What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What happens first

Which one happens first

• CSU breaks ground on new on-campus stadium

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • CU breaks ground on new indoor practice facility

Votes: 63 61.2%
  • CSU plants more bushes, paves more over more of the cow patties and calls it a successful project

Votes: 32 31.1%

• Total voters
Fair point. I will rephrase. No one with any decision making authority at CSU is talking about changing the timeline at this point.

You're making assumptions.

I make assumptions too. I assume the policy makers at CSU come over to Allbuffs to make fun of CSU. It seems reasonable in my world.

Fair point. I will rephrase. No one with any decision making authority at CSU is talking about changing the timeline at this point.

"decision-making authority" at csu... hmmmm.

that's got to be the equivalent of fry cook at waffle house, right?

So u do or dont have to move the greenhouses?

The stadium only takes up 3 of the 9 PERC plots so my understanding is they would move those three impacted lots first which would allow them to break ground. But yes, they will move all the greenhouses eventually.

Last edited:
I'm actually nervous for them. They have spent a lot of money on coaches and restructured their salaries to reflect trying to take it to a new level. This hasn't moved the needle on attendance. The lack of a hit on fundraising makes the whole bring in a business man AD project seem like it could have been a mistake, and now they are right where they started with more $'s spent and no invitation to the big boy money train conferences.

In the end, having several viable football schools in Colorado is a good thing. I'm very excited CU is moving forward with their project. I'm sorry, although not surprised, that the whole internet chatter about the money already having been raised was just more BS. I wish CSU the mountain conference had not formed the Mtn Network. It took a fun mid week ESPN game machine and moved the conference backwards in my opinion. CSU's business school just schooled CU's in the rankings. Hopefully that is a wake up call for that department at CU and hopefully they can use some of that business acumen to market their football program and get their stadium sold out for 3-4 games a year.

Why is having several viable football teams in Colorado a good thing?

Matt Stephens is the worst 'journalist' i've seen, even in a market with lots of crappy sports journalists.

There is one valid point that's been made here, and that's that as much as we'd all like to see this fail, and fail spectacularly at that, we really DON'T want this to fail. If they step on their dicks, that doesn't bode well for us going forward. I know that a reasonable person can differentiate between CSU incompetence and CU's (competence?), but the state legislature isn't exactly populated with reasonable people.

Having an alternative for kids who can't meet the academic requirements for PAC 12.

Why is having several viable football teams in Colorado a good thing?

This helps keep high school football relevant and thus helps CU. On a per capita basis, Utah is putting more kids into NCAA football. Why is that? I think it has something to do with Utah, BYU, Utah state, and Weber all having programs that are at least a bit relevant. This keeps the dream alive for a lot of boys, that probably aren't on the Radar outside Utah.

Colorado now has Pueblo, CSU AFA and CU. I think CU and AFA probably have similar academic standards for admittance. I have made an assumption that CSU is a bit easier for a border line athlete. I could be wrong?

Matt Stephens is the worst 'journalist' i've seen, even in a market with lots of crappy sports journalists.

Apparently Stephens interviewed one environmental professor for his story and then extrapolated out a timeline for the construction of stadium based on that interview. He never confirmed any of the details with anyone in the AD, yet he ran with the story as if it were accurate. It was just flat out lazy "reporting" - if you can even call it that.

Colorado now has Pueblo, CSU AFA and CU. I think CU and AFA probably have similar academic standards for admittance. I have made an assumption that CSU is a bit easier for a border line athlete. I could be wrong?

Two inaccuracies in this statement. One - you forgot UNC. Also Wyoming is an attractive alternative for a lot of Colorado players who aren't quite to the standard of the larger BCS schools.

Second, Air Force and CU are nothing alike in terms of standards for admittance. Nothing alike at all. Getting into the Air Force Adademy is like getting into an Ivy League school. Now, they probably loosen their standards a little for athletes, but not much. No more than Stanford or Northwestern do.

This helps keep high school football relevant and thus helps CU. On a per capita basis, Utah is putting more kids into NCAA football. Why is that? I think it has something to do with Utah, BYU, Utah state, and Weber all having programs that are at least a bit relevant. This keeps the dream alive for a lot of boys, that probably aren't on the Radar outside Utah.

AFA's admittance standards far exceed any of the state universities. CSU's standards are roughly the same as the other land-grant universities in the region (i.e Kansas State, Washington State, Oklahoma State, etc.)

Apparently Stephens interviewed one environmental professor for his story and then extrapolated out a timeline for the construction of stadium based on that interview. He never confirmed any of the details with anyone in the AD, yet he ran with the story as if it were accurate. It was just flat out lazy "reporting" - if you can even call it that.

It says he is the Director of PERC. So either he is lying or the AD is...

High Poly population

Stephens also likes to troll the comments of his own articles and hangs out on Ramnation. Guy is a turd

It says he is the Director of PERC. So either he is lying or the AD is...

With all due respect to Prof. Klett, the Director of PERC, I think he makes a lot of assumptions about what Tony Frank will ultimately do about the relocation of his department.

Last edited:

When I get on a computer I'll respond in depth but I disagree with a lot of that

With all due respect to Mr. Klett, the Director of PERC, I think he makes a lot of assumptions about what Tony Frank will ultimately do about the relocation of his department.

I am sure that if the large agro-business interests that invest millions each year in research projects are ok with destroying something that has the potential to increase their profits, then the timeline will not move, however if said businesses say no, Mr. Frank will have no choice but to wait until those projects are complete. No university president is dumb enough to sacrifice current and future research dollars for athletics. As much as fans think that athletics is king, research dollars bring in dollars that are an order of magnitude larger than what athletics ever brings in.

Stephens also likes to troll the comments of his own articles and hangs out on Ramnation. Guy is a turd

Matt is a nice enough guy personally. I had drinks with him a few years ago prior to a CU-CSU basketball game in Boulder. He is just really young and tends to play fast and loose with his "facts." A very bad combination for a reporter.

I am sure that if the large agro-business interests that invest millions each year in research projects are ok with destroying something that has the potential to increase their profits, then the timeline will not move, however if said businesses say no, Mr. Frank will have no choice but to wait until those projects are complete. No university president is dumb enough to sacrifice current and future research dollars for athletics. As much as fans think that athletics is king, research dollars bring in dollars that are an order of magnitude larger than what athletics ever brings in.

You could be right. That is especially true of CSU's situation right now as it is making every effort reach coveted AAU status - which is highly dependent on research dollars.

You forgot UNCO.

For the state, it's really CU, CSU, AFA and UNCO. Dropping down below FCS is too low to have an impact on the conversation, so I wouldn't include Pueblo.

But I don't see how this "keeps high school football relevant". The driver for that is population in well-funded suburban metro high schools. That's growing and will yield more and more quality players. I'm not sure how them thinking of CSU in the future as a better option than they see it now benefits CU in any way.

You forgot UNCO.

For the state, it's really CU, CSU, AFA and UNCO. Dropping down below FCS is too low to have an impact on the conversation, so I wouldn't include Pueblo.

But I don't see how this "keeps high school football relevant". The driver for that is population in well-funded suburban metro high schools. That's growing and will yield more and more quality players. I'm not sure how them thinking of CSU in the future as a better option than they see it now benefits CU in any way.

I don't think you can even include Air Force. They don't pull heavily from the state given the academy's mission. AFA only has 4 Colorado kids on the current roster.

I don't think you can even include Air Force. They don't pull heavily from the state given the academy's mission. AFA only has 4 Colorado kids on the current roster.

True. AFA is a national footprint, pulling in kids from everywhere.

The only thing I think those programs may do is from the standpoint of more kids being likely to grow up as football fans if there is a college program that's an important part of their community.

True. AFA is a national footprint, pulling in kids from everywhere.

The only thing I think those programs may do is from the standpoint of more kids being likely to grow up as football fans if there is a college program that's an important part of their community.

That's true. And Colo. Springs does support the Zoomies well.

Back