What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What criticism is acceptable in the recruiting forum?

Probably the big difference is in the margin between critique and attack. If I say a kid looks to be a step slow for his position that is different than saying that the kid is a lousy football player. Same thing with saying that the level of competiton that a kid has faced is questionable versus making a statement that a kid sucks.

We just need to be careful with how we say things and keep them appropriate.

With that all stated, this does happen to be a specific kids thread so if Nik were to split this off into a separate thread I think it would make sense.

None of those things we're discussed by the comment that started this discussion. Can we move this to the island?

I posted those kinds of things in the Dominique Love thread and you acted like I was singlehandedly destroying recruiting by having an opinion..........

I hate you. :smile2:

I posted those kinds of things in the Dominique Love thread and you acted like I was singlehandedly destroying recruiting by having an opinion..........

I hate you. :smile2:
I don't want you to hate me, but why hamper recruiting efforts? If it was barzil and you said you hate a kid, i'd be fine.

I was kidding, I don't hate you, hence the smiley.

I know what you're saying and I just don't agree. I don't think I'm "hampering recruiting efforts" by being critical. Like others have said, if the kid can't handle some criticism on a message board, there's no way he'll last 4 or 5 years with Embree and crew yelling at them.

Do you really think I "hate" these kids? I have no personal problem with them. I just don't think some of them are all that awesome. I guess I just don't understand why you're suddenly on a crusade against me to get any negativity off of the board? Because Dominique Love stopped by? He didn't seem scared off.. People have posted negative things on the threads of the Irwin twins and Jeff Thomas and their parents post on here, they don't seem overly worried about it.

I know what you're saying and I just don't agree. I don't think I'm "hampering recruiting efforts" by being critical. Like others have said, if the kid can't handle some criticism on a message board, there's no way he'll last 4 or 5 years with Embree and crew yelling at them.

Do you really think I "hate" these kids? I have no personal problem with them. I just don't think some of them are all that awesome. I guess I just don't understand why you're suddenly on a crusade against me to get any negativity off of the board? Because Dominique Love stopped by? He didn't seem scared off.. People have posted negative things on the threads of the Irwin twins and Jeff Thomas and their parents post on here, they don't seem overly worried about it.

fwiw, saying that you're not impressed with someone is not a criticism. It's only an opinion.

As a general rule, if someone has a negative opinion it would be nice to hear what the actual criticism is. That doesn't really cut both ways. There's a lot more tolerance for unsupported positive opinions. :smile:

You're fine, You're a buff fan. I don't think you hate them, but I do get hung up on unsubstantiated opinions. Like I said, I view us as part of a sales effort initially, so I am worried about perception. I had a problem with 'tini's "hookers & blow" comment in a thread as well. I don't know what you do for a living, but I do know that if we drive people away based on our comments we'll never know. I remain uncomfortable with the idea of inhibiting recruiting efforts.

fwiw, saying that you're not impressed with someone is not a criticism. It's only an opinion.

As a general rule, if someone has a negative opinion it would be nice to hear what the actual criticism is. That doesn't really cut both ways. There's a lot more tolerance for unsupported positive opinions. :smile:

Yeah I know, I said I'd clarify in the future when I'm not being super positive. Were my comments in the Dominique Love thread acceptable? I usually try to say why I do or do not like a recruit, I was just being lazy here for whatever reason.

Yeah I know, I said I'd clarify in the future when I'm not being super positive. Were my comments in the Dominique Love thread acceptable? I usually try to say why I do or do not like a recruit, I was just being lazy here for whatever reason.

Yep.

That's cool. I would observe that Juda Parker didn't commit to volnation. I perceive recruiting threads to be a sales effort. DLove was in his own thread today, and I hate the idea of us interwebz people negatively swaying a young man's opinion. Maybe Barzil is the best place to share serious concerns? Is that reasonable?

Really? Read the mission statement: Allbuffs.com: for the fans, by the fans. I look at this forum as a way for Buff fans to share info about the program, just like the Football forum. In my mind, it's not really meant for recruits at all. I don't have the time or ability to critique as some do here, and count on the real story, not the slick sheet. That said, recruits and their family and friends could just as easily show up here, so we have to maintain some kind of decorum.

If someone wants to have an opinion, there should be some substance to it.

I'd say the vast majority of the opinions I put out on this board have very little, if any substance to them.

Just sayin'.

I split it off from the Leo Thomas thread finally. I figured it would be easy to keep all the comments in one place so it would be easier to move them.

I will reiterate that we will always allow constructive criticism in the recruiting forums. While we realize that recruits and their families visit this forum, we also also value honest discussion when it comes to recruiting. It is too much of a factor in program success for it not to be fair game.

That also means we are counting on members to use their heads as we approach signing day. There will be many ups and downs between now and then, keep it classy for kids that choose other schools.

Just my 2 cents: recruits and their families can also be fans (as in our case--fans WAY before our son was a recruit, or even a football player for that matter)! I have a fans perspective as well as a parent's perspective, and I really do enjoy reading fact-based opinions about the team (was read-only on this board for a long time before Clay committed to CU). With that said, not everyone is going to have the same opinion, and that's what makes this form of communication great and makes for good dialog. IMO, saying a kid sucks adds nothing to the conversation though, but I think most tend to skim over those comments anyway. Try to add something tangible to the discussion, stay away from useless personal bashing, and everyone wins!

The only time I would have issue enough to speak up about someone's opinion of my son is if they posted something that was just a flat-out lie, or they were basing their opinion in something that wasn't true and I might have some light to shed on the subject to clarify (which I have done on other boards on occasion). Otherwise, I just read like your average fan and realize that it's all to be taken with a grain of salt!

I'm sensitive.

That's okay.

518942-sad_anime_2_super.jpg

I have been thinking about this topic lately given some lively debate we are having on specific recruit threads. Not sure if someone said this before, but to me, once we have a soft/verbal or formal commitment I think we should definitely refrain from criticizing them for any reason-UNTIL they have played a down for the Buffs-then they are fair game within reason again.

I say this because think about it-you are a 17-18 year old kid. You just made one of the most important decisions of your life. You are planning to move across the state or country or whatever to play for CU. You are already learning the fight song, walking around your hometown in CU gear, counting down the days until hell week, and you find out (because yes we know recruits view this site) that ABers are already talking smack and questioning the coaches for believing in you. That would just suck, be so damn deflating.

As I just said on another thread-we need to trust the coaches-they bleed black and gold and have proven themselves in their careers to be among the best recruiters in this conference if not N.A. If they believed in a kid enough to make him an offer than so should we. Let's try to be welcoming to any kid who has received an offer and has expressed a desire to be part of something big at CU. That's my 2 cents anyway.

boydbuff makes a good point.

Once someone has given a verbal commitment, do we treat him like a Buff? i.e., No criticism unless he does something that earns criticism (off field issue, shows up out of shape, doesn't get his academics handled, etc.)? Basically, if you haven't chimed in before the commitment with your concerns about his game, should you keep it to yourself once he's a Buff... and if you have, is there a need to repeat it at that point? Shouldn't we wait at that point until we've seen the guy in practice or game competition at CU?

I want to get some feedback and think about it.

boydbuff makes a good point.

Once someone has given a verbal commitment, do we treat him like a Buff? i.e., No criticism unless he does something that earns criticism (off field issue, shows up out of shape, doesn't get his academics handled, etc.)? Basically, if you haven't chimed in before the commitment with your concerns about his game, should you keep it to yourself once he's a Buff... and if you have, is there a need to repeat it at that point? Shouldn't we wait at that point until we've seen the guy in practice or game competition at CU?

I want to get some feedback and think about it.
Or else you will face my wrath! Then BB will scold me and I will apoligize.

My beef has been mostly with DL recruiting over the years, to this point, there is nothing but positive comments to that position.

Is this about me questioning Abron's offer list? I thought at this point it was a legitimate critique. It should be noted that I was quite positive about his film, I hardly think the kid is sitting there staring at my comments and rethinking his commitment. It's not like we're recruiting a bunch of Hawk types these days, these kids don't give a **** what I have to say other than to prove me wrong.

Back