What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What are the biggest questions heading into spring practices?

Do you guys expect to have an experienced O-line? I'm not trying to flame just asking...I don't recall if you recruited what you need here or how injuries/attrition are playing a part. Honestly, I don't even know if you have good OL players returning. Obviously QB, WRs, TEs and RBs are key positions but isn't a solid O-line traditionally linked to better play at QB and RB? It looks like your CB and DB issues from last year should be fixed and your D-Line should be stabilized plus I recall you got some good D-line players. Nobody in the PAC ever believes they have enough talent at OL however, if I recall correctly, only furd landed a stellar O-Line. What are your strengths on O-Line?

We should. We lost Ryan Miller, Ethan Adkins, David Clark, Blake Behrens, Shawn Daniels, Sione Tau, and Paulay Asiata but only Ryan Miller and Ethan Adkins got good playing time. We return 10 OL with 4 of them being upper classmen with solid playing time to add onto the three we signed this year.

Source

We had a lot of guys get reps at OL last year that are young. It probably looks to be the least of our worries at the moment. We graduated 2 guys. We get back 1 from a broken ankle. We played 2 guys at center due to injury and the oldest of the two was a Soph. We will be young, but we should overall be quite a bit better at OL.

I always wonder what impact Miller will have here. He wasn't great at anything but he played a huge amount of reps and played pretty consistently never allowing an opposing player to completely dominate him.

Our strengths on the OL are Bahktiari and the amount of questions we have about who is gonna play around him.

That sounds problematic. Has the football program addressed how they're going to deal with the concerns of Allbuffs?

More seriously, I recall a thread or threads in the past that discussed the difficulty CU had in recruiting JC transfers to fill spots compared to the rest of the PAC. Is JC recruiting at CU still restricted or a taboo subject?

Last edited:
We should. We lost Ryan Miller, Ethan Adkins, David Clark, Blake Behrens, Shawn Daniels, Sione Tau, and Paulay Asiata but only Ryan Miller and Ethan Adkins got good playing time. We return 10 OL with 4 of them being upper classmen with solid playing time to add onto the three we signed this year.

So you have 13 on OL if I read you properly? But if I interpret buffaholic correctly, many of them have taken reps? That ain't half bad IMO...

My concerns are:

1. Will we have enough bodies at DL to get thru the spring and give our offense a chance to really test themselves? Unlikely.
2. Who will play CB? Henderson and ? Bell healthy enough? Moten? Same issues as #1.
3. Can Kasa be real good at TE, this fast.

Not too many teams filling this many holes at the D1 level....

My real interest beyond the key ones listed in the OP will be how many guys from the end of the Hawkins era and even JE's first class will step up and become D1 football players and how many will fall behind freshmen. We need guys to step up and play or move aside (frankly).

Guys on the clock:

Darden
Poston
Vigo
Lowell Williams
Cordary Allen (he has been moved around twice so perhaps the Coach's think he's worth working with?)
Nate Bonsu (injuries will keep him out this spring. Will he make it back strong enough to make the 2012 rotation?)
Stevie Joe D. (still young but played well behind a walkon True Frosh, which is a disappointment no matter how you look at it)
Grossnickel
Castor
Moten
Goodson

Some of these guys have a golden opportunity to explode onto the scene this spring as they will get reps by default.

OL is definitely a concern. The depth is suspect and we could be starting two very inexperienced players at the tackle spots.

That sounds problematic. Has the football program addressed how they're going to deal with the concerns of Allbuffs?

More seriously, I recall a thread or threads in the past that discussed the difficulty CU had in recruiting JC transfers to fill spots compared to the rest of the PAC. Is JC recruiting at CU still restricted or a taboo subject?

The reason we have so much trouble with JC recruiting is we don't accept D's and we don't accept physical education classes. There are not a lot of JC recruits who can meet the transfer requirements for CU, so we don't get many of them.

Unfortunately for us we don't have Cal's exemption policies to our admission standards for athletes.

1. QB position - CU needs better QB play and has not had it for the past 6 years. The team desperately needs this to improve. Someone needs to step up.
2. Defense in general with the CBs in particular. A lot of holes still on the defense ( I think 4-5 true freshmen could be on the 2 deep on defense). I know the team could not run some of the schemes they wanted to because they did not have enough talent and experience on that side of the ball.
3. Tight End...an area where probably 2 true frosh may get a lot of time.

I'd like to know 3 things:

Will I be mourning Wood?

Will we be chewing on CUD?

Will I be saluting Major?

I would say OL,TE and QB. OL needs to be a positive, TE is thin and still concerned at QB until we see what connor wood can do.

Can thornton,kasa and slavin hold it down at TE this season?

We need some maulers up front on OL but losing asiata isn't helping matters. They like lewis but he and the rest of our OL need to put back on the weight they seemed to have lost last spring. Looked like a basketball team. More green bananas.

I would say OL,TE and QB. OL needs to be a positive, TE is thin and still concerned at QB until we see what connor wood can do.

Can thornton,kasa and slavin hold it down at TE this season?

We need some maulers up front on OL but losing asiata isn't helping matters. They like lewis but he and the rest of our OL need to put back on the weight they seemed to have lost last spring. Looked like a basketball team. More green bananas.
They're put on weight and a lot of it. Go back and watch the camp videos.

The three areas that are okay, not great but okay are

QB
WR
OL

We are not going to determine or reach any reasonable conclusion about any player this spring. They should just work on the playbook and fundamentals.

Scholarships are up for grab here folks - make no mistake. This is TRYOUTS. Embree absolutely can't afford to keep D2's mistakes around for 2-3 more years while only having 10 scholarships (or whatever the laughable number is) for next year. This is the mood out there for quite a few guys. They know JE doesn't pull punches. If you don't show you belong in a rising D1 program, you will be told so. Put yourself in the mix for PT now or you will be buried by the youth movement.

#1 story - how do we look at QB, 1 thru 4?
#2 story - who establishes themselves as players, who leaves?

So if the buzz on Connor Wood is not good coming out of the spring, we got issues.

1. Can the BUFFS run the ball?
2. Can the BUFFS get a QB to make good fast decisions when throwing the ball?
3. Can the BUFFS win at least 6 games? please!

Back