What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What are the top 5 college football teams/schools/fanbases you most love to hate?

Maybe, but lets look where the barn is now, and where Oregon is. The barn, along with all the stinking animal dookie inside it, has burned to the ground. When the SCAM-wagon rolled through town it ran over our team and yours too. Then it vanished into the wild blue yonder, along with their program. Their coach was fired 2 seasons after they won the NCG. They're clearly a joke while Oregon remains relevant long after they've dropped off the map.

They are the luckiest team on earth. They didnt run over either of us.

It's like a company line you guys have going. Every Duck claims to be a fan says the days of like "Dizzy Dean" or something. You have a large bandwagon following right now. We know it. You know it. Just roll with it an accept it as a sign of your winning at any cost mentality.

It's not like Oregon just started getting good, sure we've been on a very nice role the last few years, but this has been a long time coming. Also, I was at the game when Ed Reinhardt got hurt and I have a lot of strong memories about how Oregon and Colorado became close over that accident. You will not hear me saying negative things about Colorado.

Yes, we are going to have bandwagon fans. It's our job as Duck fans to help educate them and bring them along so they become strong sophisticated Duck fans for decades to come.

It's like a company line you guys have going. Every Duck claims to be a fan since the days of like "Dizzy Dean" or something. You have a large bandwagon following right now. We know it. You know it. Just roll with it an accept it as a sign of your winning at any cost mentality. Methinks amongst the older Duck crowd of alums there's a fair share that were quite dormant in their fandom for many years until recent successes. That's perfectly natural, however annoying it is to this current crop of Buff fans here that stick it out through anything.
I think they expect us to be fans since back in the days people rode horses to ball games.

Well at least Bama fans and Oregon fans are still bitter about 2010. Allsome.

Just so you know SEC fans hate the other schools. No real Alabama fan has cheered for any other SEC in bowl games.

But you guys cheer for other teams to knock off potential opponents that might give you trouble in the NCG, as you prefer to play weaker competition in order to maintain the streak.

But you guys cheer for other teams to knock off potential opponents that might give you trouble in the NCG, as you prefer to play weaker competition in order to maintain the streak.

I did want nd to win out last year so Bama could play them but overall not true. We do cheer for teams above us to lose to get back in after a loss.

It's like a company line you guys have going. Every Duck claims to be a fan since the days of like "Dizzy Dean" or something. You have a large bandwagon following right now. We know it. You know it. Just roll with it an accept it as a sign of your winning at any cost mentality. Methinks amongst the older Duck crowd of alums there's a fair share that were quite dormant in their fandom for many years until recent successes. That's perfectly natural, however annoying it is to this current crop of Buff fans here that stick it out through anything.

Lets face it. The Oregon football team has sucked azz since the university was founded back in the 1800's. You can support your team and go to football games but there's no real reason to celebrate anything when they're sucking. Only recently have we found our way. Oregon is correct to pull out the alphorns, saddle up the warhorses and march through the valleys en-force, into and out of other teams' stadiums like an overwhelming storm. The bandwagoners of which you speak comprise the vanguard, and they are always the first to be felled by the arrows. True ducks wear tougher armor. :rock3:

What's a Bama fan doing this far away from Tuscaloosa? Are you stalking the ducks?

Bama charlie is so busted. He joined this site in 2006 knowing that one day CU would join the PAC 10 and he could find scoop on the ducks.

Clearly you have an opinion about the rise of the University of Oregon football team, I'm curious what your opinion is in relation to the Lyle issue and the Nike money. I'm certainly not a "newbie" Duck fan. I've been a Duck fan since the Kamakazi Kids days (1970s bball teams coached by Dick Harter). That was at the same time Oregon football was pretty consistently in the BOTTOM 10 in the nation.

I grew up in Eugene and rooted for the Ducks through my childhood (I have family members that graduated from U of O as well). As a CU grad from the early 90s, it's obvious where my loyalties lie. But I grew to actively hate the Ducks about the time they quit being the front porch of the University of Oregon, and became the front porch for Nike.

Just so you know SEC fans hate the other schools. No real Alabama fan has cheered for any other SEC in bowl games.

I've seen plenty of, mostly LSU fans, cheer for other SEC schools to prove that the SEC is the best. Especially when I come around because, for some reason, they think I'm going to do the same thing for the Pac-12. Really the only team they won't cheer for in the conference is Bama.

I grew up in Eugene and rooted for the Ducks through my childhood (I have family members that graduated from U of O as well). As a CU grad from the early 90s, it's obvious where my loyalties lie. But I grew to actively hate the Ducks about the time they quit being the front porch of the University of Oregon, and became the front porch for Nike.

I don't personally like Nike but get real. If some large donor started throwing money at your program don't try to tell me your fans and your school would be so principled that they would balk at accepting it. :rolling_eyes:

I don't personally like Nike but get real. If some large donor started throwing money at your program don't try to tell me your fans and your school would be so principled that they would balk at accepting it. :rolling_eyes:
He's not saying that at all.

There were a number of things that happened in the 90s that impacted where the Ducks are today. Sure Phil Knight has been a very large part of it, but other things have contributed as well. Rich Brooks took over a very bad Oregon program in 1977 and built them from a bottom 10 team into a Rose Bowl team in 1994. It was a slow process, but given how bad Oregon was it took a long time to become respectable. Then in 1996 the state of Oregon changed how state universities get funding. Basically, previous to 1996 the U of O was supporting the smaller state Universities, bringing in about $14 per credit hour and getting to keep $8 per credit hour. In 1996 they let the universities keep the money they brought in. Oregon took some of that money and invested it in athletics. Currently 50% of the revenues received from the sale of Duck gear go to academics, so the better the Oregon athletic brand sells the more revenues for improving academics. All of this was independent of the contributions Phil Knight made. But they were the keys to the foundation Uncle Phil helped build on. And for the record, Uncle Phil has been a good contributor to academics as well. That's why we have the Knight Library and the Knight Law School. Obviously no arguing with what he's done for athletics, Autzen expansion, Matt Knight arena, indoor practice facilities, training facilites, etc. And perhaps equally important, national branding of the University of Oregon.

There were a number of things that happened in the 90s that impacted where the Ducks are today. Sure Phil Knight has been a very large part of it, but other things have contributed as well. Rich Brooks took over a very bad Oregon program in 1977 and built them from a bottom 10 team into a Rose Bowl team in 1994. It was a slow process, but given how bad Oregon was it took a long time to become respectable. Then in 1996 the state of Oregon changed how state universities get funding. Basically, previous to 1996 the U of O was supporting the smaller state Universities, bringing in about $14 per credit hour and getting to keep $8 per credit hour. In 1996 they let the universities keep the money they brought in. Oregon took some of that money and invested it in athletics. Currently 50% of the revenues received from the sale of Duck gear go to academics, so the better the Oregon athletic brand sells the more revenues for improving academics. All of this was independent of the contributions Phil Knight made. But they were the keys to the foundation Uncle Phil helped build on. And for the record, Uncle Phil has been a good contributor to academics as well. That's why we have the Knight Library and the Knight Law School. Obviously no arguing with what he's done for athletics, Autzen expansion, Matt Knight arena, indoor practice facilities, training facilites, etc. And perhaps equally important, national branding of the University of Oregon.

Wow. Talk about a couple of non-sequiters.

Yea, blitz and I don't always see things the same. But that's fine. I'll stand by my statement.

The statement that was completely misaligned with my point?

The Ducks are a merchandising arm of Nike, and somewhat responsible for pushing college football further down a path with which I'm increasingly uncomfortable. At no point did I request a history lesson of Coach Brooks. I lived there during that era, I'm well aware of U of O's slow grind from futility. It seems like you had that response on auto-dial, and wanted to pull it out whether not it was quite apt.

The statement that was completely misaligned with my point?

The Ducks are a merchandising arm of Nike, and somewhat responsible for pushing college football further down a path with which I'm increasingly uncomfortable. At no point did I request a history lesson of Coach Brooks. I lived there during that era, I'm well aware of U of O's slow grind from futility. It seems like you had that response on auto-dial, and wanted to pull it out whether not it was quite apt.

Seriously??? Ease up a bit ok. What got you all bent out of shape anyway? Sure the Ducks are providing merchandising for Nike, why would you have a problem with that? What university isn't a merchandising/advertising arm for some corporation? How many college stadiums are named after corporations? Reiser, comes to mind quickly. I think ASU is Wells Fargo.... Sure Nike is deeply involved at the U of O, but it did start there.... So what's the beef? It's not like Oregon was the first university to embrace corporate support.

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-business/ci_23913767/walmart-films-steak-ad-at-cu-boulders-folsom

did you guys know A bison’s hump is composed of muscle, supported by long vertebrae. It allows the animal to use its head to plow through snow.

did you guys know a Bison can run up to 40 mph? That equates to 2.08 40 time.

Seriously??? Ease up a bit ok. What got you all bent out of shape anyway? Sure the Ducks are providing merchandising for Nike, why would you have a problem with that? What university isn't a merchandising/advertising arm for some corporation? How many college stadiums are named after corporations? Reiser, comes to mind quickly. I think ASU is Wells Fargo.... Sure Nike is deeply involved at the U of O, but it did start there.... So what's the beef? It's not like Oregon was the first university to embrace corporate support.

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-business/ci_23913767/walmart-films-steak-ad-at-cu-boulders-folsom

The athletic programs of those other universities still represent the school. I think Oregon/Nike has reached a tipping point. But clearly you didn't understand my point about being uncomfortable with the trajectory of college football.

Also, I serve on the board of directors for a fair trade lobby (a losing battle for obvious reasons), and deal with Nike a bit more than you might imagine.

You want me to ease up a bit? Seriously, what's up with our two Oregon fans (those who aren't Canadian)? I haven't exactly lowered the boom.

The athletic programs of those other universities still represent the school. I think Oregon/Nike has reached a tipping point. But clearly you didn't understand my point about being uncomfortable with the trajectory of college football.

Also, I serve on the board of directors for a fair trade lobby (a losing battle for obvious reasons), and deal with Nike a bit more than you might imagine.

You want me to ease up a bit? Seriously, what's up with our two Oregon fans (those who aren't Canadian)? I haven't exactly lowered the boom.

Ever run at a gaggle of ducks? Even with bread crumbs in your pockets they still frighten easy.

I do understand the fair trade issue. And yes, it's an up hill battle and it's complicated. I'm curious what sports apparel company's you consider good stewards on the fair trade front.

Back