What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Weekly Nelson Spruce Thread

Think of the yards and TDs he would have if Sefo saw him all the times he is wide open. or if he would throw it deep enough that Spruce didn't have to slow up for the ball and drift back into three defenders. BTW...how great is it that we have a good enough WR that teams put three defenders on him?

Shay would also have two more TD's for sure. Airmailed him. Both the line play and Sefo must keep making progress.

I think we really need to have the conversation about whether Spruce is too valuable to risk on punt returns.

It's probably time to put Donovan Lee or someone else back there (whomever has the most confidence of the coaches). Maybe Tony Jones?

announcers compared him to Scotty McKnight. that's all that needs to be said there.

That comparison can only hold weight if the context is recent good WRs at CU; defiantly not similar types of WR. What bugged me and some eluded to ignorant TV announcers were commenting to the effect of "Spruce is far an away the most improved player on this years roster," we all know that is false he has just done well at becoming the featured pass catcher on the squad.

I think we really need to have the conversation about whether Spruce is too valuable to risk on punt returns.

It's probably time to put Donovan Lee or someone else back there (whomever has the most confidence of the coaches). Maybe Tony Jones?

Would love to see Lee get a shot. When we signed him, I guess I just assumed that would be one of his key roles. I suppose something must be holding him back. Rather not risk Spruce back there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am ok with Spruce being overlooked until mid September 2015. I really don't want to lose him next year, even if we have Fields, Bobo, Lee and sign Brown. I hope he stays one more year.

That was funny. Would love to hear the actual reasoning behind that comparison.

Unless it's on the number of receptions, it makes no sense.

It would be like someone trying to say that Lawrence Vickers and Rodney Stewart were similar running backs at CU.

The more often something happens the less likely it is fluke.

Nelson keeps getting open, Nelson keeps creating separation from DBs, Nelson keeps catching the ball and he keeps scoring TDs.

He may not have stopwatch speed but he has proven that he has football speed. He keeps getting behind DBs and he isn't getting caught from behind when he does.

I would guess that he is faster on the field than a number of highly successful NFL receivers and there are a bunch of college receivers who are faster than he is who won't have the same probability of playing for pay as he will because they don't turn it into results.

Would love to see Lee get a shot. When we signed him, I guess I just assumed that would be one of his key roles. I suppose something must be holding him back. Rather not risk Spruce back there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Returning punts = no Bueno. Either he should be there to only fair catch it or we should get someone else out there like maybe fields. Some breakout speed with good sense would be nice. If he had great speed is be fine with leaving him there. Without that, it's too much risk and not enough reward for leaving him out there.

At times he'll have a decent return. Need a more dynamic player.

Returning punts = no Bueno. Either he should be there to only fair catch it or we should get someone else out there like maybe fields. Some breakout speed with good sense would be nice. If he had great speed is be fine with leaving him there. Without that, it's too much risk and not enough reward for leaving him out there.

At times he'll have a decent return. Need a more dynamic player.

Here's the crazy thing with Shay Fields. Spruce has put up such ridiculous stats that what Fields has done has been overshadowed.

After 4 games, Fields is on pace for: 81 receptions, 603 yards, 6 receiving touchdowns (9 total)

P-Rich as a frosh: 34 receptions, 514 yards, 6 touchdowns

Spruce as a frosh: 44 receptions, 446 yards, 3 touchdowns

Scotty as a frosh: 43 receptions, 488 yards, 4 touchdowns

Basically, Fields is on pace to have the best freshman season in CU history and we're not even talking about it. I don't want him returning punts, either. Too valuable to risk.

Ya know, if by the will of the football Gods, our O line gets better and we can run with more consistency when we need to..... Our offense gets really intriguing as a Buff fan. It is a big if, but just sayin.....

(I think our backs are more solid than line play to date for full disclosure)

Id risk fields as PR. The only consideration is that he may not be mentally up for the task.

Why aren't we calling him Willie Nelson Spruce? Especially since next week's game is on the road again.

I would rather have Spruce fielding punts. I say this because he is savvy about catching and controlling the ball. The last thing this Buffs team needs is a green pea who makes a stupid mistake ala DD in the CSU game a couple of years ago. Keep Spruce there to maintain some semblance of control.

Spruce is really blossoming this year. couldn't resist.

All kidding aside, he really is a stud and we should feel really fortunate to have him. He will play in the NFL

The only play I was truly mad at Sefo for on Saturday was the one where the CB on Spruce fell and Sefo threw it away. He went through his progression with Spruce at #1 who was covered initially. If I recall correctly he wasn't under pressure at that point so if he had taken a tenth of a second longer to decide to pass or throw it away, he would have had a TD. One of those things where the coaching clock went off in his head and he just did it automatically. As he gains experience I expect Sefo to start thinking for himself a bit out there.

like 3rd in the nation this week. Nice to see that BUFF logo at the top of some of these College Football Stats for a change. Thanks Nelson !

#3 in yds, #1 in TD's, set the CU record for longest TD pass this week.

Ridiculous.

With the emergence of Fields, DC's really have to pick their poison in the passing game.

#3 in yds, #1 in TD's, set the CU record for longest TD pass this week.

Ridiculous.

With the emergence of Fields, DC's really have to pick their poison in the passing game.

Which record? I know for a fact that Bloom's TD reception in 2002 was a lot longer.

Which record? I know for a fact that Bloom's TD reception in 2002 was a lot longer.

Ya thats true, that was a 94 yd reception. I heard some broadcaster say that it was some record breaker though. Maybe it was Spruce's personal longest.

had to be spruce's longest. Also he tied or beat a lot of records regarding games in a row with that TD.

Nelson may end up being the best all around WR I've ever seen at CU
^^This^^ So much to love about his game. He has the strongest hands on the team, has wicked concentration, is athletically ridiculous, runs great routes. My favorite move of his is when he comes back for the ball, so he is facing the QB, then after the catch he bursts one direction or another. Has done this numerous times and gets a **** ton of yards after the catch.

Back