What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What grade do you give Boyle for the season?

These have all been very well-reasoned grades. I too would give him somewhere between a B+ and an A-. There were of course numerous head-scratchers involved in losses to UA, Utah, and OSU, to name a few. But if someone were to ask me before the season started, "Would you be happy if we made the tourney?" I'd have ecstatically said yes. I thought this would be a rebuilding year, and while it might've been, we certainly didn't drop off like I perhaps had expected. Tad was a play here or a coaching decision there from becoming a solid A.

What frustrated me is that he didn't seem to grow as a gameday coach this year. Hopefully that changes as he continually improves his own craft this offseason. I sincerely hope he figures Ski out...

U of Dub make sense instead of UofW. Growing up in OR, we always called it UofDub

Never Said Washington

Yeah. I always say "UDub". But what do you do when the thing that's much shorter so say is kind of a pain in the ass to write (vs. UW)? It's a conundrum. :lol:

Before reading all these response, I was inclined for a B+, but could justify an A-. The A+'s, I don't get whatsoever. It's not like widely exceeded expectations. I think you would've needed atleast a Sweet 16 appearance for that.

Let's see, takes a team that has one senior (who was very good but was clearly a role player with limited skill) and started two freshman to the tourney. Had his third straight 20 win season in a program that had less than 5 in it's entire history prior to Tad coming here. He is recruiting (and signing) multiple kids of a level that we would have been shocked to get one of in prior years.

If you grade based on what we would have liked to have seen you can justify a B, I would have liked to see a better offense and no having the bad losses. If you base it on realistic results it's hard to argue that he doesn't deserve an A, especially in a league that had more talent this year that is the past couple years.

Let's see, takes a team that has one senior (who was very good but was clearly a role player with limited skill) and started two freshman to the tourney. Had his third straight 20 win season in a program that had less than 5 in it's entire history prior to Tad coming here. He is recruiting (and signing) multiple kids of a level that we would have been shocked to get one of in prior years.

If you grade based on what we would have liked to have seen you can justify a B, I would have liked to see a better offense and no having the bad losses. If you base it on realistic results it's hard to argue that he doesn't deserve an A, especially in a league that had more talent this year that is the past couple years.

A+ to me means you vastly exceeding expectations and/or won the championship. I don't think anyone thought the ceiling on this season was a first round exit. Maybe some did, but those would've had very low expectations to begin with.

I'd give him an 'A' based on the history of the bball program, but offensive production needs to improve. Sweet 16 or better next year to get an 'A' again.

I'd give him an 'A' based on the history of the bball program, but offensive production needs to improve. Sweet 16 or better next year to get an 'A' again.

I don't doubt that the grades are somewhat "inflated" because of the lack of success in general for Buffs basketball in the near past. It's all relative -- Tad's first year we got royally screwed, and making the NIT semis was widely celebrated. Last year, it was a grand success just to make the tournament with our Pac-12 run. This year was the first one, where it wasn't good enough just to make it. All-in-all this year was a success, but expectations are getting bigger. 5 years ago, making the NIT would've been a very successful this year, now that would likely be a disappointment.

I went with an A+ and stand by it because I'm looking at a number of factors.

All but one team ends the season on a good note. Every other team has some level of disappointment at the end. I'm trying to look past that moment of disappointment and view the broader picture.

We were the youngest team in our league perhaps. We went from losing a significant part of the scoring that produced our P12 title to a well deserved at large berth. It was essentially a team of FR, SO and Dre.

I count our only bad losses as Utah on the road (which we almost won), and Oregon St. (which we didn't have Dre). And we had a number of quality road wins, including a non-conference tourney championship.

Most importantly, this team was flat out enjoyable to watch. Frustrating at times because of the youthful mistakes, but one of the best seasons I've seen at CU.

I went with an A+ and stand by it because I'm looking at a number of factors.

All but one team ends the season on a good note. Every other team has some level of disappointment at the end. I'm trying to look past that moment of disappointment and view the broader picture.

We were the youngest team in our league perhaps. We went from losing a significant part of the scoring that produced our P12 title to a well deserved at large berth. It was essentially a team of FR, SO and Dre.

I count our only bad losses as Utah on the road (which we almost won), and Oregon St. (which we didn't have Dre). And we had a number of quality road wins, including a non-conference tourney championship.

Most importantly, this team was flat out enjoyable to watch. Frustrating at times because of the youthful mistakes, but one of the best seasons I've seen at CU.
That's the typical cop-out answer about not being disappointed with the seasons result. That was valid last year when they had the improbable P-12 Tourney run then beat UNLV for good measure. I don't think so much this year.

Both ASU losses were garbage and shouldn't have happened. Those are some BAD losses. Tad exceeded expectations in some areas (e.g., winning the Charleston Classic) and failed expectations in others. I don't see how you can give him an "A+". I also do not concur that this team was always a joy to watch. Sometimes, we were flat out painful to watch. We have got to get the offense going next year. Between the Mayor, XJ, and Scott, there is more than enough capable offensive talent on this team.

I'm not sure whether it was in this thread or a different one, but I concur with the poster that stated XJ was the best NBA prospect on our team. Kid can be (is) a beast and just has to develop some consistency.

That's the typical cop-out answer about not being disappointed with the seasons result. That was valid last year when they had the improbable P-12 Tourney run then beat UNLV for good measure. I don't think so much this year.

You're assuming I'm not disappointed which is where you're off track. There's only one victor when it's all said and done (Buffedup, that should clarify the previous statement). Every team except the champion lives with some level of disappointment and frustration.

But I'm not letting that loss against Illinois paint the season's picture. Considering the youth, the schedule, the recruiting, the improvement in consistency we achieved year over year, the utter lack of bench productivity and options, and I'll say it again, utter lack of bench productivity and options, it was an amazing coaching job by Tad.

Tad can't always take the blame when a FR or SO has a bad game like Spencer did against Illinois. And that's what we're really talking about, the loss to Illinois. If someone wants to give Spencer a pass and have Tad take the heat instead, then that's an option. Tad's a grown up and he'd likely do that no problem.

But my take is he doesn't deserve that heat.

Both ASU losses were garbage and shouldn't have happened. Those are some BAD losses. Tad exceeded expectations in some areas (e.g., winning the Charleston Classic) and failed expectations in others. I don't see how you can give him an "A+". I also do not concur that this team was always a joy to watch. Sometimes, we were flat out painful to watch. We have got to get the offense going next year. Between the Mayor, XJ, and Scott, there is more than enough capable offensive talent on this team.

I'm not sure whether it was in this thread or a different one, but I concur with the poster that stated XJ was the best NBA prospect on our team. Kid can be (is) a beast and just has to develop some consistency.
Only way you can give Tad an A+ is if you are overjoyed with a "second" round loss.

I give him an A- for recruiting. No huge guys but very good guys. I give him an A for the first third, B+ for second third and B for final third. He gets bad marks for Utah, ASU, and OSU. Great marks for UA, and the two Oregon games. I give him a B to B- for the NCAA's but, given that Illinois was really competitive against Miami, I give him a B+. So, overall, B+ to A-. I'd say B+. And I think that is very good,.

You're assuming I'm not disappointed which is where you're off track. There's only one victor when it's all said and done (Buffedup, that should clarify the previous statement). Every team except the champion lives with some level of disappointment and frustration.

But I'm not letting that loss against Illinois paint the season's picture. Considering the youth, the schedule, the recruiting, the improvement in consistency we achieved year over year, the utter lack of bench productivity and options, and I'll say it again, utter lack of bench productivity and options, it was an amazing coaching job by Tad.

Tad can't always take the blame when a FR or SO has a bad game like Spencer did against Illinois. And that's what we're really talking about, the loss to Illinois. If someone wants to give Spencer a pass and have Tad take the heat instead, then that's an option. Tad's a grown up and he'd likely do that no problem.

But my take is he doesn't deserve that heat.
And that is exactly what I'm talking about. That line is beyond overused in justifying some losses.

And that is exactly what I'm talking about. That line is beyond overused in justifying some losses.

You're unhappy about the loss and want to blame Tad. Take out an ad in the BDC letting everyone else know. We've heard it already.

I give Tad a very high A for the year. I fully expected the team to have to fight tooth and nail for a .500 record. Finishing as high as we did completely exceeded my expectations. Making the tournament and having a legitimate chance to win the game were purely a bonus for me.

You're unhappy about the loss and want to blame Tad. Take out an ad in the BDC letting everyone else know. We've heard it already.
No not at all, I just don't think he deserved the best possible grade. Big difference between blaming him and saying he significantly overachieved this year.

No not at all, I just don't think he deserved the best possible grade. Big difference between blaming him and saying he significantly overachieved this year.

I haven't heard a legit reason why we need to demand more from Tad in year 3. Our first back to back tourney appearance in 60 years and that's not good enough? Talk about instant gratification!

Lets see if I follow your logic:
Year 1: Tourney (Failed, but not his fault)
Year 2: Advance to 3rd round (Pass)
Year 3: Sweet 16 (Failed)
Year 4: Elite 8
Year 5: Final four
Year 6: Championship
Year 7: Championship #2

Anything seem weird about these projections, how it's always going up and to the right?

Back