What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wes Gordon

Gordon would slide over to the 5. Hell, Gordon may not even start, so to say that Mills will come in if Scott has foul trouble is extremely premature.
Why wouldn't Gordon start?

1 - Dinwiddie
2 - Booker
3 - Johnson
4 - ????
5 - Scott

Who is going to start at the 4 if it's not Gordon?

1 - Dinwiddie
2 - Booker
3 - Johnson
4 - ????
5 - Scott

I believe Gordon is either the 3rd or 4th best player on next years team. But the reason to not start Gordon would be if Boyle didn't have confidence in Mills being the first big off the bench. We are very thin up front so Boyle will have to be creative with lineups. Having Gordon as the first big off the bench would allow CU to ideally always have someone relatively rested up front. Would also allow one of the young wings to get more minutes when CU decides to go small. Gordon should get 25-30 MPG next season

I could see CU start X Johnson at the 4 (for the first 4-5 minutes of each half) with Fletcher also getting early minutes

1 - Dinwiddie
2 - Booker
3 - Johnson
4 - ????
5 - Scott

Personally, I want Gordon to start for us, and I think he will, but to me some of it depends on how good the freshmen wings are. Ideally, I'd like to see Gordon in the starting lineup for what he offers us, but to me it's not out of the question that XJ starts at the 4 and one of the 4 freshmen wings starts at the 3.

I believe Gordon is either the 3rd or 4th best player on next years team. But the reason to not start Gordon would be if Boyle didn't have confidence in Mills being the first big off the bench. We are very thin up front so Boyle will have to be creative with lineups. Having Gordon as the first big off the bench would allow CU to ideally always have someone relatively rested up front. Would also allow one of the young wings to get more minutes when CU decides to go small. Gordon should get 25-30 MPG next season

I could see CU start X Johnson at the 4 (for the first 4-5 minutes of each half) with Fletcher also getting early minutes

Not so! Three players (Scott, Gordon and Mills for 4-5) is plenty based on the versatility of the other players. Quite often last year it was a 5, three combo players and a 1 on the floor for the Buffs---as for many college teams. Good bigs are hard to come by, unless you cheat like Baylor.

Personally, I want Gordon to start for us, and I think he will, but to me some of it depends on how good the freshmen wings are. Ideally, I'd like to see Gordon in the starting lineup for what he offers us, but to me it's not out of the question that XJ starts at the 4 and one of the 4 freshmen wings starts at the 3.

It's going to be very hard to keep Gordon's low post defense and rebounding on the bench to start the game. Having Gordon in the game may also help keep Scott from grabbing early fouls.

I believe the 5th starter will be based on the matchup.

- If we play a small team, then Jenkins starts at the 3, XJ starts at the 4, Scott at the 5.
- If we play a bigger team, XJ starts at the 3, Scott at the 4. and Gordon at the 5.

But if Gordon is a beast, he'll start regardless of the matchup.

Man I'm excited! Either way you look at it, we're going to have a squad to start the game. And on the bench we still have... pushing at least 10 deep this year.

Gordon/Jenkins
Fletcher
Hopkins
Thomas
Talton
Stalzer
Mills

Last edited:

I'd be pretty surprised to see any of the freshman start, not a knock on them but more of a praise of Scott, Gordon, XJ, Ski, and Spencer.

Based upon the quality of the recruiting class I am going to be surprised and a little disappointed if one of the four new true freshman doesn't start or move to a starting role quickly.

Based upon the quality of the recruiting class I am going to be surprised and a little disappointed if one of the four new true freshman doesn't start or move to a starting role quickly.

They may not start but several will get lots of minutes.

It's not at all a slight on the 2013 class because there is a lot of talent in the class, but I don't see any of them unseating three possible NBA draft picks (Spencer, XJ, and Scott) their freshman year. They will see a lot of minutes but I doubt any start.

I dont think any will start initially, but as the season progresses I wouldnt be shocked to see one of them move into a starting role as conf play begins (similar to what they did with XJ last year).
Again, It will depend on how we match up.
We are deep, but assume that AT LEAST one of the frosh is going to get red shirted. IF they dont, that's a 6 person class (w gordon/jenkis as rFreshmen from last season).

I dont think any will start initially, but as the season progresses I wouldnt be shocked to see one of them move into a starting role as conf play begins (similar to what they did with XJ last year).
Again, It will depend on how we match up.
We are deep, but assume that AT LEAST one of the frosh is going to get red shirted. IF they dont, that's a 6 person class (w gordon/jenkis as rFreshmen from last season).

None of the guys coming in are as highly regarded as XJ was, and none of the guys to be "unseated" are as lightly regarded as Sab was.

Learn to live with disappointment and surprise. These kids, as good as they are, still need to learn Tad's system, especially the emphasis on defense Plus, its always a big step up when you discover everybody on the other team is also a schollie player, is just as good as you are and maybe a little older and bulkier. Wasn't that way in HS! Or even in AAU ganes. Ex. A = Xavier Talton.

None of the guys coming in are as highly regarded as XJ was, and none of the guys to be "unseated" are as lightly regarded as Sab was.

And XJ was very prepped coming into CU. He played against top competition in high school.

Learn to live with disappointment and surprise. These kids, as good as they are, still need to learn Tad's system, especially the emphasis on defense Plus, its always a big step up when you discover everybody on the other team is also a schollie player, is just as good as you are and maybe a little older and bulkier. Wasn't that way in HS! Or even in AAU ganes. Ex. A = Xavier Talton.

Comparing Xavier Talton to top 150 recruits is a bad example.

I honestly don't think Gordon starts just because him coming off of the bench gives us so much more lineup flexibility. He's probably going to be our fourth best player this year, and will play more minutes than most, but I don't think he starts.

I honestly don't think Gordon starts just because him coming off of the bench gives us so much more lineup flexibility. He's probably going to be our fourth best player this year, and will play more minutes than most, but I don't think he starts.

so what do you see as the starting lineup?

Unless you are getting 5* studs, you really don't want your program to rely on freshman. That is why Boyle has got things going so well for CU because we are now in a situation where we don't need to start freshman unless they are sensational. The freshman will play off the bench and start as sophomores and juniors when called upon.

so what do you see as the starting lineup?

If it was my choice? Dinwiddie, Hopkins, XJ, Thomas/Fletcher, Scott - with Ski and Gordon getting more minutes than the frosh. Thomas gives us a stretch 4 which we desperately need to open up room for Scott to work. We then have a bench unit of Ski, Talton, Jenkins, Fletcher and Gordon. I worry about the defense with the second unit though.

What I think Tad will go with? Dinwiddie, Ski, Fletcher, XJ, Scott

Back