What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What could be done now

skibum

Thou shalt not groom Mary Jane
Club Member
What I've seen with Embree & Co, is that their coaching skills do not match up with what we need right now. I suspect that they have too much nfl experience: they assume a higher football IQ/talent in their players than exists (or could even be reasonably expected to exist). To draw an analogy, I think it's as if they are teaching calculus to students that haven't even mastered algebra.

It keeps on looking to me that the players feel like they are in over their heads: they don't understand enough of the game plan/playbook to really perform well. Many of the college programs out there that are doing really well don't do anything that's really all that complicated (if you doubt this, do some serious research into Oregon's, or Leach's, or any "zone-read" offense out there; hint: they are a lot more basic than they appear to be on the surface). What they do is keep it simple, make sure that talented players thoroughly understand what they are supposed to do, and then go out and do it.

To answer a question that a few people have asked more than once (what could be done today, right now, that would make a difference this season), I think the answer is "simplify."

-Start by throwing out half or more of the playbook.

-Teach each receiver two routes that match their skills, and teach them to run it perfectly, every time - then substitute receivers if you need different routes (oh, how Kasa could improve with this...).

-Teach the linemen simple, basic reads to decide who to block - sure, a sophisticated blitz will get through, but who cares? You hardly ever see those in college, and right now simple blitzes and even base, no blitz defenses are beating our linemen.

-Call simpler plays - it seems that as we struggle more and more, the deeper into the playbook EB digs, and the less sure everyone on the field is with where they're supposed to be, and what they're supposed to be doing once they get there. I would be happier with 15-25 plays that everyone on the field knows perfectly and executes aggressively than I am with what we're seeing now. (Hell, at this point, I would be happy with 10 plays that were executed perfectly and with lots of aggression.)

-If you're serious about getting different quarterbacks into the game and getting them experience, limit them to 8 to 10 different plays that can be called - and make sure they know each one perfectly.

-Defense is harder to simplify, but it still needs to be done (and probably should have been done the moment Polk got hurt - his leadership in the backfield made "complex" a lot more possible).

At the end of the day, I think the coaches are trying to build a playbook and coach a team that would not be flummoxed by any NFL-level strategy. But, they don't need to be ready for NFL style linebacker shifts, blitz packages, etc - they need to be ready for the strategy that a bunch of sheep farmers and FCS teams are capable of deploying.

Keep it simple...

I have mentioned this before, and used to go on about it, but the WCO is ill suited for college. GB ran it with shortbus for the latter part of his stint here, and we heard endlessly about "simplifying the playbook". CFB limits teams to 20 hrs. per week of practice. You just cannot fit enough of the WCO into a player's head at 20 hrs. a week. The pros have much more time and even Shanny has said the third year a QB is in a system is when they really get the hang of it. And those guys are pros doing nothing but FB. At some point the WCO simplified playbook defeats the idea of the WCO in the first place, (i.e. a complicated multiple read offense that takes what the d gives). JMO.

This is why NFL coaches don't do overly well in college football a lot of the time. It's not the same game.

It's not about the x's and o's. It's about the Jimmies and Joes.

Got to get the players in here.

You think Lane Kiffen is a great coach?

You want to run air raid. With our WR's. :lol:
Right now? Yeah it'd suck. But long term, I think it has more potential than the pro style. I'm just not sold on the pro style in the Pac 12 where we will need to put up points.

Right now? Yeah it'd suck. But long term, I think it has more potential than the pro style. I'm just not sold on the pro style in the Pac 12 where we will need to put up points.
I don't think you even know what you are talking about.

yep air raid Sac St. did it against us with their WR that lacked speed why keep running the ball when it hasnt worked the past 2 years we dont know but how about they give it a try!

Their QB also knew how to throw the ball. We don't have anyone who can do that.

Honestly? Nothing. This is one of the worst BCS football teams ever put together. Laugh to try and keep yourself from crying, that's what can be done now.

good point --- and get the ball in your true play makers hands. When the defense loads up to stop that, it opens up new plays and players. key here is -who are our play makers??

Creatini - the point of the pro style is ball control. Defense needs to get the other team off the field 1st. then a nice slow grind down the field killing the clock. Then once again the defense has to stop those quick strike offenses?? I personally like the zone read, it is like the modern version of the option... + lots of high schools all over the country are running zone read = easier to recruit...Our coaches are going to say you can lure big time recruits with the pro style because of preperation for the nfl

Creatini - the point of the pro style is ball control (1). Defense needs to get the other team off the field 1st. then a nice slow grind down the field killing the clock. Then once again the defense has to stop those quick strike offenses?? I personally like the zone read, it is like the modern version of the option... + lots of high schools all over the country are running zone read = easier to recruit...Our coaches are going to say you can lure big time recruits with the pro style because of preperation for the nfl (2)
1. I realize this 100%, I'm just not a big fan and so far, we haven't been able to control the clock at all. That and I find those types of offenses boring
2. I'm curious as to how true this is (not saying you're wrong, just curious about the validity of it

I just hope with our next coach, he and his OC run the air raid or spread

1. I realize this 100%, I'm just not a big fan and so far, we haven't been able to control the clock at all. That and I find those types of offenses boring
2. I'm curious as to how true this is (not saying you're wrong, just curious about the validity of it

the argument over the spread or air raid here in Colorado has always been the weather... now that lots of games are in cali and az, not much argument there anymore. Like I was saying the simpler the better at the college level. Zone read with some play action pass.

The difficulty with the WCO in college is, in addition to the complexity, and difficulty in instilling the O within 20 hour parctice weeks, is it allows for precious few mistakes. The grind it out, 14 play 66 yard drive 5:52 time of possession drive, while great if it works, is awfully hard to achieve given age, experience and practice limits present in CFB.

Oh and the weather does not seem to be as bad here in Boulder like it was back in the 70"s and 80's (during football season) especially if we are not playing in post season games:cry:

In my opinion, the best system in the college game is to have a system. You coach to it. You recruit to it. You ingrain it. You create a tangible culture around it.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Teams win with pro style. Other teams win with the running spread, the passing spread, etc.

I believe the key is to have an identity, to have a simple, clear and focused identity/plan--and then do it well, whatever it is. At practice it's over and over and over and over again. Mastery.

Once you get the machine up and running it gets a whole lot easier to sustain. It’s plug and play because you recruit the same type of guys each year. Look at Oregon and Bama. Oregon loses a speedy RB or QB, and presto, they plug in another guy who looks just the same. Can’t tell the difference. They guys coming in already have a good understanding of what they need to do because there is consistency year to year to year. It’s a machine.

Look at all of Bama’s quarterbacks over the past few years. They’re clones of each other.

Back