What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What effect will 2009/2010 recruiting quality have on this team in a few years?

buffs04

I apologize for repeating what I posted in two other threads, but I feel this matter is of significant enough concern to merit its own thread.

The 2008 recruiting class was great, considering the circumstances. 2009... not so much. When considering those who were unable to make it to CU for various reasons, the class really was quite below average outside of the acquisition of Nick Kasa.

I think most fans will concede that, barring a miraculous turnaround, the 2010 class will be worse. CU was significantly behind on recruiting even before the disastrous start to our season.

We already know QB has been a problem spot for this team for years. The fact that our backup is a walk-on true freshman illustrates this point perfectly. How is it going to look in 2011 when we are not likely to have anyone on the roster with significant experience or abundant talent? There is always the possibility that Hansen is the starter next year, but, frankly, I do not think that is likely. I think Cody will start for the remainder of this year and for all of next year regardless of his performance. Hawkins attitude towards this all-important position reeks of non-objectivity and I have no reason to believe he will start anyone but his son. I believe he has rationalized starting his son as the best option to the extent that he won't make a change regardless of circumstance.

Bigger problems exist all over the field, however. When the guys who are currently sophomores and juniors are out of the program, it simply does not look like we are going to be a particularly talented football team.

We are going to be right back to square one, in my opinion, on the talent front in a few years. Right now we love to make the talent excuse for poor performance, but everything to me says that in a few years, the talent situation is going to be worse than it is now.

When DS, Miller, Stewart, Solder, Sumler, Simas, Simmons, Jimmy Smith, and the rest of the most talented players on our current team are gone, who is going to replace them? Having back to back bad recruiting classes creates a huge problem.

We like to look to a brighter future. I don't see one that bright, to be honest. I think next year and the year after we will be significantly more talented than we will be in the following couple of years. That's a recipe for disaster, particularly when considering that the current crop of players hasn't been exactly spectacular themselves.

When I look at the 2009 class and go beyond the rankings, here's what I see by position:

- A QB I liked a lot on film (Evans) and a walk-on QB that may have been a steal (Lobato)
- A walk-on RB that looks like he can be a contributing scat back / returner and earn a scholarship
- Nothing at FB
- A TE (Thornton) that still looks like a basketball player but has immense potential
- A trio of freshmen WR that significantly upgraded our size, speed and athleticism at the position and a JUCO junior who is the best athlete in the WR corp
- An O-lineman (Harris) that was good enough to be recruited by anyone to go along with 2 projects (Handler, Bakhtiari)
- A DT (Bonsu) who looks like the best player we've recruited at the position in years
- A stud DE (Kasa) that could have gone anywhere and a guy who looks like an under-recruited steal (West)
- A couple linebackers (Nobriga, Webb) that are going to redshirt and it's too early to tell
- A cornerback (Olatoye) with physical gifts similar to Jimmy Smith if we can develop the raw talent
- An undersized safety (Orms) with good speed and great intensity that should be a productive player for CU on special teams at the very least
- A kicker/punter (Grossnickle) with a big leg and good athleticism, but who knows until he plays

All in all, not a world-beating class, but certainly one that should provide talent and depth in years to come. Losing Moten, Simon and Nuckols really hurt, though.

When I look at the 2009 class and go beyond the rankings, here's what I see by position:

- A QB I liked a lot on film (Evans) and a walk-on QB that may have been a steal (Lobato)
- A walk-on RB that looks like he can be a contributing scat back / returner and earn a scholarship
- Nothing at FB
- A TE (Thornton) that still looks like a basketball player but has immense potential
- A trio of freshmen WR that significantly upgraded our size, speed and athleticism at the position and a JUCO junior who is the best athlete in the WR corp
- An O-lineman (Harris) that was good enough to be recruited by anyone to go along with 2 projects (Handler, Bakhtiari)
- A DT (Bonsu) who looks like the best player we've recruited at the position in years
- A stud DE (Kasa) that could have gone anywhere and a guy who looks like an under-recruited steal (West)
- A couple linebackers (Nobriga, Webb) that are going to redshirt and it's too early to tell
- A cornerback (Olatoye) with physical gifts similar to Jimmy Smith if we can develop the raw talent
- An undersized safety (Orms) with good speed and great intensity that should be a productive player for CU on special teams at the very least
- A kicker/punter (Grossnickle) with a big leg and good athleticism, but who knows until he plays

All in all, not a world-beating class, but certainly one that should provide talent and depth in years to come. Losing Moten, Simon and Nuckols really hurt, though.

Thanks for posting that Buffnik.

I actually think the 2009 class looks decent. I'm with you: ignore the stats and look at the players we have. And 2010 recruiting is not over yet, and we have some good players lined up.

Last edited:
Why are you worried about future recruiting classes?? Recruits? We don't need no stinking recruits! Haven't you seen that Talkins' favorite players are walk ons? :wtf:

Back