What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What 64 teams would ESPN pick if they got to choose?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Since I'm decompressing after a long, stressful work day and need a distraction, here's a bunch of mental masturbation you won't want to try to read on a phone. :p

It's easy to say that the SEC and B1G would stick around and pick whomever else they would want. But that's not totally what ESPN would pick if it could control it 100%.

But if it all blew up and became like putting together a 64-team league NFL style for college football, what schools would make the cut?

Pac-12: I think only OSU and WSU would be left out, so that's 10.

B1G: I think only Purdue would be left out, so that's 13 (+10 = 23).

SEC: I think that Vanderbilt and Miss State would be dropped, so that's 14 (+23 = 37).

ACC: For sure, you'd have Miami, FSU, UNC, Clemson, Virginia and Virginia Tech make it, so that's another 6 (+37 = 43).

Big 12: I think WVU, KU, TTU and OSU survive, so add 4 (+43=47).

Independents: Notre Dame is a given and BYU has the facilities and market to make that happen (+47 = 49).

G5: Considering home markets, school size and marketability, my guess is that UCF, Boise State, San Diego State and Houston get the call (+49 = 53).

The final 11 is where it gets harder:

I think that the populations and some history bring in Syracuse and Boston College (55).

Rivalries in football states that can handle multiple programs brings in Pitt, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech and NC State (59).

Now it's a matter of who gets left out as we narrow down to the final 5.

We've got 5 programs in CA with TX and FL able to handle the same and some NFL cities unrepresented -- TCU and USF make it (+59 = 61).

On the same note with media market, I think UNLV gets the invite (+61 = 62).

As crazy as it may seem, the 2 states with the most population which are not represented in this are now Connecticut and New Mexico. It's probably more valuable to put teams in those states than to add another metro (Nashville, Memphis, Philadelphia, etc. that are already reached by the existing teams). So, I get to 64 through UConn and UNM.

For those scoring at home:

Western 16: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, San Diego State, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Arizona State, UNLV, Boise State, Utah, BYU, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas Tech

Central 16: Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, Texas A&M, Houston, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois

Southeast 16: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, Miami, UCF, USF, Georgia, GA Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, VA Tech

Northeast 16: Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan St, Notre Dame, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Maryland, Rutgers, UConn, Syracuse, Boston College

Last edited:
Since I'm decompressing after a long, stressful work day and need a distraction, here's a bunch of mental masturbation you won't want to try to read on a phone. :p

It's easy to say that the SEC and B1G would stick around and pick whomever else they would want. But that's not totally what ESPN would pick if it could control it 100%.

But if it all blew up and became like putting together a 64-team league NFL style for college football, what schools would make the cut?

Pac-12: I think only OSU and WSU would be left out, so that's 10.

B1G: I think only Purdue would be left out, so that's 13 (+10 = 23).

SEC: I think that Vanderbilt and Miss State would be dropped, so that's 14 (+23 = 37).

ACC: For sure, you'd have Miami, FSU, UNC, Clemson, Virginia and Virginia Tech make it, so that's another 6 (+37 = 43).

Big 12: I think WVU, KU, TTU and OSU survive, so add 4 (+43=47).

Independents: Notre Dame is a given and BYU has the facilities and market to make that happen (+47 = 49).

G5: Considering home markets, school size and marketability, my guess is that UCF, Boise State, San Diego State and Houston get the call (+49 = 53).

The final 11 is where it gets harder:

I think that the populations and some history bring in Syracuse and Boston College (55).

Rivalries in football states that can handle multiple programs brings in Pitt, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech and NC State (59).

Now it's a matter of who gets left out as we narrow down to the final 5.

We've got 5 programs in CA with TX and FL able to handle the same and some NFL cities unrepresented -- TCU and USF make it (+59 = 61).

On the same note with media market, I think UNLV gets the invite (+61 = 62).

As crazy as it may seem, the 2 states with the most population which are not represented in this are now Connecticut and New Mexico. It's probably more valuable to put teams in those states than to add another metro (Nashville, Memphis, Philadelphia, etc. that are already reached by the existing teams). So, I get to 64 through UConn and UNM.

For those scoring at home:

Westen 16: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, San Diego State, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Arizona State, UNLV, Boise State, Utah, BYU, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas Tech

Central 16: ****braska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, Texas A&M, Houston, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois

Southeast 16: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, Miami, UCF, USF, Georgia, GA Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, VA Tech

Northeast 16: Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan St, Notre Dame, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Maryland, Rutgers, UConn, Syracuse, Boston College
Good list, and love that Baylor isn’t even mentioned.

Personally I’d drop Syracuse, New Mexico, Connecticut, and either Boise or NC State, in favor of Duke, Army, Navy, and Air Force.

I was surprised to hear on the yahoo college football podcast that navy is the program that brings the most viewers in the whole AAC.

I was surprised to hear on the yahoo college football podcast that navy is the program that brings the most viewers in the whole AAC.

I question how much of that are the annual games vs (non conf) ND and Army.

FWIW though, there are credible posters on the VT expansion board, including our ND guy, who think that Navy is the school most likely to join the ACC if Notre Dame becomes a full member.

FWIW though, there are credible posters on the VT expansion board, including our ND guy, who think that Navy is the school most likely to join the ACC if Notre Dame becomes a full member.
Not sure but I think it was with games controlled by the AAC which obviously gets a huge number with the army navy game too, I was just surprised to hear that. It’s also why you see air force included in lists about AAC expansion because they apparently bring in decent national numbers too

Not sure but I think it was with games controlled by the AAC which obviously gets a huge number with the army navy game too, I was just surprised to hear that. It’s also why you see air force included in lists about AAC expansion because they apparently bring in decent national numbers too
Makes sense that, especially with AFA, the crowd attendance at academy games is not representative of TV viewership.

I find it hard to believe that the ACC would be interested in Navy. Unless it's a ploy by ND to join: We'll join in football but only if you take Navy

I find it hard to believe that the ACC would be interested in Navy. Unless it's a ploy by ND to join: We'll join in football but only if you take Navy
agree -- that's the only way I'd see it playing out. The only other point though, is that Navy gives the ACC a school physically located in the WMA -- something the ACC has been missing since Mary left.

agree -- that's the only way I'd see it playing out. The only other point though, is that Navy gives the ACC a school physically located in the WMA -- something the ACC has been missing since Mary left.

They already have a good hold on the market with UVA and Tech and I can't imagine Navy adds much viewership to the DC market since their fans are all over the place. Like I said, if that is true then it must be a stipulation that ND is giving the ACC because ND wants to keep playing them, and I'm sure they want to keep both the Stanford and USC series intact so they can have a game in CA every year. So with those 2 non-conference games that wouldn't leave them much leeway with their non-conference schedule if Navy were also a non-conference game if they joined the ACC.

I don't think we end up with 64.

A more accurate assessment would be the same exercise for 32 or 48.

We may end up at 32 or 48, but there will be several steps taken prior to that. One of those steps will likely be a group of 64 teams. It’s a good number that will encompass programs from across the country and still have a college football vibe. Once we get to 32, the final nail is in the college football coffin and we are left with NFL-lite. I fully realize that’s the track we are on, but we still have a way to go before we get there.

Would you rather CU be a forever doormat or middle tier (ceiling) program of some 32-48 team super league, or a middle to upper tier program of a lower league that is comprised of the P5 leftovers/G5 additions?

Would you rather CU be a forever doormat or middle tier (ceiling) program of some 32-48 team super league, or a middle to upper tier program of a lower league that is comprised of the P5 leftovers/G5 additions?
I feel like we are already a doormat in the current system. Might as well be a doormat in a system where we get paid better and have the chance to catch lighting in a bottle every 10 years or so.

I feel like we are already a doormat in the current system. Might as well be a doormat in a system where we get paid better and have the chance to catch lighting in a bottle every 10 years or so.
Eh, CU won 10, 5, 5, 5, 4 (4-2) games that last 5 years in this system. Nothing great, but I think CU has elevated beyond the complete doormat status. Probably closer to average or slightly below average relative to the rest of the P5. If CU were to be included in a 32-48 team super league, they would be playing the likes of USC, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Bama, tOSU, Florida, OU, etc week in, week out instead of Oregon State, Arizona, Washington State, Cal, Stanford, etc.

I think instead of averaging 5-7 wins/season like they have the last 5 seasons, they'd initially be looking at 2-3 wins/season, IMO. Recruiting would certainly improve by default as part of the super league, but I still don't see them beating out many of the other programs in the league.

On the flip side, would they eventually be a regular 8-10 game winning program in a league whose best programs are teams like Oklahoma State, Arizona State, Iowa State, TCU, etc?

Might make real college football more exciting, like a return to the 60s or what we have in FCS now, but with higher quality play across the board. Maybe that supergroup can go off and **** themselves and the rest of the FBS outcasts will play a game that more resembles pageantry, tradition, “college try”.

Eh, CU won 10, 5, 5, 5, 4 (4-2) games that last 5 years in this system. Nothing great, but I think CU has elevated beyond the complete doormat status. Probably closer to average or slightly below average relative to the rest of the P5. If CU were to be included in a 32-48 team super league, they would be playing the likes of USC, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Bama, tOSU, Florida, OU, etc week in, week out instead of Oregon State, Arizona, Washington State, Cal, Stanford, etc.

I think instead of averaging 5-7 wins/season like they have the last 5 seasons, they'd initially be looking at 2-3 wins/season, IMO. Recruiting would certainly improve by default as part of the super league, but I still don't see them beating out many of the other programs in the league.

On the flip side, would they eventually be a regular 8-10 game winning program in a league whose best programs are teams like Oklahoma State, Arizona State, Iowa State, TCU, etc?
If my options are to be a forever 2-3 win team in a super league or a forever 8-10 win team in a lesser league, give me the latter. I want a competitive team who I a actually look forward to seeing play.

That is surprising. My impression from military folks I have talked to is that unless it's Navy, WP or AFA playing one another that it isn't something they pay much attention.

Also wondering if NIL kills the service academies as D1A. Their rules won't allow pay. Most of their athletes are there because it's their best offer, not because they're driven by service to their country and they think it would be cool to play some ball beyond high school - that the patriotic service is something that's instilled for the most part after signing on.

That is surprising. My impression from military folks I have talked to is that unless it's Navy, WP or AFA playing one another that it isn't something they pay much attention.

Also wondering if NIL kills the service academies as D1A. Their rules won't allow pay. Most of their athletes are there because it's their best offer, not because they're driven by service to their country and they think it would be cool to play some ball beyond high school (and have a guaranteed job when they graduate) - that the patriotic service is something that's instilled for the most part after signing on.
FIFY (at least the second part).

To the first part, it doesn't surprise me at all that Navy draws the audience. I know a lot of former Navy and Army officers, and the Navy guys will go out of their way to watch Navy play, whereas the Army guys, not so much (I actually wonder how much of this has to do with Navy being reasonably good when they were at school and Army being reasonably bad).

Add to that the fact that Navy games are usually pretty competitive well into the 4th quarter, and oftentimes they or their opponent either are, or are on the cusp of being, a ranked team. I know that on a random saturday afternoon of watching football, many of the P5 games are essentially decided by halftime, the other G5 games are blowouts and/or don't have ranked teams, and there seems to always be a 60-90 minute window every Saturday where the only interesting game on TV is Navy/______ .

Yeah, every canoeU guy I know is pretty passionate about their football team and typically have watch parties on a weekly basis. They invite me (almost as a matter of fact that I would root for that team), I throw up in my mouth, then say “no”

Back