What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What does Mcintyre do well as a headcoach?

DrunkPanda

This is a serious question. Good head coaches do at least some things well. Some people here think Macintyre is a good head coach. So they means they must think he does some things well. But what exactly are those things? To paraphrase Bob from Office Space, in a question to Mac "What exactly would you say you do [well] here?"

We know he's not an offensive guru, because he leaves the offense completely up to Lindgren. We know he's not a defensive guru, because we had one of the worst defenses in college football, until Leavitt got here. We know he's not a special teams guru, because our special teams are consistently awful. We know he's not a good recruiter, because look at our recruiting classes. We know he's not one of those hard nosed coaches that will instill toughness in his team because... he's afraid of smoke machines. Remember that picture of him coming out of the tunnel a couple years ago? We know he's not a "CEO type" that has the ability to identify and hire a solid group of assistant coaches. Because we gave him a huge assistant coach budget when we hired him and all he did was use it to bring his entire WAC staff here and give them all huge raises....

Come on, be honest, you know that we'd all be laughing our asses off if one of the other Pac 12 team's head coach had done that, instead of us... Stop lying, you know you would!

So.... why do we want to keep him as our head coach again? What exactly are we expecting him to do, that he hasn't done yet?

His management and retention of the roster is something most of his predecessors couldn't handle. He's good at that part. And his pre-game and half-time speeches seem pretty effective and passionate.

Be really, really really nice.

Oh and keep guys on the roster. Which can be good and bad

I guess I'd like to know what a head football coach does in order to answer this question.

I've always been under the impression that the head coach has the final say on game plans, sets the tone in practice and games, gives speechs, can bench or put in players at their command, and ultimately decide who is a part of the team. But from an actual coaching and calling plays standpoint, their assistants are who do the real work. I've always been a basketball and baseball guy so maybe I'm completely offbase but it seems like most people here agree that Neinas and Lindgren are a big reason why we lose games while guys like Tumpkin and Leavitt are doing a great job getting the most out of our guys.

Buffs are finally focusing on getting the black athlete and going after kids we wouldn't have taken a shot on. This year's recruiting class is very solid. These guys have a similar belief system that Mac can turn around the program like the guys that signed on with McCartney.

MacIntyre was the TOP DC/assistant in CFB before he took SJSU team.

He cares about these kids. He wants to win in all aspects of life. You should strive to do the same Dick Panda.

His management and retention of the roster is something most of his predecessors couldn't handle. He's good at that part. And his pre-game and half-time speeches seem pretty effective and passionate.

Sir, I must disagree with this. Why does the team almost always come out flat at the start of the game and flat again to start the second half?

Sir, I must disagree with this. Why does the team almost always come out flat at the start of the game and flat again to start the second half?

Probably because their too tight, or just not good enough as players. I still like his speeches, as far as I've seen from CU Video.

I could be wrong, but didn't he assemble this team that just pushed around UCLA all day?

I mean, he's Lindgren's boss, so the offense's shortcomings rest at his feet, but if he has to own the negatives, you have to allow him to own the positives.

I could be wrong, but didn't he assemble this team that just pushed around UCLA all day?

I mean, he's Lindgren's boss, so the offense's shortcomings rest at his feet, but if he has to own the negatives, you have to allow him to own the positives.

You're right that we did lose to UCLA. You are also right that we should be proud of that fact

Well, he took us from a team that routinely got blown out by 20 to 50 points two years ago to a team that looks like a legitimate P5 team. So there's that. We were at rock bottom. Absolute worst P5 team in the country. Now we're shaking our heads because we couldn't put away a top 25 team that we dominated statistically. A team that would have beat the team we fielded two years ago by 30+. Yeah, it sucks that we're having so much trouble with key mistakes that are keeping us from getting over the hump. No, it's still not good enough. But to deny that we've improved by leaps and bounds over two years ago is to deny reality. If you accept that reality then you have to accept that Mac should have one more year to get us to a bowl game.

Last edited:
He actually is a defensive guru, but he doesn't call the plays. I've said it before, but defensive scheme and play calling are a much bigger part of a defense's success than most people think. We may be less talented than the other P12 teams, but is there any question that we are a vastly improved defensive into in 2015?

This defense was constructed in the offseason by both MM and JL and each game plan is designed by both of them. Leavitt calls the shots on game day.

He has managed to take a team that was the absolute worst team in D-1 football just three years ago and turned it into a team that truly can win on any given Saturday. He needs to get over that hump to actually start winning a few of those games, but he's done a remarkable job in a relatively short period of time.

It continually amazes me how easily people forget just how bad this football team was when he took over. It's no longer physical. It's mental.

Mac is a good manager. This program is no longer a cluster ****. We are way more organized than under the previous regimes. He has the kids fighting, believing and not giving up. He had the foresight and wherewithal to make a change at DC. Ive heard a lot of praise of what he's doing here from other Pac 12 coaches. I still think his ability to recruit is unknown. We will see. But what he does best is his how he cares about his players. He has their best interests at heart. And they don't quit. They keep fighting. I was ready to fire his ass earlier in the year, but I'm fully behind him getting one more year now.

He seems to motivate his team and has them ready to play. Heavily involved in the defensive scheme.

Now we're shaking our heads because we couldn't put away a top 25 team that we dominated statistically on the road.
FIFY, and a note that, to me, this is a significant distinction between last year's loss to fUCLA and this one. When's the last time we dominated the stats somewhere outside Folsom? Probably why it's harder to take & encouraging at the same time.

I think he's a good motivational coach. Contrary to popular belief, I don't see the team quit -- this year or last.

I've always known the coach was important of course but watching cSU over the last few years has been an incredibly clear picture of the impact a coach can have. Sparkles turned total **** into a competitive program and the day he left it returned to ****. Penalties and turnovers, no discipline and players that were performing are just turrible.

For that reason I'm off the Mac wagon. He's put a lot of the fundamentals in place for us. Now it's time to go get a coach that can make these guys over perform with inspiration, discipline and great game management.

Thanks for taking us this far Mac. Thanks to you his team is close and wants to win. So do the fans.

For me, it's tough to say. He knows what he's doing or he wouldn't be at this level. That aside, how motivational he is to his players, proof is in the pudding when it gets to winning time. They seem to me like the only thing they know how to do is crap down their leg and then say how close they were. I see some that are afraid to seize the moment, I'm no expert but I don't see that as motivation. As a player, you shouldn't need a coach to motivate you at all, you owe the guys next to you and the University that gave you the opportunity, then of course yourself.

Mac does a lot of things well, IMO. He has to find a way to push through that final wall and win games. He will get one more year to prove that, or we will have our answer.

One thing he is exceptional at is getting people to accept relative competency as adequate for the University of Colorado Head Football Coach. He is probably going to win two conference games in three years, and there is no shortage of excuses from fans why this is OK. Stan Parrish comes to mind as having a similar CV. Maybe he just needed the continuity his successor was able to get at KSU in order to be successful.

Mac is a good manager. This program is no longer a cluster ****. We are way more organized than under the previous regimes. He has the kids fighting, believing and not giving up. He had the foresight and wherewithal to make a change at DC. Ive heard a lot of praise of what he's doing here from other Pac 12 coaches. I still think his ability to recruit is unknown. We will see. But what he does best is his how he cares about his players. He has their best interests at heart. And they don't quit. They keep fighting. I was ready to fire his ass earlier in the year, but I'm fully behind him getting one more year now.
Understand, the last 2 games have been big positives, but we also played UCLA and OSU close last year, so not sure why the change from 2 games ago. Well maybe this year's better, given both were road games and we won one of them. Just saying I'm also feeling better, but the next 4 games could reinforce or negate the positive feeling. It's always 'what have you done lately.'

This is a serious question. Good head coaches do at least some things well. Some people here think Macintyre is a good head coach. So they means they must think he does some things well. But what exactly are those things? To paraphrase Bob from Office Space, in a question to Mac "What exactly would you say you do [well] here?"

We know he's not an offensive guru, because he leaves the offense completely up to Lindgren. We know he's not a defensive guru, because we had one of the worst defenses in college football, until Leavitt got here. We know he's not a special teams guru, because our special teams are consistently awful. We know he's not a good recruiter, because look at our recruiting classes. We know he's not one of those hard nosed coaches that will instill toughness in his team because... he's afraid of smoke machines. Remember that picture of him coming out of the tunnel a couple years ago? We know he's not a "CEO type" that has the ability to identify and hire a solid group of assistant coaches. Because we gave him a huge assistant coach budget when we hired him and all he did was use it to bring his entire WAC staff here and give them all huge raises....

Come on, be honest, you know that we'd all be laughing our asses off if one of the other Pac 12 team's head coach had done that, instead of us... Stop lying, you know you would!

So.... why do we want to keep him as our head coach again? What exactly are we expecting him to do, that he hasn't done yet?

This thread is garbage, and so is any talk of firing MacIntyre after this season. I don't think MacIntyre has done a great job, but he still has done enough to deserve more time. As far as your comment about him bringing his staff with him......how many guys did Petersen bring to UW with him from Boise? Not only that, MM essentially admitted a mistake with the decision to let Baer go, and I expect him to do the same with Brian Lindgren after this year. As I said above, he's safe going into 2016 Multiple reasons for this. One, the only justification IMO for firing him after this year was two straight 0-9 conference campaigns. That isn't going to happen, and frankly, I think this team will win at least one more game (at Wazzu is likely and I wouldn't put beating Utah out of the question) Two, there are way too many P5 openings with more to come (London at UVA is done, Hazell at Purdue isn't far behind, Charlie Strong is by no means safe after that debacle yesterday, Bill Snyder could retire, Rich Rod could very well make another move). If you're being honest with yourself, we are not an attractive job as it is with all the chaos on the carousel already.

Back