What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We Now Take You To Tallahassee, Florida

After observing the USC sanctions and how ineffective they were, for the most part, I don't think the NCAA has the teeth or tools to do anything meaningful to the "money" programs. Yeah, USC was down a little. But they are about to roar back into power. Even with reduced scholarships, the money schools keep bringing in the 4/5's.

if CU were to get the same sanctions SC did, it would set us back 20 years. SC was able to stay Top 25 and set itself up to return to power once the sanctions are done. And that's why the money schools cheat and the CU's of the sport don't.

Those sanctions took a program that was a shoe-in for the Rose Bowl for the better part of a decade to a program which was struggling in the Sun Bowl and you think they were "ineffective"? Come on.

Those sanctions took a program that was a shoe-in for the Rose Bowl for the better part of a decade to a program which was struggling in the Sun Bowl and you think they were "ineffective"? Come on.

No kidding. Brought down the then-most dominant program in the country for the better part of a decade.

After observing the USC sanctions and how ineffective they were, for the most part, I don't think the NCAA has the teeth or tools to do anything meaningful to the "money" programs. Yeah, USC was down a little. But they are about to roar back into power. Even with reduced scholarships, the money schools keep bringing in the 4/5's.

if CU were to get the same sanctions SC did, it would set us back 20 years. SC was able to stay Top 25 and set itself up to return to power once the sanctions are done. And that's why the money schools cheat and the CU's of the sport don't.

NCAA is unwilling to do anything that really impact member institutions. They even dropped most of the Pedo State sanctions.

What it may end up taking is interventions from the courts and even congress.

The UNC case presents a bunch of interesting options for legal actions. It has already been announced that a suit is going to be brought claiming that UNC failed to provide a valid educational opportunity to those athletes steered into the "classes" in question. I could see it going another step, doing an analysis of the racial/gender/socioeconomic make-up of the impacted students leading to a general civil rights action which could end up in federal oversight, not only of UNC but of other programs as well.

If as expected the FSU case leads to rapes and other crimes against women by athletes who are then given favorable treatment you could see a class action lawsuit by victims resulting in significant awards. More impactfull would be this becoming a Title IX suit claiming a hostile environment for women.

In either case or both the NCAA would be moved to step up enforcement action in an attempt to keep the courts and the federal regulators from doing it for them.

No kidding. Brought down the then-most dominant program in the country for the better part of a decade.
What? Sanctions were implemented 4 years ago. They've gone:
8-5
10-2
7-6
10-4
7-3 so far this year
they will be back on top next year. Listen, my point is the risk/reward for cheating is much lower for programs like USC. The can weather the sanctions pretty well. A program like CU would be bombed into oblivion.

Bombay is talking about the Pete Carroll era. Top 5 finishes pretty much every single season and they really have not sniffed that since outside of one season. They have not played in a BCS bowl or conference championship game in a while and you act like that is no big deal. It would appear nothing the NCAA could do would actually satisfy you.

Yes. What I meant by "how ineffective" was the level of effectiveness paled in comparison to the success USC had prior to the sanctions. Sure, the missed a couple of bowl games, but anything they did that was illegal was still worth the price they paid.

Bombay is talking about the Pete Carroll era. Top 5 finishes pretty much every single season and they really have not sniffed that since outside of one season. They have not played in a BCS bowl or conference championship game in a while and you act like that is no big deal. It would appear nothing the NCAA could do would actually satisfy you.
Again, my problem is that the sanctions USC got were not enough to act as a deterrent to others. Also, USC was able to manipulate the sanctions by taking the bowl game sanctions first, and the scholarship sanctions after.

Last edited:
You seem more bitter than concerned. I don't know what else you wanted the NCAA to do in the USC case.

Again, my problem is that the sanctions USC got were not enough to act as a deterrent to others.
The problem is not the penalties handed down to USC, it is the inconsistency in punishment since that ruling.

The problem is not the penalties handed down to USC, it is the inconsistency in punishment since that ruling.
Agreed on that point. And, yeah. I'm a little bitter. Bitter that their is a double standard by the NCAA. Bitter that programs can become football factories with little regard for academic success for their players. My world view of college athletics spans from the very early 60's. Yours from the 90's. The change I've seen and have to deal with is light years greater than yours. I have to accept changes that you can't fathom.

Last edited:
Agreed on that point. And, yeah. I'm a little bitter. Bitter that their is a double standard by the NCAA. Bitter that programs can become football factories with little regard for academic success for their players. My world view of college athletics spans from the very early 60's. Yours from the 90's. The change I've seen and have to deal with is light years greater than yours. I have to accept changes that you can't fathom.
But the changes you are talking about have not been sudden. Going on two decades at least (rise of FSU is probably the best example).

Follow the money. The networks are paying billions of dollars for rights to college football. The last thing they want is marquee programs to suck due to NCAA sanctions. It's not good for television if USC or Ohio State or Miami or Penn State or Auburn or Florida State are bad. Those programs draw numbers.

What? Sanctions were implemented 4 years ago. They've gone:
8-5
10-2
7-6
10-4
7-3 so far this year
they will be back on top next year. Listen, my point is the risk/reward for cheating is much lower for programs like USC. The can weather the sanctions pretty well. A program like CU would be bombed into oblivion.

The last four years were the better part of the decade. The six years before had kind of sucked, in my opinion.

Exactly. Duff expressed what I meant more coherently than I did.

Last edited:
Listen, I don't think the NCAA could've done more. I just don't think the punishment is much of a deterrent to the big boys. Cheating is worth the risk because they'll still bring in star recruits. For the CU's of the world, the same sanctions would kill them.

This is really, really third hand. Apparently, radio personality JT "The Brick" is claiming that a well known bookie is claiming FSU has been shaving points. My experience with these things is they amount to nothing. So, stay tuned.

Edit: Just googled. Hadn't realized this is kind of old news dating back 3 weeks or so. SIAP.

Last edited:
It's be interesting to see real proof. FSU hasn't been putting people out like they did last year.

But didn't they have like 12 guys go to the league?

This is really, really third hand. Apparently, radio personality JT "The Brick" is claiming that a well known bookie is claiming FSU has been shaving points. My experience with these things is they amount to nothing. So, stay tuned.

Edit: Just googled. Hadn't realized this is kind of old news dating back 3 weeks or so. SIAP.

Yeah. Allegedly, some dude that Winston went to high school with (and plays at UAB) made a strange bet with a bookie... putting $5k on Louisville to lead at halftime against FSU.

3f3c0fffde9d4591e0e68e4d1af31d02.jpg
kid has probs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jameis Winston has a pic on snapchat on the day of his hearing at FSU. "looking for a Tally Sloot"

Amazing. The Tallahassee police are something else. Not only do they not arrest him but they release an incident report that redacts Johnson's name, yet leaves the victim's name in.

FSU had that weird one last year, where one of their DBs likely caused a car accident (which was possibly related to a nearby theft), and it was just handled on the spot with (if I remember correctly) nor report filed, even though there was at least one totalled car. What ever happened to that?

Amazing. The Tallahassee police are something else. Not only do they not arrest him but they release an incident report that redacts Johnson's name, yet leaves the victim's name in.

Truly amazing. If he was not a part of the FSU football team he might be wondering if he would ever get out.

I would be embarrassed to be associated with some of the stuff they routinely get away with.

Back