking less likely that we'll need CSU - or anybody else for that matter - to step up and make a case to move to the Big 12. Hopefully, this serves as a wake-up call for the goats. Get your sh*t together up there. The clock is running. If you have even the slightest desire to be relevant, get your ass in gear.

Back