What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to Miami, Florida.

Yeah the hammer is coming down. Miami's going to have to vacate all wins between 1994-2010 (national champions in 2001). Actually, since the statue of limitations is only 4 years or something, they'll just have to vacate wins from 2007-2010. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Look out other schools, stay on the straight and narrow or this is what will happen to ya! (sarcasm font)
Why would they vacate wins from 1994-2001?
provided impermissible benefits to 72 of the university's football players and other athletes between 2002 and 2010.

That's my take on it as well. I haven't seen one of these cases before where all of the evidence has been made public record like this by the media in advance. Basically, the NCAA's investigative job has been done for them. They just have to listen to the denials that UM will be issuing. With all that I read there, if even a quarter of it is true, it should be enough to give them the death penalty. If the NCAA doesn't take that action, they may as well get rid of the NCAA since they lack teeth. Without a truly severe punishment, this just raises the bar for what boosters will be able to get away with.

Reading that article shouldn't have made me as happy as it did.
I agree 100%. If the NCAA ignores what seems to be considerable documentation, and just not wild accusations by a convicted felon, the NCAA will have to give "Gansta U" very serious punishment or their image will suffer to the point were they will not have any creditability.

I agree 100%. If the NCAA ignores what seems to be considerable documentation, and just not wild accusations by a convicted felon, the NCAA will have to give "Gansta U" very serious punishment or their image will suffer to the point were they will not have any creditability.

I think you've gone and confused your tense again.

This is hilarious and "Gangsta U" earned it. I was not surprised to see Kellen "Im a mother****in soldier goddamnit" Winslow in a pic with Shapiro, too good.

This is hilarious and "Gangsta U" earned it. I was not surprised to see Kellen "Im a mother****in soldier goddamnit" Winslow in a pic with Shapiro, too good.

One of the best lines from an EDSBS commenter was about Winslow crashing his jetski into the yacht -- "well, it's a good thing he's a soldier because he's certainly not a sailor."

Da_End.gif

If you hate Miami, why would you want the death penalty? If Miami football got the death penalty, it would slink quietly off into memory. Miami is not SMU, they wouldn't resurrect the program. The university would just go on trying to be NYU (which dropped it's basketball team after point shaving scandals in the 50's and 60's--plus ca change . . .) and might actually make something of itself.

No, what we want are sanctions that ensure that Miami will keep playing football, but under such austere conditions that they regularly get whipped by the likes of Duke and Virginia--at home in front of 12,000 desultory fans. We want scholarship restriction, bowl bans, recruiting restrictions that make Barnett's look like a free for all--no overnight stays, each recruit personally chaperoned by a overage nun. Then we want to watch SportCenter for the next decade and laugh at the FSU 52, Miami 3 scores. Think creatively, people.

If you hate Miami, why would you want the death penalty? If Miami football got the death penalty, it would slink quietly off into memory. Miami is not SMU, they wouldn't resurrect the program. The university would just go on trying to be NYU (which dropped it's basketball team after point shaving scandals in the 50's and 60's--plus ca change . . .) and might actually make something of itself.

No, what we want are sanctions that ensure that Miami will keep playing football, but under such austere conditions that they regularly get whipped by the likes of Duke and Virginia--at home in front of 12,000 desultory fans. We want scholarship restriction, bowl bans, recruiting restrictions that make Barnett's look like a free for all--no overnight stays, each recruit personally chaperoned by a overage nun. Then we want to watch SportCenter for the next decade and laugh at the FSU 52, Miami 3 scores. Think creatively, people.

Hmmmm, can the NCAA mandate that they hire Hawkins as coach?

SMACKDOWN CITY! Shapiro reminds me of one of the guys that wasn't able to play football in high school........so now he comes back to buy his way onto the team. I means seriously...........bounty bonuses on other college players. Can you say bitter?

That would be the allsomest thing ever!!!

Just picture Halk telling a group of kids from the streets of Miami-Dade-Broward that they need to "be the bow". :lol:

SMACKDOWN CITY! Shapiro reminds me of one of the guys that wasn't able to play football in high school........so now he comes back to buy his way onto the team. I means seriously...........bounty bonuses on other college players. Can you say bitter?

Exactly. This went beyond an adult fan making the bad choice of helping some kids on the team out in violation of the rules. This is a loser with money trying to buy friendships with a bunch of 18-22 year olds.

I hope it doesn't make me too uncool in the eyes of Buff players if I stick to cheering my ass off, donating a lot of time to a fan web site and making donations to things like facilities, scholarships, the Buffs4Life charity and the general AD fund.

IF SMU restarted their program Miami will. Remember the original ban was only one year and then 7 road conference games the next. SMU decided to give up another year and restart it in two years. Miami wouldn't be able to give up that money, they'd come back if they got the death penalty.

It's also kinda interesting that the cleanest period of Miami football since before the Schnellenberger days were the late '90s under Butch Davis - who was recently fired from UNC for NCAA violations.

you wonder if that is the reason why he left the Canes for the Browns. Even he knew he couldn't control the outside interests.

This would be perfect. They could get locally produced orange slices and juice boxes, instead of getting their horns out they could get their wind on, and Hawkins could get enough walk-ons to make way more player groupings than he did in Boulder.

Hawkins already has the sunglasses for S. Florida and his Zen stuff would go over great with the oldsters retiring to the area.

I'm just happy that this story broke in time to give me my fantasy football team name for this year. The Fightin' Stripper Feti (feti is indeed the plural of fetus...I had to check to be sure). Got me a sweet logo and everything...

FightinStripperFeti-BIG.jpg

While I don't see the NCAA giving out the death penalty for this one or ever again for that matter, I could see this mess potentially killing the Miami football program. Look how bad they struggle now with attendance since they made the terrible decision to move way out to Sun Life Stadium or whatever it's called now. Maybe they had no choice in moving out there but regardless, it has worked out terribly for them. They're already misplaced in the ACC, what are crowds gonna be like if they're only winning 3 or 4 games a year?

My take is Emmeret needs to establish the NCAA as a viable organization. In the case of Miami, he really needs to hammer them after this report. If not, there may be a revolt. Look for the U to get spanked into the next decade.

In an extreme case of life being to awesome to be fiction:
RT @DufresneLATimes: Breaking News in our dreams: USC AD Pat Haden named chair of NCAA infractions committee that will hear Miami case

schadjoe Joe Schad

RT @GeorgeSchroeder: Nice to say, Mark. Julie Roe Lach says different. RT @Matt_HayesSN: Mark Emmert to USAToday: "Not opposed to using "the Death Penalty.".

:rofl: (for those who don't realize the enormity of how awesome this is, here is a bit from the Yahoo story to make things clear:
But instead, Shapiro said he was enabled by the university, allowed to run the entire Miami team out of tunnel and onto the field – twice – and once honored on the field by former athletic director Paul Dee during a game. The same Paul Dee who wagged a finger at USC as the chairman of the NCAA’s committee on infractions in 2010, chiding the Reggie Bush/O.J. Mayo scandal as a systematic failure.
“High-profile players demand high-profile compliance,” Dee said while announcing USC’s sanctions.

The more I think about Miami, the more I think that the Death Penalty will and should be used. The SMU case scared alot of programs straight in the late '80s, and now enough time has passed (and enough verbiage since then that the Death Penalty would never be used again) that programs are running wild again. Set an example. It won't kill Miami, it will just maim them for a decade or so.

The more I think about Miami, the more I think that the Death Penalty will and should be used. The SMU case scared alot of programs straight in the late '80s, and now enough time has passed (and enough verbiage since then that the Death Penalty would never be used again) that programs are running wild again. Set an example. It won't kill Miami, it will just maim them for a decade or so.

I didnt slow down OU or Miami, that being said these penalties need to be more severe.

1988 9-3
1989 7-4
1990 8-3
1991 9-3
1992 5-4
1993 9-3
1994 6-6
1995 5-5-1
1996 3-8
1997 4-8
1998 5-6
1999 7-5
2000 13-0

Prior to '88, OU had four 10 win seasons, five Big 8 titles, and three national titles. OU also has a much, much more fanatic fanbase than Miami and it took them five years to get going again. If Miami is struck with severe infractions, they will not be able to recover like OU did.

1988 9-3
1989 7-4
1990 8-3
1991 9-3
1992 5-4
1993 9-3
1994 6-6
1995 5-5-1
1996 3-8
1997 4-8
1998 5-6
1999 7-5
2000 13-0

Prior to '88, OU had four 10 win seasons, five Big 8 titles, and three national titles. OU also has a much, much more fanatic fanbase than Miami and it took them five years to get going again. If Miami is struck with severe infractions, they will not be able to recover like OU did.

And OU went through 4 coaches in that period

Back