What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What are your ideas to improve recruiting?

Agree that we have to have somebody who can be effective in Texas, Jeffcoat was supposed to be that guy but hasn't done the job so far.

We are at a disadvantage since most of the PAC schools are much closer to home for the Cali kids though Cali should still be our main supplier of talent.

That in mind though we should have a huge advantage over the rest of the PAC in Texas. We are a one day drive from most of Texas so kids can drive home or parents can drive up to see them play without paying for airfares.

Colorado is also as mentioned earlier the favorite vacation spot for Texans and culturally Texans seem to be able to very comfortable in Colorado, even Boulder.

For kids who don't want to go B12 or B1G Colorado offers a chance to play west coast football and still be in a comfortable place. The number of successful former Texans we can show them who went through the program is another big advantage.

So, we need to hire a better recruiter for Texas. We also have to simply start to win some games. Not saying we have to win the conference or even go to a bowl but we have to be able to show progress. We have to win 4-5 games next season minimum and more would be better, we also have to beat at least a couple PAC teams to show that we are getting better and that we can win games in the conference to recruits.
other then Dallas area - that is a long ass "short" drive. I have made that drive bunches and it suks.

We need at least a few assistants that can recruit. I spoke with one current assistant a while back about recruiting. He told me his main focus was to find guys that weren't recruited by others. Scared (and scares) the crap out of me. Tough living.
Interesting. Maybe when we were the worst FBS team, that made some sense. But I think we have shown enough on the field we could pick up a few 4-5* to come here, be part of the rebuild and have an immediate impact. I got sick of hearing Su'A Craven's name during our game at USC. I wish he'd been a Buff!!!

I would like to see a bigger emphasis on the Kansas City and St. Louis areas. I think it would be worth the time. Obviously Texas would be a great way to position ourselves in the PAC 12 if we could pull it off. Wouldn't mind it being our most important state behind instate talent.

We've discussed this at length, but staff changes are #1. We have to add one or two more position coaches who are strong recruiters.

There also needs to be a philosophical shift in recruiting. We have to aim high and do everything possible to land a higher caliber of recruit. CUFan referenced this, but we can't keep filling up 3/4 of our class with unknown 2*'s in September and hope to improve recruiting. We need to show those guys interest and follow their senior seasons, but they need to be backup plans, not the core of the class.

Last edited:
other then Dallas area - that is a long ass "short" drive. I have made that drive bunches and it suks.

It is a long drive, and a boring one as well.

That said it is much more practical than driving to LA or NoCal or the Pacific Northwest.

CU needs to learn from Moneyball. The A's would never be able to out-spend the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox the same way that we aren't going to out-recruit USC, Oregon and Texas as a whole. I do NOT think hiring "better" recruiters will make a huge difference. I am in favor of adding a couple new coaches, but no matter how good of a salesperson they are the player ultimately would have to choose CU over one of those top-notch programs. That's not going to happen often.

We have to come up with an effective game-plan to win on the field and off of it. We have to take advantage of weaknesses. The PAC-12 is made up of mostly finesse teams with great speed and great passing QB's. However, they lack size, toughness and good defenses (Only 1 P12 school in the top 25 defenses).

OFFENSE:

If we continue to try to out-recruit PAC12 schools for the best QBs, WRs, speedy RBs and finesse OL we will continue to be a losing team. We may get lucky and get a few diamonds in the rough, but we will always be less talented.

HOWEVER, I think we should make a decision as a program to become a Run First Offense led by an athletic running QB. No, I don't mean that we should look like Air Force offense. I mean that we should mirror more of a Stanford or many Big 10 schools. We don't HAVE to out recruit most of the P12 schools for the best running QB's. The #2 Dual-Threat QB in CA committed to Oregon St and had 2 offers. We can also target the best bruising type of RBs and powerful run-blocking OL. Our running offense will take time off of the clock and keep the P12 high-powered offenses on the sidelines. We'll see lower scoring games and we'll physically and emotionally beat up all of these PAC12 schools just like we did when we were a BIG 12 powerhouse!

DEFENSE:

First of all, our defense will be helped by the fact that they aren't spending the whole game on the field. That means that the current players will be able to perform better and take the other offense out of rythm. But becoming a better defense also means that we'll have to adapt a badass mentality that we are going to make people hate to play us. I also think that we need to play much more aggressive. The "reactive" defense we have sucks. Let's blitz them, crush them and cause some turn-overs! Of course we'll give up big plays, but we are already doing that at a record number. Once we establish a reputation as a defense you don't want to **** with, the right players will come to CU.

I'm sure many of you will point out that my ideas will never become a reality. I don't doubt that, at least any time soon. I don't know if this staff is capable of making this kind of change. I assume they wouldn't even consider it. Even though I like Mac as a coach, I think it will result in his firing by the end of the 2016 season. I don't see how we can continue to do the same things over and over and expect a different result.. It's insanity!!

CU needs to learn from Moneyball. The A's would never be able to out-spend the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox the same way that we aren't going to out-recruit USC, Oregon and Texas as a whole. I do NOT think hiring "better" recruiters will make a huge difference. I am in favor of adding a couple new coaches, but no matter how good of a salesperson they are the player ultimately would have to choose CU over one of those top-notch programs. That's not going to happen often.

Pretty sure the coaches have figured it out....it is the fans that struggle with us not getting tons of 4 and 5 star recruits

where is Chukwuma at in the recruiting process? Looked for his thread, there was one on here? I thought.
He looked really good against Valor the other night. Couple of those Valor kids our staff needs to get on and actually a couple of those Grandview kids looked ligit starting with their QB. I like Montez better, but kid looked ligit.

Last edited:
Interesting. Maybe when we were the worst FBS team, that made some sense. But I think we have shown enough on the field we could pick up a few 4-5* to come here, be part of the rebuild and have an immediate impact. I got sick of hearing Su'A Craven's name during our game at USC. I wish he'd been a Buff!!!
I imagine 123 other D1 teams would love to have the #12 player in the 2013 class. I don't buy CUFan's post for a minute though.

I hope Montez is a player, but as I said earlier in this thread there is just not that many players in W Texas, and with the fall of Odessa Permian as an annual power the level of Football out there is without question lower grade then Colorado HS Football. In fact no team from El Paso in the long and storied history of Texas High School football has ever won a state title. The level of competition in El Paso is extremely average at best.

I hope Montez is a player, but as I said earlier in this thread there is just not that many players in W Texas, and with the fall of Odessa Permian as an annual power the level of Football out there is without question lower grade then Colorado HS Football. In fact no team from El Paso in the long and storied history of Texas High School football has ever won a state title. The level of competition in El Paso is extremely average at best.
If the coaches hadn't seen him first hand when he camped with us I'd be more worried about that.

Pretty sure the coaches have figured it out....it is the fans that struggle with us not getting tons of 4 and 5 star recruits

Right, however our coaches are still trying to recruit similar types of players as all the other P 12 schools. My point was that we COULD get higher ranked players that would fit a smash mouth running scheme.

Right, however our coaches are still trying to recruit similar types of players as all the other P 12 schools. My point was that we COULD get higher ranked players that would fit a smash mouth running scheme.
Or we could continue with the offensive identity that we are developing. Building a smash mouth offense is not as simple as you are making it out to be and a smash mouth offense amplifies lack of talent.

Or we could continue with the offensive identity that we are developing. Building a smash mouth offense is not as simple as you are making it out to be and a smash mouth offense amplifies lack of talent.
as we found out with Embree's scheme

either tons of talent around a mediocre QB or a real athletic dynamic QB that can take control

what are we talking about? I liked Nik's ideas, but I think the fixes are so obvious that there isn't much discussion to be had.

MM2 recruiting has been average, but he has pulled in a few immediate contributors.

CU current plan seems to be to evaluate in person and offer identified talent (regardless of "*" star rating). MM2 seems confident that he and his staff can develop talent and he has stated that he may recruit football players with a different position in mind, based on the ability or frame, from what they played in HS.

This is all great and, over time, I believe he can execute this patient recruiting strategy. It worked at SJSU. Problem is we can't be patient.

So, the key would appear to be recruiting the JUCO and transfer players hard. We have discussed how difficult it is to recruit JUCO to CU, but 2 or 3 per recruiting cycle could infuse physically developed players at key positions and allow MM2 HS recruits to fill in/develop to their potential before seeing playing time. Much of the P12 recruits JUCO and I think it is a fight worth having (again) with admissions or administration.

There are not enough diamonds in the rough to consistently think that MM2 can hit every year while closing the talent gap with the rest of the P12.

We definitely WILL continue developing that identity. And I think that's why Mac will be jobless by 2017. I'm not expecting CU to change really anything we've been doing. I only listed what I would do if I had the ability to control this program for the same 5 years that Mac will get.

I never said it was easy. But we would recruit a higher level of player to that scheme simply because we wouldn't be competing with the top P12 schools.

Oregon will never win a championship because they will always end up playing a team that will overpower them and have good enough athletes on defense to stop their high speed offense.

CU has NEVER been a winning team with a finesse passing offense. It looks weird to me. I think certain programs have identities and our is not one of finesse. Even Nebraska had to learn the same lesson. Colorado Football was once a proud powerhouse. We used to just line up and run all over people. We had a heisman RB! I miss those days. There are teams winning like that in today's college football. CU should be one of them.

Tini, I know this isn't the simple easy answer you're hoping for. Sorry kiddo. I just don't see us as a top 25 program anytime soon with this offense and recruiting.

MacIntyre is going to be jobless because he runs an offense that puts points up and at the same time controls the clock? If it was so much easier to recruit for a smash mouth offense why was Embree's OL recruiting sub-par...and TE recruiting. And RB recruiting? And QB recruiting? You need to get over what we ran in the past, it doesn't matter. That line of thinking is what got us in the situation with Embree. Learn and adapt, don't live in the past.

Win and recruiting will improve. Right now we are selling a Kia in a Audi market.

MacIntyre is going to be jobless because he runs an offense that puts points up and at the same time controls the clock? If it was so much easier to recruit for a smash mouth offense why was Embree's OL recruiting sub-par...and TE recruiting. And RB recruiting? And QB recruiting? You need to get over what we ran in the past, it doesn't matter. That line of thinking is what got us in the situation with Embree. Learn and adapt, don't live in the past.

Win and recruiting will improve. Right now we are selling a Kia in a Audi market.

Embree recruited Sefo.

Haha so Embree is the foremost authority on smash mouth football? Cmon dude. Embree shouldn't have been hired and was set up to fail. Ever heard of Barnett? I know 2001 was before you were born, but that was the last time we really played at a relevant level.

I'very never said we need a "CU" guy. I just want to see our program make a shift back to running first and playing like Buffs. We will NEVER consistently beat USC, Oregon and UCLA at their game. That's what I think.

Back