What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What if....

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member
CU got an offer from the Big XI?

(Total conjecture, but seriously, if Mizzou gets an offer, why not CU?)

I just don't think going that far west interests them in the least. The only reason Texas is being talked about is because of its insane population base and TVs.

Iowa City = Ames. West Lafayette = Lubbock. Columbus = Columbia. College Station = State College. Evanston = Lawrence. Madison = Austin (only colder). Bloomington = Manhattan.

No thanks.

Iowa City = Ames. West Lafayette = Lubbock. Columbus = Columbia. College Station = State College. Evanston = Lawrence. Madison = Austin (only colder). Bloomington = Manhattan.

No thanks.

My thinking. I would hate it. But damn they would throw us some serious $.

When the conversation about Big XI expansion happened a couple years ago, I definitely heard CU's name mentioned. Nothing more. The Big 11 would have to bring a whole lot of $$$ to the table.

it wouldn't be a good fit, imho.

we don't do a lot of recruiting in that footprint. the weather is crappier, overall. the roadies would be brutal. where are the alums? and, michigan, osu, and psu would outspend us from here until kingdom come. what would be good about it (other than to be pursued by multiple conferences so we can get a good deal from the p10)?

I'd rather road trip to existing Pac-10 states. Or stay put, as at least the current towns we'd be going to are closer than the Great Lakes region.

Not a good fit at all. The $ would sure be nice but dunno if that would offset recruiting damage. However, whoever thinks Big 10 towns are just like Big 12 towns is bat**** insane.

I don't think it would happen unless it was part of a "super-conference" expansion but we're probably on the Big 10's medium-short / plan B list. Think about it. How many schools are there out there that can meet the following criteria:

• Fits the Big X academic profile / major research university
  • BCS program in a top 15-20 (and growing) TV market, with the added benefit of very limited competition from other schools sharing the market (CSU and Air Force are marginal from a TV point of view, though it could be argued Nebraska and Kansas get a small share as well)
  • No political baggage / sibling schools to prevent a move
  • Willing to consider leaving its current conference
Not a whole lot of schools on that list. I wouldn't be surprised if we're not in the top 6-8 being considered. Doesn't mean its a very good idea, due to the disconnect with our west coast alumni base and recruiting area. It would probably be a huge academic windfall for the university and raise our profile considerably, but I'm pretty sure we'd be the smallest school in the conference (except for maybe Purdue?) in terms of size and and endowment and might end up relegated to bottom feeder status due to an inability to compete with spending by the big boys. Since expansion is mostly about generating additional revenue, CU and the Colorado television market are pretty damn appealing to any conference looking to expand despite our recent ineptitude. We're probably viewed as a "buy low" opportunity, since it would be hard for things to get any worse unless we ditch athletics entirely, and if things were hunky dory we might not be disgruntled enough to move. I would find it hilarious if the academics who constantly bemoan the football program and wish it would go away ended up reaping a financial windfall because of joining the Big 10's CIC program. Might be just the thing to open up the admins eyes to the benefits of an effective athletic department.

Last edited:
Not a good fit at all. The $ would sure be nice but dunno if that would offset recruiting damage. However, whoever thinks Big 10 towns are just like Big 12 towns is bat**** insane.

right, other than champagne (boring **** hole) and west lafayette (boring **** hole in the middle of nowhere) the big ten cities are pretty good for gameday spots. i would still much rather go to the pac10 though.

right, other than champagne (boring **** hole) and west lafayette (boring **** hole in the middle of nowhere) the big ten cities are pretty good for gameday spots. i would still much rather go to the pac10 though.

I actually like Champaign-Urbana a lot. Ended up deciding to go to CU over UofI because I liked Boulder a lot more but Champaign has a lot to offer. Biggest drawback IMO is that while it's driving distance to 3 major cities (Chicago, Indy, STL), it's 2 1/2 hours from each one of them. And of course the weather sucks. Agreed on West Lafayette. Never been to East Lansing or Iowa City.

one of CU and the Big 8 school's problems vs. the UT's and ATM's of the world is that most of the Big 8 schools are about 30,000 total enrollment. UT, ATM and most of the Big 10/11 schools are about 50,000. more enrollment, more alums, more TV sets, more boosters, more money. that problem is exacerbated by a move to the Big 10.

i can get behind the Pac move. big 10, meh. and, like i say, when you are a school with 60% of the resources of your competition....that's no bargain no matter how "per capita" good the education is.

No thanks.

I would say State College = Boulder, but not sure what this has to do with going to the Big10? The SEC is the best conference in the country and those college towns are abysmal. Tuscaloosa, Athens, Auburn, anywhere in Mississippi...etc...

Last edited:
The Big Eleven sounds nice but given how things have gone for the Buffs in the Big 12, I'd rather not go that way.

Bob, you clearly have never been to Champaign... easily one of the best nightlife/party schools in the Midwest. Kam's is usually Playboy's #1 college bar every year. For sports, its basketball atmosphere is much better than football. And, it's a Top-40 academic school.

Yes, I am biased, as I am an alum of both UofI and CU. But ask most Chicagoans or other Big Ten school alums, and they will likely have good things to say about Champaign-Urbana.

I've also got to rep for Ann Arbor, Michigan, one of the great college towns in America. The Big 10 has several great college towns -- Madison and Ann Arbor are 2. Plus, Evanston/Chicago is a great road trip and the new stadium in Minneapolis makes Minnesota games a good trip.

Also, the $$$ is better in the Big 10.

But all this said, I'd rather be in the Pac.

Bob, you clearly have never been to Champaign... easily one of the best nightlife/party schools in the Midwest. Kam's is usually Playboy's #1 college bar every year. For sports, its basketball atmosphere is much better than football. And, it's a Top-40 academic school.

Yes, I am biased, as I am an alum of both UofI and CU. But ask most Chicagoans or other Big Ten school alums, and they will likely have good things to say about Champaign-Urbana.

illinois is no where near the best party school schools in the midwest. madison, iowa city, and bloomington take that easily. the only redeeming factor is the fact 19 year olds can get in the bars.

I would say State College = Boulder, but not sure what this has to do with going to the Big10? The SEC is the best conference in the country and those college towns are abysmal. Tuscaloosa, Athens, Auburn, anywhere in Mississippi...etc...

Being an SEC guy who did my undergrad at Arkansas, and having been to most SEC towns, I would actually say they are better then most give them credit for. Have you even been to any of these places you are mentioning? Worst two SEC towns = Starkville (aptly named) and Gainesville (believe it or not). Baton Rouge and Tuscaloosa aren't great either. But besides those places, the SEC has some pretty great towns. Auburn is actually a really nice place. Oxford is a very nice college town as well. Athens is really nice, Columbia and Lexington aren't bad at all, Nashville is awesome, Knoxville is a fun place, and Fayetteville is great.

Of course I'm in Boulder now and most of those towns don't offer all the outdoor activities, but as far as nightlife, they are very comparable if not better, and fan support for their schools is much better in town as well. In Fayetteville you see Razorback red in almost every store or place around town... hell on gameday half the place shuts down so people can go watch the hogs. I don't see that as much in Boulder. Though that's not to say Boulder isn't an awesome place to live, because it definitely is.

I guess we all have our opinions.

I have to ask though, did you get your @ss kicked in Champaign before?? Maybe turned down by a girl you were hitting on at CO Daniels?

illinois is no where near the best party school schools in the midwest. madison, iowa city, and bloomington take that easily. the only redeeming factor is the fact 19 year olds can get in the bars.

I just don't think going that far west interests them in the least. The only reason Texas is being talked about is because of its insane population base and TVs.

If the Big 10 added UT that wouldn't get them the Dallas market, would it? Is there a single school that would bring the Dallas market with it?

Not that it would happen, but I'd rather CU go to the Big 10 than the Pac-10 any day.

well out of purely selfish reasons, I would love it... it means no late, late, late games:smile2:

athens is a great college town.

Yeah, Champaign is a really good town. In fact, with the exception of Boulder and Austin, Big 10 cities are much better college towns than Big XII towns. Still, no way do the Buffs belong in the Big 10.

Missouri hasn't been offered, btw, or they'd already be gone.

Only if we were back to being at least decent...I have no interest in being the ISU or Baylor of some new super-conference

Back