What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We Now Take You To Tallahassee, Florida

nearly every "name" player from a major school has similar memorabelia available.

but lets keep acting like its all one guy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autographed...95845986?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item27edf2f062

True, but the difference is in the magnitude and all being with one dealer. There is nothing stopping some schlub from buying a helmet, and trying to get it signed then selling it on ebay, its another thing to bring a player in and have him sit down and sign a crap load of things so you can sell them. If it was a bunch of random items popping up from various sites/dealers I don't think there would be any concern, but having a bunch all with one dealer creates suspicion around the whole situation.

The said yesterday that the company that was listed as verifying the authenticity of the signature had 2000 consecutive authentification numbers listed. The only way that happens is if somebody brings in a big lot of signed items and that only happens if the signer sits down for a solid block of time signing for a specific purpose. He knew what he was doing and was paid for it in other words.

No question that lots of players sign a few things for a few extra bucks. Might be a violation of the rules but not like it's a big deal. This kind of thing though is a big money deal.

To me Winston is a guy who is used to doing what he wants and getting away with it because of his athletic ablility. He is going to continue to have issues until he is finally held responsible for his actions and it has some real cost to him. So far that hasn't happened.

Here's a plot twist.

What if a top QB was selling his game gear on eBay signed, but he donated 100% of the money to charity.

Imagine that cluster**** if a news story.

So do you think he took money? Personally, I do, ill be honest. Entitlement is written all over this kids persona. Guys have reached out to him and he thinks he knows better. Defiant is another word I'd use to describe him. This is all just mho, not what media is putting out. He could be a good kid, idk. When he speaks, I just don't buy what he says.

I do think he did, yes. Entitlement for sure.

Flabuff, I don't think he's the only one at all. That said, he won the Heisman and a Natty to go with it. There comes a certain responsibility with **** like that and the dude pretty much says oh well. Eyes are gonna be on you, do stupid ****, that's how you'll be looked at. You know that.

One thing I believe that the P5 may do with its autonomy:

Make it so that athletes can profit off their likenesses.

The was I've heard it proposed is that they would sell jerseys and other memorabilia of the athlete with his (or her) name on it, signed by the athlete, whatever. It would be licensed through the school. The athlete's share of the proceeds would be held in a trust for the athlete that would be payable upon completion of eligibility or completion of a degree from the school if he/she left before graduating.

Flabuff, I don't think he's the only one at all. That said, he won the Heisman and a Natty to go with it. There comes a certain responsibility with **** like that and the dude pretty much says oh well. Eyes are gonna be on you, do stupid ****, that's how you'll be looked at. You know that.

yes, and when Manzel was living the dream with his clever antics, he was idolized and marketed as an anti hero. Winston does some dumb things and he's worse than a tax on breathing. why, SEC over ACC bias? maybe. He was accused by a white girl? maybe. FSU is good again so they are the new villians? perhaps. He's a kid who played lights out on the field. He won games. his biggest proven crime involves grand theft crablegs. Don't look for your moral exemplars on the football field, it isn't a requirement to be good at the game.

yes, and when Manzel was living the dream with his clever antics, he was idolized and marketed as an anti hero. Winston does some dumb things and he's worse than a tax on breathing. why, SEC over ACC bias? maybe. He was accused by a white girl? maybe. FSU is good again so they are the new villians? perhaps. He's a kid who played lights out on the field. He won games. his biggest proven crime involves grand theft crablegs. Don't look for your moral exemplars on the football field, it isn't a requirement to be good at the game.

I will agree that there was a clear double standard between Winston and Manzel. ESPN and CBS loved Johnny Football and didn't want to risk the ratings he brought them.

From my standpoint both were/are self-serving, selfish opportunist. Not a fan of either one.

The light touch that Manzel got doesn't justify giving Winston a pass on his violations. It means that Manzell should have had a bigger penalty and his situation was misshandled.

Winston strikes me as immature and a bit of a knucklehead.

Manziel strikes me as immature and a bit of a knucklehead.

Neither seem to be mean-spirited, bad guys. Both seem to be playing the game (the one off the field) in a way that exposes the system as completely full of ****.

Although Manziel took it on the chin in the national media and had about zero chance at repeating as the Heisman winner while also seeing his draft stock slip, he's also nationally celebrated in a way that I don't believe is happening with Winston. Maybe it's because of the actual crime with Winston (shoplifting). Maybe it's because of the sexual assault allegation (on which the prosecutor seemed to go out of his way to tell us there was something there but the cops screwed up the case). Maybe there's racism involved (since we do live in a country where most white folks hated Muhammad Ali until he couldn't speak - then all of a sudden whites loved him. There's definitely a bias against brash black youths.)

If Winston didn't have the rape thing, I think it would be a lot easier to be outraged about the difference between how he and Manziel were treated.

Different than Manziel, yes? That's not evwn counting all the shady **** happening with fsu and the local police

not defending TPD, but they are not the first or last local PD to blur lines. the Alabama TE with all the pot and cash is a free man.

yes, and when Manzel was living the dream with his clever antics, he was idolized and marketed as an anti hero. Winston does some dumb things and he's worse than a tax on breathing. why, SEC o ver ACC bias? maybe. He was accused by a white girl? maybe. FSU is good again so they are the new villians? perhaps. He's a kid who played lights out on the field. He won games. his biggest proven crime involves grand theft crablegs. Don't look for your moral exemplars on the football field, it isn't a requirement to be good at the game.
Yes Manzel got treated different, I don't disagree. I think Winston is getting piled on. Only problem is, he is bringing a lot of it on himself. Yes, he blocks out distractions and produces, unique quality. I'd be willing to bet that's the only reason his teammates have his back because he can play. We'll see how it plays out going forward. Enjoy the discussion about it. I can't really speak on the girl, I don't know much about that alleged situation.

you or I would be under the Tuscalosa lock-up for the same offense.

I don't understand how it made it into the news without an arrest.

That also begs the question of how many non-arrests are going on without the public finding out about it.

I don't understand how it made it into the news without an arrest.

That also begs the question of how many non-arrests are going on without the public finding out about it.
That kind of **** is why my dad stopped being a cop. He treated everybody the same, some folks didn't like that.

I think if that I would like your Dad. Sounds like an officer I would respect.
Yeah it's a funny story. My dad pulled over the Mayor or whatever he was, dude was drunk. Well of course he tried the, "do you know who I am" thing. My dad said, "I don't give a damn who you are, you're going to jail." Took him to the station, they wouldn't let him even book him, they gave him a ride home, never got charged, go figure. When he told me the first part, I busted out laughing.

Yeah it's a funny story. My dad pulled over the Mayor or whatever he was, dude was drunk. Well of course he tried the, "do you know who I am" thing. My dad said, "I don't give a damn who you are, you're going to jail." Took him to the station, they wouldn't let him even book him, they gave him a ride home, never got charged, go figure. When he told me the first part, I busted out laughing.

This kind of stuff is why people lose respect for the system. Back in the 80's when I was living in Broomfield the cops gave a DUI to the director of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. Gave the whole police department a boost in terms of credibility.

Similar thing. We had a neighbor who had spent his career as a train engineer for the BNRR. Always on time and never a wrinkle or spot on his uniform.

After retiring he couldn't handle sitting at home and got bored with his workshop so he got a job as a security guard working at STC in Louiseville. One day Jesse Aweda (sp.) who was the founder of the company and the CEO at the time had a group of potential investors touring the facility and wanted to show them his engineering labs.

He came to the door where the neighbor was stationed and told him that they were going to tour. The neighbor responded "You ain't going nowhere till I see your pass." Aweda responded with the "Don't you know who I am and showed him his ID.

Neighbor responded "I don't care if you are Jesus Chris' himself, my orders say nobody get's in without a pass and you ain't got one."

Aweda ended up calling his boss who ended up coming over and telling him it was alright to let them in. They later gave him a bonus for taking his job seriously.

Back