What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What is Greg Brown doing on defense? Worst I've ever seen...

I am not a football guru, so I cant tell you if it is scheme and coaching or poor execution and lack of talent. What I can tell you is that was ****ing pathetic. Something has to change. We lost rippy so now the D is officially ****ed. So lets just start a bunch of underclassmen and see if we cant get anything done.

One thing that I seem to always hear is that we are shading a safety over hear to protect so and so, or we have the LBs doing something to protect somebody else. Lets just line it up and play it strait. No compensation, just get it done. It can hardly be worse than the **** show I saw today.

Its not about the X's and O's, its all about the Jimmys and Joes. :lol:

The talent is the biggest issue, partly due to Brown's ineffectiveness on the recruiting trail. And it is not getting any better this year either. We are down to offering a bunch of athletes who might be decent DBs in time.
You keep saying that about Brown. I won't question you on that. Bummer if true. I hope Embree critically evaluates his coaches after the season. In every area. If you can make a change in the coaching staff for the better, even if it means making a tough decision, you have to do it. That is the one troubling thing about Embree hiring "friends." Makes it much tougher.

I'm glad most of you are experts. It helps me to understand by reading your insightful comments. Greg Brown sucks and anyone who claims it could be because of a "lack of talent" is just making excuses. Thanks for helping me understand.

Hearing this from the guy who year after year was the expert on hawk "turning it around". Short memories at allbuffs.

The talent is the biggest issue, partly due to Brown's ineffectiveness on the recruiting trail. And it is not getting any better this year either. We are down to offering a bunch of athletes who might be decent DBs in time.

Exactly. We have mondo playing time to sell. If Brown were worth a fiddler's damn, we should be getting commits from guys who have the potential to start 3-4 years at this level. That's lower 4* and higher 3* recruits at a minimum. Instead, we're down to guys who are borderline as to whether or not they will ever even develop to the point they should see game reps in a BCS conference. About a half notch above the Hawk years when our safety recruits had absolutely no business anywhere above the MAC/CUSA/DII level, but not enough better to matter.

I don't think Embree can afford to be overly patient with Brown's recruiting problems. Bad classes this year and next would put us in a hole talent-wise at least through 2015.

I'd like you to name a DC who could have a decent defense with this secondary.

Britney spears or Lady Gaga could do a better job as a dc than Greg Brown. I bet they'd recruit a whole lot better too.

quit making excuses for Brown. He wasn't getting it done on Hawk's staff and now he's inept on Embree's staff. This ain't a Supreme court appointment where u can be a CU coach forever just cause u bleed black and gold. When u don't produce you get replaced just like players do.

Time to hit the road Brown

I am just blown away at how open every other teams receivers are? It is unreal how many times an opposing qb drops back and has all day and has 3 wide open guys to choose from. This season is so much worse than I ever could have imagined. Oregon may score 100 next week or whenever the F it is.

Venting, nothing left here, I am watching and even going to games but dear God it is a struggle. Please God send us brighter days in Buff Football. Amen.

Creatini looks like a voice of reason, and I'm not even drunk. Buy a lotto ticket and look out for astroids, weird things happening.

I just don't get the Brown hate, yes he was a part of the old staff for a while and not a long time Buff like Cabral. He didn't recruit great talent under Hawkins, nobody else did either. Hawk had his "system" for who he recruited and micromanaged the process, I'm not blaming Brown for that era.

As far as recruiting now, we will see, give him a year or two before panicing.

As a DC it is completely crazy to blame him for what is happening now. They blitz like crazy because they have no chance what so ever of getting a big play on defense otherwise. How many of the defensive starters on this team would start for Washington or Stanford, the last two teams we played. Then start piling up injuries for a team that had no depth to start with and what you see is the result.

I know losing sucks and getting blown out sucks even more but scapegoating Brown or Hansen or some of the others I have heard makes no sense at all.

Creatini looks like a voice of reason, and I'm not even drunk. Buy a lotto ticket and look out for astroids, weird things happening.

I just don't get the Brown hate, yes he was a part of the old staff for a while and not a long time Buff like Cabral. He didn't recruit great talent under Hawkins, nobody else did either. Hawk had his "system" for who he recruited and micromanaged the process, I'm not blaming Brown for that era.

As a DC it is completely crazy to blame him for what is happening now. They blitz like crazy because they have no chance what so ever of getting a big play on defense otherwise. How many of the defensive starters on this team would start for Washington or Stanford, the last two teams we played. Then start piling up injuries for a team that had no depth to start with and what you see is the result.

I know losing sucks and getting blown out sucks even more but scapegoating Brown or Hansen or some of the others I have heard makes no sense at all.

That's fine. IF you want to give Greg Brown and the others a pass for not doing anything the past 5 years on the other staff fine by me. When Embree is gone I hope the next coach keeps Brown and the others around cause damn we just can't have a program without those guys on the staff in some way. Maybe Greg Brown will be our next head coach. Remember, he took over the defense (allegedly according to the Brownmanics) after the Toledo game in 2009 from Collins (team finished 3-9). And his work with the defense this year along with his stellar recruiting, hell I'm not sure why this guy isn't the next coach at Arizona. Great resume. Guy is awesome.

Last edited:

I get it after today. We all know we don't have depth and talent, but getting blown out by the margin we saw today is a lot coaching as well. Allowing UW to score TDs on 5 straight possessions - but we don't want to blame the DC?

What about the easy, wide open catches UW had? Those are bad coverage schemes and bad overall playcalling. He's got to do better.

I get it after today. We all know we don't have depth and talent, but getting blown out by the margin we saw today is a lot coaching as well. Allowing UW to score TDs on 5 straight possessions - but we don't want to blame the DC?

What about the easy, wide open catches UW had? Those are bad coverage schemes and bad overall playcalling. He's got to do better.
Bad coverage schemes? How do you know what the "schemes" were? Could it be "damned if you do, damned if you don't" with our D backs? They get beat if they cover man. They are too slow to react if they go zone. They get killed if they blitz and don't get to the qb. If they don't blitz, the qb has forever. So, what would you do, dio, if you were d coordinator?? Not intending to rip you because you are probably more knowledgeable than me on this team. I'm just not sure what Brown can do that will work.

Last edited:
This is bad. Like Okruch bad. Those were some awful defenses and we aren't far from that now.

My question is, what has brown done for you? Please don't tell me jimmy smith and jalil brown. I see no reason why a 3rd string wr is covering the best wr on ashington's team none. Scott's liquid gold could cover better than our db's. We either want to do it right or just keep blaming depth. Well, you think recruits and especially "The new staff's recruits" are going to be lining up to come play for this team? People keep saying wait til embree gets his recruits in. Talent isn't coming when they keep seeing this team get blasted each week.

It's not just the secondary, it's the way our LB'S are always out of position. Just look at major, he should be making plays all over the field, instead he's 3 yds behind the de just standing there. Why can't brown come up with a way to get a 3rd down stop?

We all Knew this wasn't going to be a stellar year but please, 1-6?

My question is, what has brown done for you? Please don't tell me jimmy smith and jalil brown. I see no reason why a 3rd string wr is covering the best wr on ashington's team none. Scott's liquid gold could cover better than our db's. We either want to do it right or just keep blaming depth. Well, you think recruits and especially "The new staff's recruits" are going to be lining up to come play for this team? People keep saying wait til embree gets his recruits in. Talent isn't coming when they keep seeing this team get blasted each week.

It's not just the secondary, it's the way our LB'S are always out of position. Just look at major, he should be making plays all over the field, instead he's 3 yds behind the de just standing there. Why can't brown come up with a way to get a 3rd down stop?

We all Knew this wasn't going to be a stellar year but please, 1-6?

What has Brown done for me so far, not much, but I don't think anyone could have done much with what he has available. I do know that if he wasn't here he would have a job someplace else and probably much higher profile and better paying. This is a guy with a super bowl ring and a few years of very high level success.

I'm not saying that Brown deserves a pass or that everything he has done is good. What I am saying is that he is being scapegoated by a very frustrated fanbase that has no clue what is going on other than seeing a very ugly scoreboard each week.

Fire Brown and tell me who is going to come in and do better. Won't happen. If Brown left today the defense would not improve one bit and probably get worse. The Fans would then turn their wrath onto the next scapegoat in line. Thankfully Embree understands what is happening and will tell the fans to go **** themselves until he has a reasonable chance to evaluate the staff and that hasn't happened so far.

If we aren't getting measurably better on a year to year basis then fire Brown, fire others, make the changes. Nobody gets a free pass. To start talking about firing people at this point is simply ridiculous and just as dumb as not firing people after they have had a fair chance to show what they can do and not performed.

top to Bottom

blame all around - the whole football team, including the back-up's, all the coaches and even the admin. staff - need's to share some blame....

What has Brown done for me so far, not much, but I don't think anyone could have done much with what he has available. I do know that if he wasn't here he would have a job someplace else and probably much higher profile and better paying. This is a guy with a super bowl ring and a few years of very high level success.

I'm not saying that Brown deserves a pass or that everything he has done is good. What I am saying is that he is being scapegoated by a very frustrated fanbase that has no clue what is going on other than seeing a very ugly scoreboard each week.

Fire Brown and tell me who is going to come in and do better. Won't happen. If Brown left today the defense would not improve one bit and probably get worse. The Fans would then turn their wrath onto the next scapegoat in line. Thankfully Embree understands what is happening and will tell the fans to go **** themselves until he has a reasonable chance to evaluate the staff and that hasn't happened so far.

If we aren't getting measurably better on a year to year basis then fire Brown, fire others, make the changes. Nobody gets a free pass. To start talking about firing people at this point is simply ridiculous and just as dumb as not firing people after they have had a fair chance to show what they can do and not performed.

agree + we need some players to step up - atleast one player that can force their will on someone a "game changer" that's what the buffs are lacking

THANK YOU! ... ...people of course can be (and should be based on performance) critical of the team and staff, but these reactions have been much too exaggerated. Practically everyone on these boards knew that syko and jimmy would lose it, but come on...some of you are surprising. Yes, the years of futility have become frustrating, but don't lose it...

THANK YOU! ... ...people of course can be (and should be based on performance) critical of the team and staff, but these reactions have been much too exaggerated. Practically everyone on these boards knew that syko and jimmy would lose it, but come on...some of you are surprising. Yes, the years of futility have become frustrating, but don't lose it...

We've got to keep our composure!
[video=youtube;JgRp-CZ1UDc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgRp-CZ1UDc[/video]

Yes, and Rippy is great vs the run, but sucks at coverage so far, I believe most of the TE passes across the middle the last two games were his responsibility and he just let them run by into wide openness with #3 just standing there. He improves his coverage, he will be an excellent LB, until then just a good run stopper.

Terrel Smith struggled early on for sure, hope this improves. Moten needs more reps I think.

Last edited:
Yes, and Rippy is great vs the run, but sucks at coverage so far, I believe most of the TE passes across the middle the last two games were his responsibility and he just let them run by into wide openness with #3 just standing there. He improves his coverage, he will be an excellent LB, until then just a good run stopper.

Terrel Smith struggled early on for sure, hope this improves. Moten needs more reps I think.

I wouldn't assume those completions were on Rippy. I doubt he has much coverage responsibility besides covering backs leaking up the middle. In 3-4 man, either the strong-side OLB or the safety on that side of the field generally has coverage responsibility on the TE. If it's zone, one or both ILB's take responsibility for the short middle, but the posts and deep ins are on the safeties. I admittedly slept through 2-1/2 quarters of the UW game, but the completions I saw over the middle were either deep enough to be in the safeties' zone, or we were in man and a safety got beat 1-on-1 by a WR or TE.

My expectations for this team and the number of wins has been incorrect. Have I gone overboard with blaming greg brown? Maybe, and firing him after 1 year wouldn't make sense but I still don't think he is the guy we'll see. I doubt I'm the first or last to over-react after another bad loss on the road.

this may be unpopular... but it might be time for coach cabral to go... the linebackers short of rippy are awful this year

That maybe the worst idea I have ever heard. Do you know how many NFL linebackers he has produced? How many other teams have a position coach with his loyalty and devotion to a program? How many schools have a position coach that have coached multiple Butkus winners and finalists? How many LB coaches in the NCAA can show up to recruit a kid wearing an NFL championship ring? How many Island kids come here because of him? Do you think there is a reason EVERY SINGLE HC for the past 2 decades has never even thought about bringing in another LB coach? Come on I know the season is rough but we expected this might take a couple years but blaming Cabral is ridiculous in my opinion

Back