What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We should have kept Embree

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tell you what, we'll talk when an MM team loses to an FCS team, and gives up 35 points in a quarter to a Mountain West team, and when his offensive coordinator calls for a QB sneak under center on 1st and 10 deep in his own territory, or when his team gets called for delay of game because the OC couldn't get the play in on time..... etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Remember AZ promised everyone that Embree was shaking up the staff and EB, Brown and Cabral would be gone.

I should be more specific. I think he was a major failure as a coach too. I just think he never should have been hired in the first place. Good point though about Barnett and even Hawkins keeping good contact with CU. I don't really care much about Hawkins really but Barnett is an important figure. He was head coach of the 62-36 dream come true victory over nu. He will forever be a hero for that.

i have to admit, after watching the CSU game, I did wonder....if HCMM doesn't get this turned around or moving in the right direction by the end of next season, maybe we reach out to Barnett and hire him back. Just think what he could do with great facilities and more money for great assistants. He loves CU and many of us still love him for what he did here.

To be fair, I was someone happy to see him go after losing 70-3 to Texas but I believe I see what we really had. I do think we had an awful OC then and Barnetts loyalty to him hurt him in the end. Am I wrong for thinking Barnett may be our solution in the future???

Barnetts not coming back. He has been out of coaching for a long time, isn't a young man anymore, and enough people still remember the "scandal" that he would be less than welcomed by a vocal element of the school and Boulder.

Shame because I've always liked Gary. He was a genuine guy and a coach to his core. He wasn't a PR guy or a face and that eventually helped lead to his downfall along with a chicken**** administration that left him and a group of innocent players hang out to dry rather than have the courage to stand up for justice and seek the truth.

It's CU's fault for pu ting Embree in position to fail in the first place. Dude was not ready. Time will hopefully heal wounds.

From phone

Some guys are better suited to be assistants, coordinators. Look at Dick LaBeau, he's been a coordinator since like ****ing Pearl Harbor.

You forgot the part about them going to Oklahoma State to learn their offense

Well, that was before 2012. Embree going to Okie State for a few days in *secret*. That was my biggest strike against Embree, acting like they had some secret weapon to unload on CSU, only to abandon the whole idea after 2 drives. That was not on the state of the program, or recruiting, that was just incompetence.

Well, that was before 2012. Embree going to Okie State for a few days in *secret*. That was my biggest strike against Embree, acting like they had some secret weapon to unload on CSU, only to abandon the whole idea after 2 drives. That was not on the state of the program, or recruiting, that was just incompetence.
Yup, like the Cal game when HaLk forgot to install a silent snap count for the offense prior to the game.

I agree that we could and should have kept Embree through his contract. He was the best recruiter we have had in the past decade (Prich, Henderson, Sefo, Spruce, Crawley, Tupou, Hennington, the list goes on ....). He was a terrible coach w/o HC experience, but he played a pro-offense to attract 'pro-recruits.' He could have gotten some more good pieces in place prior to the next guy.

If we would have played our cards right maybe we could have gotten Mac Brown for 2014! Kind of a tired guy, but a guy with massive recruiting ability and conveyor belts coming from all the Texas high schools.

But that is all in the past. MM is a good coach who needs to learn how to recruit in a power 5 conference. He has never been in a p5 until now...got to learn somewhere. He will figure it out, but it will take five years of gradual improvement. Ranked and PAC-12 south runner-up in 2019!

Worst thing to do would be to get rid of MM. Got to let a coach at least get a class of seniors through.

I agree that we could and should have kept Embree through his contract. He was the best recruiter we have had in the past decade (Prich, Henderson, Sefo, Spruce, Crawley, Tupou, Hennington, the list goes on ....). He was a terrible coach w/o HC experience, but he played a pro-offense to attract 'pro-recruits.' He could have gotten some more good pieces in place prior to the next guy.

If we would have played our cards right maybe we could have gotten Mac Brown for 2014! Kind of a tired guy, but a guy with massive recruiting ability and conveyor belts coming from all the Texas high schools.

But that is all in the past. MM is a good coach who needs to learn how to recruit in a power 5 conference. He has never been in a p5 until now...got to learn somewhere. He will figure it out, but it will take five years of gradual improvement. Ranked and PAC-12 south runner-up in 2019!

Worst thing to do would be to get rid of MM. Got to let a coach at least get a class of seniors through.
Interesting list.

umm... ummm... :bang:

How does one learn how to recruit at the P5 level?

Of course this thread is just a mental exercise. Bottom line is we have the coach we have and we could have done a whole lot worse. He seems to be a good teaching coach, a great practice coordinator, not a great X and Os guy and needs to figure out p5 recruiting a little. He'll be ok in the long run.

CSU is gonna putta likin on Boise State this weekend and everyone will feel a little better.

My humble opinion is that someone who has had success at the mid-major level has learned how to recruit and then polish a few diamonds in the rough and then coach other 3-star guys into kids that play at a 4-star level.

I don't think those methods work near as well at the p5 level. The coach must first realize that what worked for him does so no longer. I think of the great p5 recruiters and they are slick as grease salesmen: Pete Carrol, Mac Brown, Saban all come to mind. I think the admin helps too by building great facilities, standing behind coaches and not being any more demanding on the program than the NCAA already is. I think a vivacious fan base helps...

almost exclusively by being an assistant on a team with a mature recruiting organization, while hitting the roads and working the living rooms for a few years. Some get it "for free" by coming from the NFL or being blessed with absurd success early in their career and riding the momentum.

Back