What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Western super-conference (hypothetical, of course)

I think its a done deal.

I agree. There's just been too many "on the record" comments to suggest otherwise.

They're doing a really good job of sending the messages under the radar, but it definitely appears they're setting the table for some big news. ADs and school presidents wouldn't comment on this unless something was lined up.

i think that neither the p10 or b10 are likely to drop schools ... same with the b12... they won't do that... the weak sisters are basically "grandfathered" in.

so, with that in mind, and assuming the p10 and b10 are working together, maybe it shakes out something like this:

p16:

usc/ucla
uw/wsu
ua/asu
stan/cal
ore/ore st
CU/utah
ut/atm
ou/ okie st? tcu? byu? someone else?

b16:
mich
msu
osu
ill
nw
psu
iowa
indiana
minn
wisc.
purdue
mizzery
fuskers
pitt
rutgers
notre dame (maybe they finally decide to play ball? or someone else in their place?)

then, you'd have to figure the sec is going to try to go to 16 as well and they should be able to do that without too much trouble. maybe they pickoff fla. st., miami, clemson, and a few others.

ok, so that's 3 superconferences that would be pretty formidable.

of those left-behind, at least 1 more superconference would form, probably around the ex-b12 teams plus byu, boise, tcu, and other "up and comers"...

the big east and acc survivors would probably combine to form a 5th superconference. i guess...

anyhow, it is crazy to think about it all...

and, better yet, if you have 5 superconferences and each has a ccg (which they all would), then you've got the foundation for a playoff system for sure. you'd take the 5 league champs and then you add maybe 3 "at-large" bids and you have a 3 game playoff for the nc. and, you'd elminate a lot of the complaints about programs being locked out, because 5 sixteen team conferences = 90 schools. there would only be another 20-30 or so that wouldn't be part of an auto-bid conference and, of those, few, if any, would be in a position to legitimately compete with those in the superconferences in any case.

So I know most of the talk has been about a joint Big 12 / Pac 10 network...but traditionally hasn't the PAC 10 had much closer ties with the Big 10. Under the "super-conference" theory what if it was actually the Big 10 that had a merged network with the Pac 10...Scott's deputy is the guy who helped put together the network deal for the Big 10. Hmmm... fun to speculate. You'd have a lot schools having to share that revenue, but then again you would have every major market west of the Mississippi, and some east of it, and probably on the basic cable tier in all those states, and essentially a challenger to ESPN/CBS for collegiate sports.

i think that neither the p10 or b10 are likely to drop schools ... same with the b12... they won't do that... the weak sisters are basically "grandfathered" in.

so, with that in mind, and assuming the p10 and b10 are working together, maybe it shakes out something like this:

p16:

usc/ucla
uw/wsu
ua/asu
stan/cal
ore/ore st
CU/utah
ut/atm
ou/ okie st? tcu? byu? someone else?

b16:
mich
msu
osu
ill
nw
psu
iowa
indiana
minn
wisc.
purdue
mizzery
fuskers
pitt
rutgers
notre dame (maybe they finally decide to play ball? or someone else in their place?)

then, you'd have to figure the sec is going to try to go to 16 as well and they should be able to do that without too much trouble. maybe they pickoff fla. st., miami, clemson, and a few others.

ok, so that's 3 superconferences that would be pretty formidable.

of those left-behind, at least 1 more superconference would form, probably around the ex-b12 teams plus byu, boise, tcu, and other "up and comers"...

the big east and acc survivors would probably combine to form a 5th superconference. i guess...

anyhow, it is crazy to think about it all...

Interesting thought, and I can definitely see the Big XII sitting on the table like a thanksgiving turkey for the Pac-10 and Big 10 if the whole superconference idea does take off.

One thing about your list - KU gets left out. I could see that happening with their football program, especially without Jabba coaching the team anymore. But KU basketball is a HUGE plum, and I'd be very surprised if the Big 10 didn't jump all over it if they expanded to the degree you're lining out. Probably in place of Notre Lame who I don't think will get on the conference train, but if not maybe in place of Rutgers or Pitt? You also have to look at the history and rivalry with Mizzery - for quite a few reasons I think KU would be a big draw to a 16 team Big 10. (Could we please finally call them the Big 16 then??? :rolling_eyes:)

My crystal ball says...

Four superconferences.

Bowl games + a 2 round (winner of each superconference) playoff. The runner-ups in the superconferences will lay claim to the remainder of the big bowl games, similar to the "B" final heat in the olympics. This system would allow for 6 top tier bowls, so we'll need the Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Cotton and another bowl to showcase these games.

Back