What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What in the Holy Hell does Ceal Barry think she's doing

So Ceal is taking a 10% cut in her salary, right? Lead by example, I say....

Good point! But the chance for her or anyone at CU like DiStiff or Benson to take a 10% pay cut is equal to the chance that the oil & gas company's revealing what chemicals they use in their fracking process. Slim & none.

I love this, it gives the illusion that Ceal is being proactive about balancing the books while leaving all the heavy lifting and difficult decisions on what actually gets cut to the respective teams. Making it optional is a nice cherry on top - Phil must have a boner over this one.

Yes Mr. _______, we are thrilled to meet with you tomorrow about our open AD position, but could you be a peach and try not to take E470 on your way into town? In fact, there's a great Supershuttle that will get you here in just 90 minutes!!

I just don't get it. They continue to feed the "CU is poor" narrative every chance they get. Even if somebody leaked it and Hendo came to Ceal for a quote she could've just given him some bs about the department always trying to make wise financial decisions. She might as well have called a press conference for this.

This. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard/read some fan from another team say "CU couldn't afford to..." in the last five years, I'd have far more money than anybody thinks CU AD has.

To what end do we perpetuate this narrative?

I think going so public with this was stupid. But asking departments to tighten their belts isn't that big a deal. Also, I don't agree with putting the "10%" number on it. I know it's kind of accepted to set tangible goals, but wouldn't a dollar amount rather than across the board percentage be better?

What a ****ing PR disaster. Our leadership is hopelessly incompetent. I hope Berry feels accomplished now.

Why is the AD saddled with the entire cost of the move to the PAC? This move presumably benefits the entire school, not just the AD. We have a disastrous combination in Boulder right now (and have had for a very long time). Incompetence within the AD and President's office and a complete lack of understanding of how valuable athletics is to a university. If I was Boyle and/or MikeMac I would have one foot out the door.

It's amateur hour. If Ceal wants to actually accomplish something then make the cuts mandatory - explain that we are making a temporary cut which will resolve our deficit in 18 months at which point the cuts will be lifted. In addition to the cuts we will be be taking steps X, Y, and Z to increase revenue (beer in Folsom, naming rights, etc.).

Have a f**king plan, this optional cut is such a pu**y move an just makes CU look poor - what potential AD candidate wants to read this??

If I'm coach Mac I'm laughing at this - Oh, so you brought me in here to help turn around this dumpster fire of a program (that happens to be the departments largest revenue source), and now at the onset of this rebuilding effort the INTERIM AD is asking me to please cut my budget to help pay debts brought on by having to buyout my two predecessors? F**k that.

Last edited:
It's amateur hour. If Ceal wants to actually accomplish something then make the cuts mandatory - explain that we are making a temporary cut which will resolve our deficit in 18 months at which point the cuts will be lifted. In addition to the cuts we will be be taking steps X, Y, and Z to increase revenue (beer in Folsom, naming rights, etc.).

Have a f**king plan, this mandatory cut is such a pu**y move an just makes CU look poor - what potential AD candidate wants to read this??

If I'm coach Mac I'm laughing at this - Oh, so you brought me in here to help turn around this dumpster fire of a program (that happens to be the departments largest revenue source), and now at the onset of this rebuilding effort the INTERIM AD is asking me to please cut my budget to help pay debts brought on by having to buyout my two predecessors? F**k that.

You nailed it.

Why would this get released to the media?

Only because Ceal and Phil are so proud of this that they want a light shined upon it.

I cheer for the teams, love Boulder and the state of Colorado, and find CU impossible to stomach as an organizational culture.

Given the last number I saw for total athletic revenue 10% actually makes sense in relation to the 7.5 million deficit...but its not like it will eliminate that gap since we're only talking operational costs and not salary or scholarships, which likely makes up the bulk of each program's budget. If the admin wanted to fix the gap literally today, they would announce that scholarships would now be charged to the AD at the in-state rate (maybe just for upperclassmen who have established residency)...boom no more gap. Hell what do you think they could get just by allowing beer sales, nearly a million bucks over the course of the season?

I think going so public with this was stupid. But asking departments to tighten their belts isn't that big a deal. Also, I don't agree with putting the "10%" number on it. I know it's kind of accepted to set tangible goals, but wouldn't a dollar amount rather than across the board percentage be better?

Yeap that is the point.

What in the Holy Hell does Ceal Berry think she's doing

I like how this pay cut issue was announced at the same time that they announced the extensions of Boyle and Lappe.

Last edited:
I can't get over the fact that Ceal and her bosses believed that this was such a wonderful thing that they needed to run to the Post and get as much ink over it as possible.

It's ****ing amateur hour up there.

I can't get over the fact that Ceal and her bosses believed that this was such a wonderful thing that they needed to run to the Post and get as much ink over it as possible.

It's ****ing amateur hour up there.

Didya hear? We're broke.

That's right, y'all! We're broke!

Erm...Go Buffs!

do you announce to the world when you are about to do it? what would be the reaction if a company went public with this type of info?

Most large companies an organizations have some sort of competent PR person who stops these foot-in-mouth comments before they ever make it public. CU is clearly lacking in this department. This isn't the first time we've had horribly timed announcements.

do you announce to the world when you are about to do it? what would be the reaction if a company went public with this type of info?

Its stock would drop and consumer confidence would fall -- which has actually been the result for CU following every single one of these types of announcements it has made. This university has been in decline since Phil took over. Time to give him another raise, I guess.

Back