What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What grade do you give the 2017 recruiting class?

What grade do you give the 2017 recruiting class?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think RB is probably the position this staff has been the least effective in recruiting.

Production wise sure.

But if you're talking about straight up recruiting, you couldn't be more wrong.

I think RB is probably the position this staff has been the least effective in recruiting.

That's fair to a degree. I still think the talent evaluation has been good, though. But we haven't been winning recruiting battles. Adkins was a find, but didn't improve from his freshman year. Lindsay has been a player beyond any reasonable expectations. Carr was a heck of a recruit. Dino was a risk that didn't work. Bish was a great get, but too early to know what the future is there. Fontenot a total mystery at this point. None of those guys had a ton of P5 options to play RB on signing day.

I think it makes a huge difference that Adams is no longer coaching out of position and that Hagan is recruiting the position. Also helps going forward, I'm sure, that we just had a RB rush for over 1,200 yards this year. No excuse now for not being able to close against rivals for highly sought after RBs in the '18 class... especially with such a favorable depth chart after this season.

Production wise sure.

But if you're talking about straight up recruiting, you couldn't be more wrong.

Enlighten me. If we are talking "straight up recruiting," Bisharat was basically the only one with other real options.

Speaking of Bisharat, what position is he going to be playing at going forward?

RB if he can be successful there. He played more and more as the season went on in 2016, but it seemed that was mostly as a lead blocker for Sefo on QB powers.

Seems like every Scout podcast of Adam's, he's gushing about Beau on the special teams coverage squads wrecking and dodging dudes on his way down the field. MacIntyre, I believe, made a comment about him being an NFL player if he decides to play LB. This background hype of what he could be almost makes me feel like I'm getting cheated if I never see him as a LB. :D

I really think that this class is going to be looked at as our foundation for great years ahead of us. We upgraded almost everyone of our positions. I love that we went out and landed highly regarded recruits in both the Offensive and Defensive trenches. The WR's are legit too. This class was huge. I am excited to see how we do with the '18 class!

For me, this class is an A-. That's tempered with relative expectations; in a couple years, I expect an A- class to be a little more solid.

Am I the only one who hasn't given up on Bisharat at RB? If after this year he doesn't show much, I'll join your little bandwagon, but I'd like to see how he does with some time in the college ranks.

I haven't given up on him and I don't think Hagan has either. I think the coaches like him there as the bruising back.

I just have to say, this class has potential to be damn good. After seeing Wells and Lewis in person, I completely trust the coaching staff and their evaluations. And no, I'm not trying to crown them from one scrimmage, but it's clear to see the staff found some hidden gems. Stars matter, no doubt, but the recruiting sites either missed, or weren't accurate about many of our recruits.

4*s in my opinion:
Jake Moretti - duh
KD Nixon - duh
Laviska Shenault - 4* on Scout and just duh
Grant Polley - same as Shenault, all-American in HS
Jaylon Jackson - was a 4* before the second ACL tear
Tyler Lytle - 4* on one site + just a good QB in a brutal division with a young team
Chris Miller - offensive that he wasn't a 4* after all the big teams came after him as a MM DB
Nate Landman - offensive that he wasn't a 4* and that more teams didn't offer him
Dante Sparaco - would have been a 4* if he played defense and/or played at IMG his junior season as well, no doubt in my mind
Jon Van Diest - 4* on one site, also really good at football
Terrance Lang - badly wanted by USC, already looks like he can contribute but a RS will be good
Jacob Callier - a Scout writer said they basically all felt he was a 4*, just limited to a 3-4 defense, already ready to contribute

That leaves us with Jared Poplawski, Maurice Bell, Isaiah Lewis, Carson Wells, Heston Paige, Alex Fontenot, Chase Newman, and Will Sherman (+jucos). This group is already either impressing, had good offers in the first place, or some combination of both (Newman is hurt unfortunately). Paige is no longer the skinny OL he was when he committed as a 2*. Fontenot, Poplawski, and Sherman look really good and were borderline 4* players. Maurice Bell had a good offer list and Chev will get the most out of him. And Lewis and Wells should have never been 2*s and might be two of the best recruits in the class when it's said and done.

Buffsurveyor voted C but his team's class ended up more like a C after losing 3 top recruits ^_^

For me most of it depends on how moretti and polley turn out. If they come back from this injuries to be the stud lineman we thought then it completes this class. Poplawski is a huge pickup and it looks like the coaches want to use him which will really help the offense.

Back