What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What if Coach Mac Had Stuck Around past 1994?

Idot Buff

I think we would be talking about 3 or 4 national titles, not just one.....

neuheisel would have been the oc by then...

barnett would have come back as the dc in 95...

barnett would have kicked neuheisel's ass in 96 for being such a pussy...

neuheisel would have sued the university, mccartney, and barnett in 97 for damages and defamation of character...

coach mac would have resigned in 98 to form an organization based on the strength of family values

dave logan would have been hired as interim head coach for the university of colorado in 98

barnett would have resigned from cu in 98 and taken a job as dc with the dallas cowboys in 2000...

neuheisel would have taken a job as coordinator of the celebrity golf tour in 2001...

jerry jones would have bought the tv rights to the celebrity golf tour in 2002...

barnett, neuheisel, and jerry jones would have collaborated to form an arena football team in 2005...

jerry jones would have been indicted by the nevada gaming commission in 2006 for "conflict of interest" violations...neuheisel would have been named in the indictment as an accomplice...

barnett would have testified against jerry jones and rick neuheisel in 2006; forcing each to resign their positions with the dallas cowboys...

dave logan would have resigned in 2006 to take a position at espn, after taking the buffs to their fourth big xii title game loss...

after an extensive search, dan hawkins from boise state would have been hired as new head coach for the 2007 season...

whoa...we are a year ahead of schedule...

that rocks!!

neuheisel would have sued the university, mccartney, and barnett in 97 for damages and defamation of character...

coach mac would have resigned in 98 to form an organization based on the strength of family values

dave logan would have been hired as interim head coach for the university of colorado in 98

barnett would have resigned from cu in 98 and taken a job as dc with the dallas cowboys in 2000...

neuheisel would have taken a job as coordinator of the celebrity golf tour in 2001...

jerry jones would have bought the tv rights to the celebrity golf tour in 2002...

barnett, neuheisel, and jerry jones would have collaborated to form an arena football team in 2005...

jerry jones would have been indicted by the nevada gaming commission in 2006 for "conflict of interest" violations...neuheisel would have been named in the indictment as an accomplice...

barnett would have testified against jerry jones and rick neuheisel in 2006; forcing each to resign their positions with the dallas cowboys...

dave logan would have resigned in 2006 to take a position at espn, after taking the buffs to their fourth big xii title game loss...

after an extensive search, dan hawkins from boise state would have been hired as new head coach for the 2007 season...

that rocks!!
Wow!!! My Brain Hurts

that rocks!!

How much did you drink tonight?

If Mac were still the coach, I am sure we wouldnt have had our kick ass uniforms and logo messed up by Nike.

And yes, it will be tough to ever be as good as that 94 team and with the way we are going, it will be impossible to look as good as that 94 team. Seriously, that 94 team didn't win the NC, but aside from NU in stinkoln, I don't think there was any other college football game that 94 team couldn't win that year.

If Mac were around, TC McCartney would be a Buff.

Agreed! Their trophy case would have had a few more national championships trophys. That man knew how to coach, recruit, & hire assistants.

I don't know that McCartney would have won any more National Championships.

Nebraska won the National Championship in 1995 and 1997.

As good of a team as he recruited for the 1994 season, the players were much different and the offense was much different, following. His recruiting changed his last couple years.

It is incredibly rare for one coach to win multiple national championships.

I don't know that McCartney would have won any more National Championships.

Nebraska won the National Championship in 1995 and 1997.

As good of a team as he recruited for the 1994 season, the players were much different and the offense was much different, following. His recruiting changed his last couple years.

It is incredibly rare for one coach to win multiple national championships.

I agree. People that weren't here forget what an effect his family issues had on him at the end. You could see it in him and I think it would have translated in less then a full effort on his part.

Promise Keepers was the excuse as to why he left, but it wasn't the reason.

That man knew how to coach, recruit, & hire assistants.

you got 2 out of 3 right.

always hated when Mac had a set of headphones on during a game.

EDIT: and Macs coaching cost us the 1994 game against the fuskers

Last edited:
The lettering over the entrance to Norlin Library would have been changed to read:

"Homosexuality is an abomination before God...Go Buffs".

Things probably worked out for the best...

The lettering over the entrance to Norlin Library would have been changed to read:

"Homosexuality is an abomination before God...Go Buffs".

Things probably worked out for the best...

This thread could easily get bumped to the "Polotics" board. :huh:

you got 2 out of 3 right.

always hated when Mac had a set of headphones on during a game.

EDIT: and Macs coaching cost us the 1994 game against the fuskers

Yep, Mac was a master motivator and recruiter but he wasn't always praised for his game day coaching decisions.

If Mac were around, TC McCartney would be a Buff.
Oddly, Les Miles as a favor to Mac, let TC walk on at LSU. He was pretty much destined to be a scout team QB, and probably will remain one. With goofball Perrilloux now playing football in the backwoods of Alabama, TC is only a few injuries away from getting on the field for the Tigers. He's probably the #4 quarterback on the depth charts now. If Jerrett Lee and Andrew Hatch go down with injuries who knows?

I also saw Mac as a excellent recruiter and motivator, but he flat out cost CU a NC in 1994 when he refused to pass against Nebraska and lost 24 - 7. He had Stewart at QB, Carruth as WR, and Christian Fauria TE. He later admitted that he should have thrown more, but he was stubborn and wanted to run it down Nebraska's throat with Salaam. The 1990 Championship game was going the same way, lucky Hagan got injured and CU had to go with Charles Johnson who was a better passer. Mac was forced to open up the offense more with Johnson instead of sticking to the option and won the NC because of it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Mac would have certainly won any more NC's. The Buffs would have been more competitive overall though IMO. GB had a couple of very good teams ('01 and '02), and some pretty good teams. RN had a good team in '98 but pretty much took it downhill from there.

I think we would be talking about 3 or 4 national titles, not just one.....

I respectively disagree with that statement. Maybe if the coach Mac of the late 80s and very early 90s stuck around the program would have continued to thrive but by the time he left he had other priorities in life. Had he not left, I believe the program would have suffered due to all of the other distractions in coach Mac's life.

Coach Mac did the right thing for the program and for himself when he stepped aside. One could argue that the university let him down by not putting the program into better hands.

Coach Mac did the right thing for the program and for himself when he stepped aside. One could argue that the university let him down by not putting the program into better hands.

Our options at the time were:

Neuhisel
Simmons
Hankwitz
Uzelac (I think)

None of those other guys has done anything to make me think we made the wrong choice. I guess they could have hired Bob Stoops, but at the time, he was a low-rung assistant at KSU. Barnett was an outside candidate, but had recently gone to Northwestern and probably wasn't ready to make the move back just yet.

I also saw Mac as a excellent recruiter and motivator, but he flat out cost CU a NC in 1994 when he refused to pass against Nebraska and lost 24 - 7. He had Stewart at QB, Carruth as WR, and Christian Fauria TE. He later admitted that he should have thrown more, but he was stubborn and wanted to run it down Nebraska's throat with Salaam. The 1990 Championship game was going the same way, lucky Hagan got injured and CU had to go with Charles Johnson who was a better passer. Mac was forced to open up the offense more with Johnson instead of sticking to the option and won the NC because of it.

:cry: i know about that 94 game.

Our options at the time were:

Neuhisel
Simmons
Hankwitz
Uzelac (I think)

None of those other guys has done anything to make me think we made the wrong choice. I guess they could have hired Bob Stoops, but at the time, he was a low-rung assistant at KSU. Barnett was an outside candidate, but had recently gone to Northwestern and probably wasn't ready to make the move back just yet.

Jackie Sherril was available back then....:lol:

In all seriousness, I was pulling for JS to come to CU. I'm quite sure I was the only one....and I'm sure it is a good thing I was the only one....

Back