What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What about....

I'd love get Les to CU. The clock management situations have been absurd, but Les has proven himself as a winner -- not just at LSU, but also at Oklahoma State. He turned Okie Lite around, and always had them ready to upset the big boys. He beat OU multiple times during his short tenure. The Mad Hatter would also have the ability to bring big-time talent into Boulder, possibly more than any other candidate.

I think it's unlikely we can get him, but LSU fans really want him gone despite the continued success. If one of the most successful coaches in the game is in a situation where he could well be looking for another job and says he loves Boulder, you should give it a go...

Woody Paige let it drop last week that Miles would come to CU.

The LSU Bleacher Report piece from a couple days ago said that we could get him for $2.5 and everyone would walk away happy.

If LSU beats Alabama this weekend, it's hard to see him leaving. But if he loses to 'bama and then closes the season with a loss to Arkansas to finish 9-3 (4th in SEC West), then I think Miles and LSU will both want to end the relationship.

Miles is my #1 choice.

I'll be supportive of any coach that CU hires, but Miles is on the short list of potential hires that would cause me to get out my check book.

if we paid miles that much, would we even have money left over to pay for a coaching staff? who would be our offensive coordinator? gary crowton? i think les miles seems like a complete dumbass. but the guy knows how to coach. he always makes the right decision on trick plays and going for it on fourth down (he's the luckiest bastard in the world). but if he's going to bring gary crowton, do not want

if we paid miles that much, would we even have money left over to pay for a coaching staff? who would be our offensive coordinator? gary crowton?

That's the kind of nearsighted thinking that is the reason CU is where it is. With Miles in the fold, donors will open their wallets. People will fill the stands. Coaches will want to join him. Have you ever heard the expression "you have to spend money to make money"? This is a perfect example of that.

Yup, basically it went down like this:

-- OSU president, various academics, half of power alums wanted Miles. In fact, when he left the first time, he was told they'd be calling him. (He apparently left OSU because Simmons had basically gone crazy.)
-- Boone Pickens, various power alums wanted Mike Gundy

Result? Plea bargain between the two sides. Miles is HC because of seniority, age and previous OC position at OSU; Gundy gets OC because Boone wanted him in the coaching staff and Miles was told he wouldn't have a choice in the matter there.

He might not have rushed off to follow Saban if it wasn't for Boone. Anyway...

People I know around here that still talk to him say Baton Rouge is waring him out and bugging his family. I just think they might have reached a point to get out of the insanity of the bayou and head to a place with a slower pace but still home to major BCS football. That place is Boulder and he loves it here.

In the end, we don't really know what will motivate a man to make a career change. It's usually money, but sometimes its not, especially when a guy gets older, is established and has some jack in the bank.

The rumor about him having to change his home phone number 5-6 times because of harassing and threatening phone calls is troubling. If that kind of stuff is happening I can't imagine they are too nice to the rest of his family either. The SEC has some sick fans.

kind of off topic, but on topic, making my first trip to Baton Rouge this weekend for the game. Anybody have any recommendations of places that are a must drink?

I'd take Les right now, only because he is a bigger name that would resonate better with today's recruits. Mac is the better X's and O's coach though. Les with arguably top 5 talent year in and year out always finds ways to lose games. He won't have that kind of talent at CU. However, Les should be able to put a solid staff behind him.

Whats stopping Les from bringing top 10 classes here like he does LSU? This nonsense that LSU recruits itself is stoopid.

Whats stopping Les from bringing top 10 classes here like he does LSU? This nonsense that LSU recruits itself is stoopid.

I think he could bring in good classes, but the difference is that LA is one of the most fertile recruiting states and it is right next to Texas also. There are a ****-ton of 5* and 4* players down there. Not much up here so you have to go out and recruit rather than having them come to you because they grew up in your backyard.

He would have to have a couple of winning season's here before he could start raking in top 10 classes. I'm good with top 20 classes. Anyone else? :lol:

He would have to have a couple of winning season's here before he could start raking in top 10 classes. I'm good with top 20 classes. Anyone else? :lol:

I will take that plus The Hat can coach them up.

Miles has had an average recruiting class rank of No. 6 since coming to LSU in 2005, according to Rivals.com.

Of the five recruiting classes Miles' has reeled in, only one has been outside of the top 10 (No. 11 in 2008).

Maybe the most successful thing Miles has been able to accomplish is the ability to find and develop hidden talent.

Miles played a major role in the progression of former Tigers Jacob Hester (2-star recruit), Glenn Dorsey (4-star), Tyson Jackson (3-star) and Brandon LaFell (3-star) — though former LSU coach Nick Saban originally recruited them.

Dorsey and Jackson were both first round picks, and LaFell and Hester both went in the third round.

http://www.lsureveille.com/mobile/r...tactics-yielding-impressive-classes-1.2414815

I'd take Les right now, only because he is a bigger name that would resonate better with today's recruits. Mac is the better X's and O's coach though. Les with arguably top 5 talent year in and year out always finds ways to lose games. He won't have that kind of talent at CU. However, Les should be able to put a solid staff behind him.

Yeah 1 or 2...he sucks.

sarcasm-detector.png

CU has had a number of Top 20 classes since 2002 (the year the Rivals database goes back to).

2002: #10 class nationally
2003: #19 class nationally
2008: #15 class nationally

Other classes have been in the 30s and 40s, but that's 3/9 years in the Top 20.

I see no reason that a winning coach who emphasizes recruiting can't consistently have CU pulling in Top 20 classes. It's not a hard place to recruit to.

Back