What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What kind of recruiting bump can we expect from Leavitt and Tumpkin?

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
Any ideas? We have a relatively small class next year. Numbers I've seen range anywhere from between 14-21 players, depending on attrition.

Do these guys help pull in maybe a few linebackers and DB's that we might not have gotten otherwise?

It's possible, but probably most of their recruiting impact will be broadly and vicariously through winning.

If these guys can't recruit better than LaRussa and Baer, I will need ECT just to be coherent.

I am sure Tumpkin can recruit. He's mid-40s and African American. No matter the **** someone may say in regards to it, kids and their parents like having a coach that is a good father figure type. Someone in between Jeffcoat and Clark who is a good coach and goody guy is a good fit to help there. Leavitt can say I coached one of the NFLs best LB corps so come here and learn from the best but his job is to make this defense better first and foremost. Tumpkin will have to do both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaRussa is a wash with Tumpkin until otherwise stated. Whatever Tumpkin gains us in Texas is lost because now we don't have a poly recruiter on the staff unless Klayton can handle the extra load.

Leavitt is a DC, so won't be charged with too much actual recruiting. However, his name alone should be good for a bump in recruiting.

So a mild bump in recruiting ability. I think the biggest change will be in our targeting. Leavitt knows what it takes to win at a high level, and won't allow himself or the assistants to mail it in like Baer was. I hope.

[tweet]563409864089948160[/tweet]

FWIW, ESPN's SEC recruiting analyst called Leavitt a great recruiter.

I am interested in the Florida angle as well. Lot of solid talent there that the big boys don't even recruit.

Why not try to find out right away and get one of the best recent NFL LB coaches in the ear of Roquan Smith and see if he can shore up a weakness immediately.

I am interested in the Florida angle as well. Lot of solid talent there that the big boys don't even recruit.

Here's what could get very interesting.

Might MacIntyre be thinking that he can put Leavitt and Tumpkin on Florida recruiting since both have done that in the past?

If so, that would give us:

2 in Florida (Leavitt, Tumpkin)
3 in Texas (Walters, Jeffcoat, Neinas)
3 in California (Adams, Clark, Lindgren)
1 in Arizona (Bernardi)
9 in Colorado (Neinas in lead, but everyone with areas of responsibility)

Also - Adams with Samoa, Hawai'i, Pac Northwest, Utah & mainland Poly recruiting. Walters giving an assist wherever needed, especially CA. Bernardi also doing some work in Nevada & California. Lindgren traveling wherever to find his quarterback. Clark being the "wildcard" guy if MacIntyre needs someone to go to Tennessee, Georgia or wherever.

Leavitt has recruited well in the past. Also helps that he has some credibility with the HS coaches being a former college HC. There is a difference to some of these guys between just another assistant and a guy who has had the top job even if he doesn't now.

To the recruits his NFL experience can make a difference. A high percentage of P5 level recruits have at least a dream of one day playing on Sundays, even though most of them never will. To those guys a coach dropping "When I was coaching for the 49ers" or something similar says this guy knows what it takes to be a pro and can help me get there.

With a small class coming in it is important that the guys we get be quality. Hopefully these guys will help in that regard.

Might MacIntyre be thinking that he can put Leavitt and Tumpkin on Florida recruiting since both have done that in the past?

1 in Arizona (Bernardi)

Also - Adams with Samoa, Hawai'i, Pac Northwest, Utah & mainland Poly recruiting. Walters giving an assist wherever needed, especially CA. Bernardi also doing some work in Nevada & California. Lindgren traveling wherever to find his quarterback. Clark being the "wildcard" guy if MacIntyre needs someone to go to Tennessee, Georgia or wherever.

I feel like CA is a little light here. Especially with one of the 3 being Lindgren. Maybe have Leavitt take a large role in the Bay Area? Also wonder who took over LaRussa's area in SoCal, we already have a bunch of offers out in the IE so far. Someone's doing some work.

1 in Arizona (Bernardi)

Just by the look of it, that is a lot of responsibility on Adams and I know he is one of our best recruiters but that is a lot of work. Hope he would be up to it.

1 in Arizona (Bernardi)

Why assume Tumpkin goes to FLA? He coached at SMU and Houston in the recent past and must have some Tx connections that could work, as well as some connections in the midwest and PA. Then move Neinas over to help Adams with the Poly recruiting. Walters could slide over to FLA and help in the Midwest

I think you take advantage of what you have, but not at the expense of over-extending yourself.

It seems that Cali, Tejass, Colorado, AZ are the primary sources with a few others as secondary (the islands, Utah, WA, etc). Maybe one coach could work Fla, but more than that or committing a lot of time there just doesn't seem justified.

It might also be beneficial to explore Tumkins' connections in the Midwest, but again, I don't think it should be a primary target area.

Why assume Tumpkin goes to FLA? He coached at SMU and Houston in the recent past and must have some Tx connections that could work, as well as some connections in the midwest and PA. Then move Neinas over to help Adams with the Poly recruiting. Walters could slide over to FLA and help in the Midwest

Tumpkin mentioned he had recruiting connections in Florida.

I think you take advantage of what you have, but not at the expense of over-extending yourself.

It seems that Cali, Tejass, Colorado, AZ are the primary sources with a few others as secondary (the islands, Utah, WA, etc). Maybe one coach could work Fla, but more than that or committing a lot of time there just doesn't seem justified.

It might also be beneficial to explore Tumkins' connections in the Midwest, but again, I don't think it should be a primary target area.

Agreed. Seems like Leavitt could leverage connections to find 1-2 FL guys a year, but our bread is buttered in CA, TX, and CO. Sprinkle in some AZ and HI.

I'm sure we'll take a stab at recruiting Florida. But I don't think throwing a lot of energy into it would be the best use of our effort no matter how well known Leavitt and Tumpkin are down their.

I think the short term focus with bringing in these coaches is wins. M2 has to know that CU's recruiting chops with the most recent staff of 9 assistants would have secured better talent if the team had a few more recent wins to advertise. With 13 games on the schedule and 7 wins needed to become bowl eligible he went with experience to help close the talent gap on defense and give us something to sell aside from the facilities, Boulder, academics, and whatever else beyond the game results that we usually invoke as being an irresistible recruiting pitch. The current team needs to intensify and improve long before the class of 2016 official visits to Boulder begin. I think we have the right people in place now to start delivering an on-field product that will be an exciting recruiting tool we've gone so long without in our arsenal.

I'm sure we'll take a stab at recruiting Florida. But I don't think throwing a lot of energy into it would be the best use of our effort no matter how well known Leavitt and Tumpkin are down their.

I wouldn't underestimate FL. JL has an awesome reputation down there and you can throw a rock and hit an unbelievable athlete.

Iowa St used to recruit FL well under DM, guys like the Davis brothers, etc. If guys would go play in freaking Ames I have to believe we could grab a couple a year.

I wouldn't underestimate FL. JL has an awesome reputation down there and you can throw a rock and hit an unbelievable athlete.

Iowa St used to recruit FL well under DM, guys like the Davis brothers, etc. If guys would go play in freaking Ames I have to believe we could grab a couple a year.

Buffs have signed very few players from Florida over the years, but if they could get into Louisiana once upon a time then Florida is definitely worth exploring. Herchell Troutman, Mark Mariscal, and our very own FlaBuff are some of the handful of Florida Men who came here. P5 conferences with teams in the state hit up Florida as do other coaches with connections like Charlie Strong. With the success of coaches like Jim Leavitt, George O'Leary, and Mario Cristobal at smaller programs, do our newly added connections bring value to revisiting the idea of recruiting here? That is not to say we'd immediately be the best option for signing the next Blake Bortles, but if we're already looking at the top two producers of football talent why not use our additions to take a look at the third?

Will be interesting to see how Poly recruiting goes. Walters needs to helping in California on some level as well.

Leavitt and Tumpkin will help most by making us a much better team. Today was a great day. A big Pickme up
concerning just recruiting I think we are light in Southern California. We should have two full ACs there
id like to see
Walters and Clark in so cal
Adams in no cal Utah and islands
Bernardi in Az and some so cal
Tumpkin and Jeffcoat in Tx
Leavitt lbs and some Fl
Tumpkin in Mi some too
Lindgren QBs
Neinas in Co

After a huge boost to the staff is it too much to ask for one more change?
if not I'd swap Neinas for someone with ties to Utah and the Islands and free up Adams to help more in so cal.
Say Ikaika Malloe the dline coach at Utah State with special team experience or Chivarinni at TT and keep him in so cal

Back