What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What does new TV deal for Pac-12 do for the CU-CSU series long term?

The only reason the Texas schools circled the wagons is because they needed to ride UT's coattails or find themselves completely irrelevant in the world of college athletics. And Oklahoma and Kansas's state schools are A) already in the same conference and B) all members of the BCS - so I don't see how that is a comparison.

And to compare the support of Colorado to Alabama, Oklahoma or South Carolina is a little unfair. We were invited to the Pac-10 instead of the SEC for a reason.

p.s. - Gary Hart was just an affair away from the White House.

You've pretty much made my point. While Texas schools were fighting for their lives, CSU boosters were standing around holding their peckers in their pockets. CSU lobbiests could never get state lawmakers to touch something as frivolous as athletic conference realignment. The best CSU could do was capture a misguided opinion piece from Kizla that tried to bring CU down to their level.

It's finally this week that CSU fans pulled their heads out of their asses and finally get around to displaying indignation while wondering what happened.

CSU fans will go to their graves feeling like they were cheated by CU and somehow remain convinced that they are entitled to a piece of CU's riches. The best they'll ever get is some political concession that keeps the CSU Rocky Mountain Subsidy at Invesco in tact.

Ps. I suppose Barry Goldwater, Mike Dukakis and Al Gore were almost POTUS, too. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be an easy win for us which is why CU should keep it. But it's a doubled edge sword, CSU fans seem to migrate to my town and talk a bunch of trash, so when they do win, it's unbareable but if they move the games to where they belong, keep the series unless of course CSU drops to FCS.

If we have the coach we think we do, then this will be an annual lamb beatdown. Sonny was way better than CSU has ever had and he is gone. CU has a better coach than we have had in a long time (gut feeling I guess) and we will see. If this becomes a annual beatdown the lammies will want out, which is better IMO. Right now it looks like we are scared of a loss. And we should never lose to them. I bet CU pounds them this year.

I do agree about Invesco though. I would like the series to continue; I want it on the campuses though. CSU will not do that however, as they don't really care about playing CU, but it is the best payday they can get every year. That is why they want it.

Last edited:
Skidmark go read my thread on lambnation, they prove your point exactly.

I took a peak at your thread and walked away decidedly unimpressed.

I understand how a freshman doesn't get many chances to make road trips to various football venues around the country. When you get the chance to experience football Saturday around the country, and I hope you do, then you'll realize how very sad this manufactured CU-CSU rivalry really is.

I'd rather see you drop ramnation like a bad habit and start making some inroads on the Ohio State, Hawaii and P12 boards. If you want to impress me, go start something over on a Buckeye board and tell me how that turns out.

Messing with CSU fans over there is weak sauce, Creatini. What kind of sicko gets pleasure from kicking a dog when it's down? Do you enjoy tormenting special ed kids, too?

If we have the coach we think we do, then this will be an annual lamb beatdown. Sonny was way better than CSU has ever had and he is gone. CU has a better coach than we have had in a long time (gut feeling I guess) and we will see. If this becomes a annual beatdown the lammies will want out, which is better IMO. Right now it looks like we are scared of a loss. And we should never lose to them. I bet CU pounds them this year.

Do you get a lot of Lambs down in Castle Rock? Parker seems to be flooded with NU and CSU fans and little CU fans.

I took a peak at your thread and walked away decidedly unimpressed.
I just like the reactions they have and how they think they're a superior program and since they beat CU twice under Hawkins that we are forever destined to be a sub .500 program even though we've had stretches like this before.

I understand how a freshman doesn't get many chances to make road trips to various football venues around the country. When you get the chance to experience football Saturday around the country, and I hope you do, then you'll realize how very sad this manufactured CU-CSU rivalry really is.

I'm hoping to make a road trip next fall to either ASU or UCLA but I gotta see where my friends and my funds are at and what gas prices are and I don't think anyone in my family has enough miles to fly to either. I'v never been to a true road game in any sports so I haven't gotten the feel for what a true true rivalry really is. I'm wanting to take a trip down to all of the major rivals (Alabama v Auburn, Michigan v Ohio State, Florida State v Miami, etc) but that'll have to wait till after school is paid off and done with.

I'd rather see you drop ramnation like a bad habit and start making some inroads on the Ohio State, Hawaii and P12 boards. If you want to impress me, go start something over on a Buckeye board and tell me how that turns out.
But I don't have anything to hang over OSU fans heads except for the Tressel thing but that's been played out way more than anything I have done on ramnation. I've already been talking smack with Cal fans on ESPN but it's some kid whose younger than me. What was the thread called that had our opponents forums on it? I tried searching but couldn't find it, although I didn't look very hard.

Messing with CSU fans over there is weak sauce, Creatini. What kind of sicko gets pleasure from kicking a dog when it's down? Do you enjoy tormenting special ed kids, too?
No but I enjoy kicking Lambs down stairs then throwing piss bombs at them while they're falling and then bitch our their offspring while attempting to blind their QB all the while when the student section is being kicked out.

As I think about this whole situation I think that Rino is correct, the series finishes the current contract then the yearly game ends.

Simple numbers tell us that the Invesco field location is a dying issue. Attendance is steadily dropping over time and will continue to drop. CSU, even if they play well is not going to be the big draw. They have a very dedicated core of fanatical supporters that will stick with them no matter what but the general population of Colorado including most of the CSU alum couldn't care less. They aren't seen as big time and never will be. They are also not willing to put out the financial support to change that situation. This means that either CU will dominate the series meaning that CSU fans continue to lose interest in going to Invesco and CU fans save their resources for bigger more meaningful games or if the series is competitive that CU sucks and substantially fewer CU fans are willing to come out. Either way the stadium continues to become more empty.

The correct place to play the game is on campus but CSU doesn't want to play in Boulder every year and Hughes is inadequete for this game. As the funding differences continue to separate the programs and better coaching puts CU back into a position of dominating more clearly (remember that even in CUs worst stretch in modern history under Hawk CU still won more than half the games) CSU fans will grow tired of the yearly beatdown.

The only counter to the eventual end of the series is the fact that the Ag block in the state legislature tends to be very loyal to CSU and will work hard to keep this subsidy game for the CSU program on the schedule. CU may be forced by political pressures to maintain the series longer than it naturally should run.

The thing about CU-CSU is that it's played out.
There's very little to be said at this point.

CU has Never has a 5-year draught under one coach like what we've recently gone through.

I've been reading some Utefans and find their rivalry banter much more intense than CU-CSU.

With the new conference alignment, CSU is the weakest game on the schedule. It's the weakest team at the weakest venue. It's the absolute LAST game to get psyched about. If given the opportunity to go to 12 regular season games, CSU is the one game I'd not attend. Beating Fairchild's 3-9 team in the Cinch Jeans (or American Furniture Warehouse or whatever small time sponsor) Rocky Mountain Showdown in the company of dozens of Denver PD in riot gear watching on...No thank you.

Hawaii in Honolulu - Hell yeah.
Cal in Boulder - Revenge!
Ohio State at the horseshoe - once in a lifetime!
Fairchild at the diaphragm - whatever. Been there, done that.

If the measuring stick for the 2011 Buffs means targeting the CSU game as something special, then there are some serious problems. This is not a brick game for Embree and is not a brick game for me.

Only reason I'd get pumped for the CSU game was because it meant the start of the CU football season usually but I agree with you.

Only reason I'd get pumped for the CSU game was because it meant the start of the CU football season usually but I agree with you.

Not this year. Let the trash talk begin in Mid September.

Maybe we shouldn't open the season with the Rams...get a game or two under our belts then go at it.

I find it absolutely hilarious that some of you think CU is above playing CSU.

First, lots of schools participate in generally-one-sided rivalry games. Second, we haven't had a strong season in a decade. We aren't an elite program right now -- we have lost to Toledo, Montana State, CSU, pre-RG3-Baylor, etc. all in recent years and all in embarrassing fashion. We aren't "above" playing anyone.

The students and young alums love this game more than any other. I agree it should rotate between Boulder and Ft. Collins -- Denver sucks for cfb -- but the game absolutely should be played annually.

Some of you guys absolutely are delusional.

I think a lot of us are fine with the series if it's not in Denver but it will be because CSU won't play CU every year in Boulder thus the want to destroy the series.

I think a lot of us are fine with the series if it's not in Denver but it will be because CSU won't play CU every year in Boulder thus the want to destroy the series.

There you go and with the Pac-12 money dangling in front of the Rams' eyes, surely we can have the game in Boulder when CU is the home team and CSU at Invesco Field when CSU is the home team.

First, lots of schools participate in generally-one-sided rivalry games.

Name one BCS school that plays a rival non-BCS school every year, without receiving a massive amount of favorable consideration, both in terms of payout and game location. I tried to think of one a few years ago, and couldn't even come close.

First, lots of schools participate in generally-one-sided rivalry games. Second, we haven't had a strong season in a decade. We aren't an elite program right now -- we have lost to Toledo, Montana State, CSU, pre-RG3-Baylor, etc. all in recent years and all in embarrassing fashion. We aren't "above" playing anyone.

The students and young alums love this game more than any other. I agree it should rotate between Boulder and Ft. Collins -- Denver sucks for cfb -- but the game absolutely should be played annually.

Some of you guys absolutely are delusional.

First off it is hillarious to think CSU is in the same range as CU. Both programs are on downpoints for the programs, the difference is that for CU this is truly a low point for CSU it is more the historic norm. More importantly even now CU went 5-7 last year, CSU 3-9, both programs were 3-9 the year before. The falicy of comparing records is that CU did this against Big XII competition and solid OOC, CSU did it against MWC competition and weaker OOC.

More importantly college football is a money game, while CU is down right now CU averaged about 45K at home games last year, CSU about 23k even with ticket prices about 1/2 of the average in Boulder. Two years ago CU was around number 30 in football revenues, CSU closer to 100. CSU has one of the two lowest football and athletic budgets in the MWC. All of this indicates that CSU is not likely to have the resources to move into the upper echillons of its own mid-major conference much less to the level of the better teams from AQ conferences.

I half agree with you about location. This game should be on a college campus and Boulder has a stadium to play it in. Unfortunately Hughes is not adequete. With a capacity of 36-38k including standing room it is fine for games against Wyoming and New Mexico. For CU to play them there is a money losing proposition just like CSU playing in Nottingham in Greeley would not make sense. The facility has inadequete seating, miserable access with one small road leading in and out.

If CU is going to continue to subsidize CSU which is what this game is all about then it should be on CU's terms.

Name one BCS school that plays a rival non-BCS school every year, without receiving a massive amount of favorable consideration, both in terms of payout and game location. I tried to think of one a few years ago, and couldn't even come close.

LSU-Tulane
NC State-East Carolina
West Virginia-Marshall is newly established in-state rivalry
Washington State-Idaho was played from 1998-2007

We'll see if TCU-SMU remains on the schedule now that the Horned Frogs are in the Big East.
Kentucky and Louisville started their in-state rivalry when Louisville was in Conference USA.

Utah is in the same situation with their "Beehive Boot" rivalry with Utah State.

We have to have some OOC games, and we have to have some road games every year. Why not have CSU as one of them?

Having the neutral site game at Invesco gives us an extra "home game" each season, so while it isn't an ideal place for a game, it allows us to have 7 CU games within the Boulder-Denver area each year.

Now, I wouldn't mind rotating 2/4 years between Air Force and CSU under the same scenario above, that would keep things interesting.

I for one would never say CU is above playing CSU.

But by the same token, I don't hold CSU with any higher regard than AFA. Both campuses are within a day trip of CU. There's no reason, IMO, to favor one over the other.

My point is that I would basically have little to no interest in CU games if CSU was not playing at the same division level. If CSU dropped down a level, I would certainly stop watching CU games. I would really have no vested interest at that point and wouldn't really care one way or the other about a CU season.

As for other college games, I was probably a little over the top. I am sure I would catch a few high profile college football games here and there. However, I simply don't know how closely I would follow college football on the whole, but I think I would be much less interested.

But there are far more people in this state who simply aren't hard core fans of college sports in general. Pro sports tends to dominate. The number of people who think like you and pay attention to college sports, but would actually pay less attention because they would be jealous if one school became a dominant program is, thankfully, miniscule. Probably roughly equal to the average attendance at Hughes Stadium. At most, probably equal to the number of tickets CSU is able to sell to the "showcase" game that is so important to them that even their Metro area fans have quit showing up... There is much more audience out there to be gained by attracting non-college sports fans or casual fans of the college game to a top quality CU program than there is audience to be lost in the haters from the Fort.

There you go and with the Pac-12 money dangling in front of the Rams' eyes, surely we can have the game in Boulder when CU is the home team and CSU at Invesco Field when CSU is the home team.

No. I freaking hate Invesco. Just play the game in Boulder. If CSU wants to play CU, they can come to Boulder.

LSU-Tulane
In 2006 the rivalry was officially renewed, returning to yearly play for the first time since 1994. The teams began play that year and continued until 2009, when it was announced that LSU would pay Tulane $700,000 to void the final six years of the home-and-home series. LSU held that it would stand to benefit only if the remaining games were all played in Baton Rouge. Not wanting to give up its home games, Tulane agreed to end the series early, though the teams did agree to play one future game in New Orleans. (Source:wikipedia)

NC State-East Carolina

That's a pretty good one, although they do not play every year, and have only played since 1971.

I believe West Virginia gets more home games in that deal, and actually earns even more games when they win in other years. They win every year.

And, every game was played in Pullman, except for one in Seattle. the fact that they let it go, even though the schools practically border each other, tells you all you need to know.

If not the CSU game in Invesco, or a CSU-AFA rotation, we should really try to keep a "neutral site" game in Denver for the added exposure.

All things considered, at this point, playing Nebraska in an annual "border war" game in Denver would be an exponentially bigger payday than an in-state "showdown" could ever hope to bring. And it would be a national TV draw as well. Knowing this, Nebraska would rightfully demand a 50/50 split of the proceeds.

LSU-Tulane

NC State-East Carolina

That's a pretty good one, although they do not play every year, and have only played since 1971.

I believe West Virginia gets more home games in that deal, and actually earns even more games when they win in other years. They win every year.

And, every game was played in Pullman, except for one in Seattle. the fact that they let it go, even though the schools practically border each other, tells you all you need to know.

Good details. I just looked for BCS vs Non-BCS rivalries and didn't "drill down" on the details of the scheduling.

Good details. I just looked for BCS vs Non-BCS rivalries and didn't "drill down" on the details of the scheduling.

I did the same thing when I was given this same challenge a few years ago. I was actually shocked that I could not really find one comparable example to the series being held in Mile high with equal payouts. NC State - ECU is, I think, the closest one.

Back