What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to Miami, Florida.

Couldn't happen to a classier program. Wouldn't it just save time and money for the NCAA to put the entire SEC on probation?

Couldn't happen to a classier program. Wouldn't it just save time and money for the NCAA to put the entire SEC on probation?

Probably, but that wouldn't help them in the case of Miami who is a member of the ACC.

The violations themselves are not that surprising.

The real question here is how much the admin/staff knew about it and what can be proved.

I will go out on a limb and state that the U might have to give up football. South Beach isn't conducive to running a clean program.

This story has everything...cash bounties for hits on Tim Tebow and Chris Rix, prostitutes, yachts...has the NCAA ever had to go after someone for an abortion being an extra benefit? Only question is how much they can tie to the administration.

This story has everything...cash bounties for hits on Tim Tebow and Chris Rix, prostitutes, yachts...has the NCAA ever had to go after someone for an abortion being an extra benefit? Only question is how much they can tie to the administration.

The pictures of the assistant coaches at the parties pretty much does that for them.

I will say that when the dust settles from this, Billy Corben needs to make a sequel to "The U" revolving around this Shapiro guy and his antics with the Hurricanes... :nod:

But instead, Shapiro said he was enabled by the university, allowed to run the entire Miami team out of tunnel and onto the field – twice – and once honored on the field by former athletic director Paul Dee during a game. The same Paul Dee who wagged a finger at USC as the chairman of the NCAA’s committee on infractions in 2010, chiding the Reggie Bush/O.J. Mayo scandal as a systematic failure.

“High-profile players demand high-profile compliance,” Dee said while announcing USC’s sanctions.

More allsome. The whole article is something straight out of a movie.

The ACC's not looking too good these days - UNC, GT, and now this bombshell with the U. Yet this is a conference with only 2 BCS bowl wins and no BCS at-large bids. :lol:

As much as I hate Ohio State they have a program rich with people who care and love them (USC too, to a lesser, but still significant degree). Miami is a school undeserving of the football history, no fan support, lots of success due to the athletes being held to a far less standard than regular students, lots of success due to climate and geography (great weather, beaches, girls and high school fooball). And most importantly a lot more thugs than OSU or USC. God I hope the NCAA drops the hammer on that bull**** of a football program.

More allsome. The whole article is something straight out of a movie.

Exactly my thought. It read like a Goodfellas type confession where there was no remorse/no regret only that the guy that was at the heart of the party didn't get taken care of by everyone else involved.

The fact that there are so many NFL players that came out of that time period is only going to make this story spin forever.

Shalala has been grandstanding for years about cleaning up Miami's image and trying to become an elite academic school but that pic of her and her "O" face over a $50,000 check that was begotten from an illicit Ponzi scheme while the donor was single-handedly destroying the NCAA rulebook with her players is insanely funny.

Well done, canes, well done. I can't say I remember violations that included coaches, from two different sports no less, being taken to strip clubs. Mizzou must be feeling really good about their hire of Haight to run their hoops program. Golden actually has a bit of my sympathy. Dude's going to be headed back to the mac at best, or at worst, stuck in the graveyard that the U will soon become.

...... Only question is how much they can tie to the administration.

It's just a matter of death penalty or severe infractions. This is called "failure to monitor". If USC was supposed to know that a high-profile guy like Reggie Bush was taking $$$ from an agent, then Miami should have figured out that perhaps it's most giving booster was a bit out of control.... There is no plausible deniability here.

I'll bet their new coach has an out in his contract and he is OUT.

I just saw an interview with Golden. He said they have 20+ commits and none have visited the campus. The word must be out about the fringe benefits. Canes are going down.

I just saw an interview with Golden. He said they have 20+ commits and none have visited the campus. The word must be out about the fringe benefits. Canes are going down.

I assume "campus" doesn't include the yacht, mansions, strip clubs, and nightclubs?

It's just a matter of death penalty or severe infractions. This is called "failure to monitor". If USC was supposed to know that a high-profile guy like Reggie Bush was taking $$$ from an agent, then Miami should have figured out that perhaps it's most giving booster was a bit out of control.... There is no plausible deniability here.

I'll bet their new coach has an out in his contract and he is OUT.
i dont think you will see the death penalty again... the ncaa said they regretted it for smu and thought they'd recover quickly... that said if they can prove everything with a paper trail and prove the whole university knew it... boom goes the dynamite

No way we see the death penalty. Not convinced the U will get nailed on this....

This has got to net the most severe punishment available short of the death penalty... but then again we though OSU was ****ed and they mostly skated.

i dont think you will see the death penalty again... the ncaa said they regretted it for smu and thought they'd recover quickly... that said if they can prove everything with a paper trail and prove the whole university knew it... boom goes the dynamite

That's where this will be different than others. Shapiro is in prison for running a Ponzi scheme and prosecutors are recreating his finances to figure out where the money he took went. There will be the most comprehensive paper trail in NCAA history on this one.

Miami really wishes someone had paid his bail now. Always take care of the guy who can **** you over

Exactly.

should be interesting to see how much the NCAA can tie it to the Miami athletic dept. If there was an attempted coverup, then Miami could be done.

you know if I remember correctly that 30 for 30 for U it didn't interview any of the people involved with the program at the current time. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the athletic department didn't want anything to do with it. Now it makes sense, cause they knew stuff was probably still going on.

If he has documentation about the gifts - "Gansta U" will get some real serious punishment. NCAA can't overlook documentation, phone records, credit card bills, and photos. I hate Miami, Lamar Thomas and all the pucks that have played there.

That's my take on it as well. I haven't seen one of these cases before where all of the evidence has been made public record like this by the media in advance. Basically, the NCAA's investigative job has been done for them. They just have to listen to the denials that UM will be issuing. With all that I read there, if even a quarter of it is true, it should be enough to give them the death penalty. If the NCAA doesn't take that action, they may as well get rid of the NCAA since they lack teeth. Without a truly severe punishment, this just raises the bar for what boosters will be able to get away with.

Reading that article shouldn't have made me as happy as it did.

Back