What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to Miami, Florida.

Dennis Erickson: Miami coach from 1989 to 1994

He stepped down because the program was under threat of NCAA sanctions. In 1995 the NCAA announced that Miami would be subject to severe sanctions for numerous infractions within the athletic department. Among the sanctions was a one-year ban from postseason participation and a scholarship reduction of 31 over a three year period beginning in 1996.

Care to guess what's going on right now at Arizona State with its unprecedented success on the recruiting trail despite Erickson's 15-21 record and zero bowl appearances over the past 3 seasons?

hawk_time.jpg
This would be perfect. They could get locally produced orange slices and juice boxes, instead of getting their horns out they could get their wind on, and Hawkins could get enough walk-ons to make way more player groupings than he did in Boulder.

Hawkins already has the sunglasses for S. Florida and his Zen stuff would go over great with the oldsters retiring to the area.
Forget any sanctions or penalties, if the NCAA mandated that Miami had to hire Hawkins as head coach for 10 years that would ruin the program beyond repair.

Last edited:
The more I think about Miami, the more I think that the Death Penalty will and should be used. The SMU case scared alot of programs straight in the late '80s, and now enough time has passed (and enough verbiage since then that the Death Penalty would never be used again) that programs are running wild again. Set an example. It won't kill Miami, it will just maim them for a decade or so.
I agree. The NCAA needs to either demonstrate it's authority and committment or it will be seen as non-consequencial entitiy. If they hit the U with the death penalty it sends the message that no program is above the NCAA.
That being said, I don't think they have the guts to dole out the death penalty again.

I agree. The NCAA needs to either demonstrate it's authority and committment or it will be seen as non-consequencial entitiy. If they hit the U with the death penalty it sends the message that no program is above the NCAA.
That being said, I don't think they have the guts to dole out the death penalty again.

You're probably right about that one. They'll call it Death Penalty Light or something like that. They'll probably say they don't want to adversly hurt the Miami economy in these tought times or some BS. Too bad. If there's ever a case for the DP, this is it.

In the scenario we all think is coming where there is no NCAA, and the conferences police themselves, what would the ACC do in this kind of situation? Would they come down hard, or let the U slide? I tend to think that the rest of the schools in that conference would want to come down really, really hard. They're the ones who have been hurt the most by Miami's disregard for the rules, right? Or do they let them slide because of the revenue potential that Miami brings to the conference television contract?

Miami is NOT the next SMU, according to Houston Chronicle columnist, Richard Justice.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7703545.html
I have to disagree with him. He is assuming that nobody at Miami knew what was going on, that they just didn't care. I can't accept that - people aren't that stupid when it comes to job protection. Sure SMU had a payroll, but Miami simply had a payroll of perks which oftentimes included cash. It doesn't matter that it was only one booster, he was just so rich that he could afford to take care of everybody.

In the scenario we all think is coming where there is no NCAA, and the conferences police themselves, what would the ACC do in this kind of situation? Would they come down hard, or let the U slide? I tend to think that the rest of the schools in that conference would want to come down really, really hard. They're the ones who have been hurt the most by Miami's disregard for the rules, right? Or do they let them slide because of the revenue potential that Miami brings to the conference television contract?

The collateral damage from the Death Penalty of any school would include conference media rights, conference championship games and more. I think the ACC would hit them hard with things like scholarship reductions and recruiting limitations but they wouldn't want to kill the program. Just wound it badly.

The photos of assistants at parties with the players and the booster along with some of the comments coming out of players are going to make it very hard for the university to deny that they didn't or shouldn't have known that at least some significant violations were happening.

I have to disagree with him. He is assuming that nobody at Miami knew what was going on, that they just didn't care. I can't accept that - people aren't that stupid when it comes to job protection. Sure SMU had a payroll, but Miami simply had a payroll of perks which oftentimes included cash. It doesn't matter that it was only one booster, he had stolen so much of other people's money, that he could afford to take care of everybody.
fify.

I think his point about SMU was that there were active participants all the way up the chain to the University President (and probably even the state governor). I think some Miami coaches were involved, and the university certainly looked the other way, but I'm not sure the AD and President were in the chop chain for payments, etc.

Anybody catch Luther's phone interview? I wont say anything else about it but listen to it if you get the chance. As far as punishment, I dont see the death penalty because of what it did to SMU. Not to say the death penalty couldnt happen, I just think it's very unlikely. If Yahoo has all the evidence they say they have, it's game, set, match.

Missouri basketball hire, Frank Haith, appears to be mixed up in this as well. he wasn't exactly firing up the Tiger fans in the first place.....bad 6 months for MU hoops....lose Anderson, get dinked around by Matt Painter, underwhelm with Haith who now may be dirty.

As far as punishment, I dont see the death penalty because of what it did to SMU.

You mean effectively kill the program? It's the "death" penalty, and did what it was supposed to do. FWIW, I don't think the U will get the death penalty either. SMU was caught cheating, said they'd stop, then got caught again, said they'd stop ... then kept at it. IIRC, I think SMU got nailed 3 times before the death penalty was imposed.

At least the U took a few years off between the Uncle Luke and Little Luke eras.

You mean effectively kill the program? It's the "death" penalty, and did what it was supposed to do. FWIW, I don't think the U will get the death penalty either. SMU was caught cheating, said they'd stop, then got caught again, said they'd stop ... then kept at it. IIRC, I think SMU got nailed 3 times before the death penalty was imposed.

At least the U took a few years off between the Uncle Luke and Little Luke eras.
What makes you think they took a few years off? It's called the death penalty but Im fairly certain it isnt meant to kill a program completely. Did they have a choice? No, not in SMU's case but the NCAA didnt think it would take that amount of time to recover. Clement was right, the phase out system was the wrong decision lol.

The Taiwanese animated news of this story is beautiful, simply beautiful. :rofl:
[video=youtube;8XpEtaEfB80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XpEtaEfB80&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The photos of assistants at parties with the players and the booster along with some of the comments coming out of players are going to make it very hard for the university to deny that they didn't or shouldn't have known that at least some significant violations were happening.

I heard an interview with some reporter on 102.3 the other day and they were saying how Shapiro got into a shouting match with a Miami compliance officer in the press box at a game one time and all the UM people saw this yet they didn't do anything, in fact Shapiro remained involved with the program for another 2 years. And the only reason he didn't remain involved any longer was because the government busted him for that ponzi scheme.

sure he could... i could sue dan hawkins for fraudulently representing a college football coach...it wont get anywhere though
Maybe his kid and the other chose Miami because the received cash and BJs. If the moron wants to throw his money away thats his business. Like USC, the players will be allowed to go elsewhere without losing eligibility.

Back