What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What do you want from Dan Hawkins this offseason?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
There were some really good posts at the end of the thread about Hawkins being on Austin radio this week. It may have gotten lost in the shuffle a bit and I thought it deserved its own thread. If possible, let's keep this thread constructive.

For the record, the big thing I'd like to see Dan Hawkins do is outline his general plan for the program, where we've been most successful, where we have the farthest to go, and where we are overall. I don't want hyperbole or a Tony Robbins speech. Just a matter-of-fact appraisal of where we are, where we are trying to get and how we are going about accomplishing this. I believe a structured interview with B.G. Brooks would be the perfect format for this and just they type of content that the official site needs to be providing.

(I'd like to see Mike Bohn do this for the AD, too. And it might be a good policy for every CU coach to do an annual "state of the program" review.)

So other than the obvious poor job performance last season, your big issue with Hawk is you don't feel like he's taken accountability for it (or gotten rid of coaches who he didn't feel got the job done either)?

I'm curious whether that's right and whether that is the big problem others are having, too. If so, would it make a difference to you if he publicly laid out his plan to fix this thing? Would that at least get you to be neutral toward him until you see how the team performs against CSU?

Or is it really a lost cause?

You've hit the nail on the head. I have Hawk fatigue when he's off the field. He's a broken record. You know what he's going to say. And then he says it. Thrown into the fire. Turn the corner. About to pop. Margin of error. Gasher. Great practice. Horns out. Lunch box. Blue collar. Little things. Clean things up.

When he diverges from his public personna bulletpoint script, he lapses into embarassing or hostile gaffs. You're not a coach. You aren't taking risks. Internet Scum. Trust only goes so far. Real fans wear Black and Gold.

I've said it before. Hawkins would be well served to hire a media consultant who can help polish his message and delivery. I would like to get more candor and less philosophy. I'd like to hear a frank assessment of reality, not an awe shucks sugar coated view of what's possible. I'd like to hear more owning up to mistakes and self recognition of responsibility.

I'd like to hear less motivational rhetoric and more stratigic plans. I'd like him to identify problems, talk straight about it, identify a plan, and then execute against that plan through his words and deeds.

I do not want my expectations falsely raised. "Ten wins...no excuses" or "national championship" and then subsequent back peddling. I liked the fire of the "Go play intramurals, brotha" but not the 16-33 record.

I do not want to hear about a QB competition that is neck and neck, only to have it be a rouse.

I do not want to hear about sky diving or running marathons. I want to hear about an offensive system and a team identity.

But that's just me.

:yeahthat:
I'd just for once like to see Hawk take responsibility for his actions and give a plan for what he intends to do to fix it. Doesn't have to be detailed, just something in place for execution. I'm soooo tired of listening to the excuses. :sleep::blah:

Also, just checked the ESPN Austin website and they still don't have a link to the interview up yet. I'll keep checking through the day and post when it pops up.

I don't personally think Hawkins owes the fans a public viewing of the plan. But he does owe the program and all involved a plan that will work, coaches that can execute it in practice and during a game, and recruits that win most of the games on the schedule. Win some games with some coherency on both sides of the ball (and special teams) and I'll be happy.

Aside from a letter of resignation, a muzzle. If he's not going to say "I suck as a coach, I'm in over my head at CU, and I realize I'm not the guy for the job and I resign immediately", then I don't want to hear a damn thing from his mouth.

Aside from a letter of resignation, a muzzle. If he's not going to say "I suck as a coach, I'm in over my head at CU, and I realize I'm not the guy for the job and I resign immediately", then I don't want to hear a damn thing from his mouth.

In all seriousness, do you think the best strategy for Hawkins is to keep a low profile until he either starts winning or is gone?

Hawk needs to start by making some changes on his staff. He has yet to show that those coaches, that have left us with something to be desired, be accountable. Also, it would be nice if he kept his fat fingers off the offense. It's obvious, after year four, that he doesn't know how to score.

In all seriousness, do you think the best strategy for Hawkins is to keep a low profile until he either starts winning or is gone?

Yes. He has little to no credibility left with most in the media and with the fanbase. Anything he says is most likely going to be viewed negatively, so he should keep a low profile this offseason. I doubt it happens, but it should.

I'm hoping Hawkins delivers some nice surprises in his 2010 recruiting class. Attracting more promising LBs and linemen would be nice.

Getting a replacement for Brown is a high priority. I'd welcome adjustments to othe coaching positions, too. Special teams and RB come to mind. If Collins and Kiesau remain the coordinators, then I would like to see Hawkins develop both of them and delegate them to address the media whenever appropriete.. Somebody should be speaking Xs and Os.

I'm hoping to see that Hawkins keeps control over the locker room coming into the spring game. How the QB position is handled will be important. Will Hansen be over Cody and Clark? What about the newer guys? It would be great if this is handled differently than the past three years.

I'm curious about recievers Usery, Simmons, WillJeff and Simas.

I'm hoping Hawkins makes lots of visits to high schools and shores up CU's in-state profiles. DH does a good job speaking to kids. I hope CU football is a big deal and helps draw interest in the 2011 class. It would be nice if his summer football camps are something really special.

Most importantly this off season, I want to be amazed by how ready CU is to play quality football against CSU. Hawkins doesn't need to say anything about his offensive and defensive systems. But I want to see his players come out if the shoot ready to play from the opening kickoff, ready to take an early lead and to deliver a decisive victory.

Last edited by a moderator:

He might as well. Nothing he says is going to mean much until there are some results on the field anyway...

In all seriousness - absolutely. His act has worn thin. I can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. It's always some bullsh!t garbage about doing the little things or working on a couple things, blah, blah, blah. He's a joke. The best thing for him to do is to win. Period. I personally don't want to hear anything from him other than a resignation speech or his post-game comments after beating CSU.

what do I want from Dan Hawkins.....well I think Sackman said it well, keep a low profile, most of all keep your mouth SHUT...and just ****ing WIN......no more bull****, dont give a dam about your plan and your dreams and what you have done at CU, just ****ing WIN, and get this team back to a bowl game.....GO BUFFS!!!!!

I would like dan to be quiet, make no stupid comments or blow smoke up people's ass. His credibility is almost gone anyway. His focus should be on improving this football team and making himself and his coaches accountable. If he says anything, he should show remorse for last season and GET PISSED FOR ONCE and say that a bowl game is a must as is a winning season. Other than that, I don't want to hear anything from him.

I tend to agree with Sacky here. However, if he does anything I hope he stops with his tendency of talking down to the fanbase and media. This along with his lack of enthusiasim along the sidelines, the logic he uses to determine what best players are on the field, and stop with the stupid little phrases. Last but not least, in the imortal words of Al Davis - Just Win Baby!!!

Am I asking for too much here?

Speaking of accountability, I'd be okay if Dan Hawkins and Mike Bohn were to talk about what kind of support they require from the university, from the fans and from the Colorado voters to build a successful program that is competive with conference opponents in the 6 other B12 states.

If Bensen can't/won't sing for CU football's supper, then somebody needs to step up.

I would like dan to be quiet, make no stupid comments or blow smoke up people's ass. His credibility is almost gone anyway. His focus should be on improving this football team and making himself and his coaches accountable. If he says anything, he should show remorse for last season and GET PISSED FOR ONCE and say that a bowl game is a must as is a winning season. Other than that, I don't want to hear anything from him.

:yeahthat: AND a better then a .500 season would be nice too!

Resignation.

Since that wont happen, I want him to overhaul the staff. Let go of everybody except for the OC (for offensive continuity) and Cabral. Given the turnover of staff around the country especially with Leavitt, Mangino and Leach firing, it should not be hard to find quality people looking for work.

More skydiving videos... That was freakin cool when he did it a few years ago!

Other than that, anything short of 8 wins, winning the Big12 north, a respectable showing in the CCG, and winning a bowl game, and I am ready for him to be fired.

If he can't accomplish those things above, then get someone in here who says they can and let them have a shot at it.

more notes about his rad/semi-new agey vacations and all the "academic" (gimme a Nell Carter style break) stuff he reads on "motivation".

but, mostly, what Boulder Buff said above. no up-talk and continual rah rah like he invented football and being "funky" vs. being accountable for HIS team's performance. he lost me for good with the last two coaches shows on KOA (that and sitting on row 23 in 107 for the Missouri game)--in which he basically made the argument that he had lost so many games "because we do things a different way, are a little bit funky" that he was a really good coach. that losing proved the formula. that was basically what he tried to argue (from a logic standpoint), that being "funky" kept him out of the "squaresville", conventional logic of wins and losses. black is white, etc.

he needs to shut up, coach, shoulda replaced his coordinators last year......maybe keep it close the vest and if he wins 7 games....keep his job.

i'm not betting on it, but hey.

Last edited:
Here is a synopsis of what we have so far.

Buffnik: An honest appraisal of where we are.
Zbuff: A plan that will work.
Sackman: Shut up unless he admits he sucks, is over his head, and resigns.
Bolond: Make changes in the staff and keep his fat fingers off the offense. He doesn't know how to score.
Boulder Buff: He has no credibility with fans or media, so just keep a low profile.
Skidmark: Recruiting surprises; Good replacement for Brown; Handle the QB situation well; Establish a presence with in state players; Be prepared for CSU.
Junction: Don't say anything until you he has success on the field.
Sackman: Win or shut up. His act has worn thin. I can't believe a word out of his mouth. He's a joke. Either resign or beat csu.
Dunken: Keep your mouth shut and win.
Buffsyko: Keep quiet, don't make stupid comments, Improve the team and be accountable. If he says anything, say a bowl win and winning season are musts. Needs to get pissed.
Hugegroove: Stop talking down to the fans. Show enthusiasm, put best players in, no more stupid little phrases. Win.
Skidmark: Set what expectations he has from the University and fans on how to build success.
Buffsurveyor: Agrees with Sacky. Be accountable and win more than .500.
Jerry: Resign. Since that won't happen, overhaul the staff. Get rid of everyone except Kiesau and Cabral.
77Buff: Greasy **** in hair
Timbuff10: More skydiving videos and at least 8 wins.
Mick Ronson: More notes about cool vacations and the motivational books he reads
Mick Ronson: Cut the "I''m being funky" ****. Keep it close to the vest and win at least 7.

Here is a synopsis of what we have so far.

Buffnik: An honest appraisal of where we are.
Zbuff: A plan that will work.
Sackman: Shut up unless he admits he sucks, is over his head, and resigns.
Bolond: Make changes in the staff and keep his fat fingers off the offense. He doesn't know how to score.
Boulder Buff: He has no credibility with fans or media, so just keep a low profile.
Skidmark: Recruiting surprises; Good replacement for Brown; Handle the QB situation well; Establish a presence with in state players; Be prepared for CSU.
Junction: Don't say anything until you he has success on the field.
Sackman: Win or shut up. His act has worn thin. I can't believe a word out of his mouth. He's a joke. Either resign or beat csu.
Dunken: Keep your mouth shut and win.
Buffsyko: Keep quiet, don't make stupid comments, Improve the team and be accountable. If he says anything, say a bowl win and winning season are musts. Needs to get pissed.
Hugegroove: Stop talking down to the fans. Show enthusiasm, put best players in, no more stupid little phrases. Win.
Skidmark: Set what expectations he has from the University and fans on how to build success.
Buffsurveyor: Agrees with Sacky. Be accountable and win more than .500.
Jerry: Resign. Since that won't happen, overhaul the staff. Get rid of everyone except Kiesau and Cabral.
77Buff: Greasy **** in hair
Timbuff10: More skydiving videos and at least 8 wins.
Mick Ronson: More notes about cool vacations and the motivational books he reads
Mick Ronson: Cut the "I''m being funky" ****. Keep it close to the vest and win at least 7.
DBT: Synopsis of what we have so far.

Fixed.

I want him to gather 20+ people to sign letters of intent in February. I want Hansen to be named starting QB by the end of spring. I don't want to hear about some new offense that is about to conjure up thoughts of 08 OU. I want him to hire a WR coach yesterday, especially if it's David Beatty, but really at this point anyone that isn't 80 years old and is going to bother to recruit will suffice. I want Hawk to tell Collins that the rush 3 defense he loves to play against Missouri just isn't cutting it, I know it's brilliant on the chalk board, but it just isn't working. I want Riddle fired for the atrocious special teams play of.. all 4 years, but since that isn't an option, I want Hawk to take a more hands on approach to special teams himself this season. Leave Kiseau and the offensive coaches to do what they want to do. Lastly, nothing about the little things unless he's claiming that they have been fixed.

I want Dan Hawkins to admit that he was a bad coach last year (and really for all 4 years), give back half of his salary to help the AD build up the facilities and actually start coaching like he did at Boise State. Because outside of a few games here and there, DAN HAWKINS is not the coach that he was described to be when we hired him.

Oh, and how about actually over signing in recruiting and bring in 3 DT's and about 6 DL in this class.

And to shut his trap about fixing the little things.

This^^^^^^^^^^

Since the question was specific to the off-season, I want him to sign 25+ guys on NLI day, name a ****ing starting QB during Spring ball, and keep his ****ing piehole shut with the damn not-so-witty sayings and fan putdowns.

I really don't care about what Hawkins says. He could be the best media guy in the world; if he doesn't win, I don't like him. Conversely, he could be the biggest asshole in the world; if he won the Big 12, I wouldn't care.

Some successful coaches are nice guys. Some aren't. When people are talking about Nick Saban or Pete Caroll, do you think they are talking about the fact that one is a bit of a jerk and the other appears to be a really positive guy, or do you think they are talking about the fact that both have won NCs? Coaching style isn't nearly important as coaching ability.

My problems with Hawkins start and end with the fact that he is an incompetent coach and stubborn to boot; he has also demonstrated exceedingly poor judgment in his handling of his son and the quarterback position in general. Rather than try to address his personal deficiencies, he has chosen to blame Gary Barnett, the University of Colorado, the fans, and everyone else under the sun while systematically attempting to lower expectations to an all-time low.

He is simply a detriment to the program. He has demonstrated this since the start of year three, and the longer he is retained, the lower the program is going to go.

As I have stated in other posts, after the guys who are going to be juniors next season are out of the program, this team is going to be flat-out terrible. We will have no RB depth and our OL in 2012 and beyond will make the 2008 and 2009 groups look like All Americans. If Hirschman doesn't pan out we are likely to be completely screwed at QB once Hansen graduates.

Hawkins recruiting failures in the 2009, 2010, and all likelihood 2011 and beyond classes are going to be a huge problem in the future. Bringing in a new staff this offseason could have changed that. It didn't happen.

To get a great recruiting class. To maintain a consistent philosophy on offense. To teach the fundamentals better (pass blocking techniques, DL rushing, tackling, tackling, tackling).

To assemble a team of tough nosed mother****ers that will tear new assholes on the other teams' players.

Back