What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What a great day & an awesom fonkin drive...

No, just that a resturaunt owned by a couple of business school buddies "looking to take advantage of the Mexican food trend" don't quite know as much about it as someone who grew up in Mexico and learned the business from the dish room up. The quote is from Hacienda Colorado's media package by the way.

There are actually a lot of good Mexican food places in Colorado, just not a lot of great ones.

And by the way, I have taken out of state guest to Casa Bonita just to entertain their kids. If you expect bad food as part of the deal, the rest of it is interesting enough to make it worth a visit occasionally.

follow up clarification...

why don't they put the meal you had at their home on the menu?

Optical illusion. The white and burgandy kind of mixes together to appear pinkish in a photo. :thumbsup:

Probably helps if you are tripping on shrooms, coke, crack, or the flavor of the day from your generation....

follow up clarification...

why don't they put the meal you had at their home on the menu?

Couple of reasons, one is that it would be very hard to make in a resturaunt setting and keep the quality that it needs, takes a long time to prepare but doesn't hold well. They could never tell when a customer was going to order it giving them enough lead time so that it comes out of the oven at the right time.

Bigger reason is that it is completely different from what people here expect to see on a menu in a Mexican resturaunt. A few years back they put a number of very authentic seafood dishes on the menu, really good stuff. They didn't get enough orders for them to justify keeping the ingredients and making the effort to prepare them, they did keep a couple of them but most got dropped, not for lack of quality but simply people wouldn't even try them.

Instead they have a number of things on the menu that are what people here expect but they season and prepare them more in the style that they learned than the competitors.

Burgandy.

You sure? I thought burgandy was darker than that....

Couple of reasons, one is that it would be very hard to make in a resturaunt setting and keep the quality that it needs, takes a long time to prepare but doesn't hold well. They could never tell when a customer was going to order it giving them enough lead time so that it comes out of the oven at the right time.

Bigger reason is that it is completely different from what people here expect to see on a menu in a Mexican resturaunt. A few years back they put a number of very authentic seafood dishes on the menu, really good stuff. They didn't get enough orders for them to justify keeping the ingredients and making the effort to prepare them, they did keep a couple of them but most got dropped, not for lack of quality but simply people wouldn't even try them.

Instead they have a number of things on the menu that are what people here expect but they season and prepare them more in the style that they learned than the competitors.

excellent answer. thanks mtn.

authentic mexican food rocks.

You've also got to remember that you're in Woodland Park. Zenophobia takes on a whole new shine at 8500 feet. I grew up there and if it can't be easily pronounced with a chew in your mouth and yelled into a drivethru speaker it probably won't succeed up there.

If they are willing to drive as far as Casa Bonita they should instead drive to some some food that taste good and is made by people who know how to make it. My recomendation would be Taqueria Patzcuaro on 32nd in Denver (2616 W. 32nd) Definitely much better than the overpriced gringo plates at Hacienda Colorado (founded and run by two guys named Hayes and Schmidt).

See, the thing about Casa Bonita is not that we are saying that the food is any good or anything-- but it is one of those tourist traps-- so corny that you HAVE to go at least once in your life. Take pictures, have fun and enjoy the corniness!! And then go somewhere else to eat.

I think you're too late. They are probably on their sopapillas right about now.

BTW, my wife and I went to Hacienda Colorado a while back. Never again. The food sucked and the service was worse. We made the mistake of going a little late and the wait staff seemed more interested in hurrying us to finish so they could go home.

I love HC. The beans have a great smokey flavor and I love the beef and bean tostadas. IF you get the loaded queso it has the beans in it which I love, and I usually get my side beans the black beans which are creamy. Just wonderful.

Back