What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What matters to 5* recruits?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals just published an excellent survey of 100 5* recruits.

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1379643

Some surprising responses, such as the following:

8. What's the most overrated factor that some recruits consider when they're picking a college?
Winning tradition: 19 votes
Jerseys/uniforms/school colors: 9
Facilities: 7

Where is the "Money" option for most important factor?

67% thought they should get a stipend on top of their scholarship.

Not addressed, but some certainly find ways to get that now.

Apparently 100% of 5 stars lie to themselves about what matters; otherwise, some of them would choose, say, Vanderbilt over Alabama. Also, the school may have good academics (North Carolina), but that may not help when you are directed to classes that don't have any instruction (also see North Carolina).

buffwings says #1 above PT, lifestyle, and academics

Lifestyle is hard to quantify. If you love the mountains and camping/hiking/skiing and assorted activities, along with a healthy population, then Boulder is phenomenal (even though it's very white and very affluent).

But lifestyle on an SEC campus as a 5* recruit is probably pretty damn awesome. Look at how DS was treated when he arrived on campus. At an SEC school you may be one of 5 other 5* player there, but I would imagine it's pretty sweet and you are treated like a rock star. Different strokes for different folks, but I could see how that'd be awesome as well.

Lifestyle is hard to quantify. If you love the mountains and camping/hiking/skiing and assorted activities, along with a healthy population, then Boulder is phenomenal (even though it's very white and very affluent).

But lifestyle on an SEC campus as a 5* recruit is probably pretty damn awesome. Look at how DS was treated when he arrived on campus. At an SEC school you may be one of 5 other 5* player there, but I would imagine it's pretty sweet and you are treated like a rock star. Different strokes for different folks, but I could see how that'd be awesome as well.

I'd think that campus life would be pretty damn allsome for a 5* no matter where you went.

6. Who means more when you're making your college decision - a school's head coach or your potential position coach?
Position coach: 79 percent
Head coach: 21 percent

Position coaches are kinda important in recruiting.

He'll, even some 3stars don't want to come here due to our undersized scoreboards. Just ask Dan Skipper.:rolling_eyes:

Like a freaking OL is going to get big time on the jumbotron. Never seen that in my 35 years of watching football. I see the eyeroll, but if he actually made that statement, I feel for today's youth. Millenials...wasted generation.

Like a freaking OL is going to get big time on the jumbotron. Never seen that in my 35 years of watching football. I see the eyeroll, but if he actually made that statement, I feel for today's youth. Millenials...wasted generation.

OT: Woah there. Same thing was said about the "Greatest Generation" this far into their life spans. It's a little too early to be saying this.

Back on Topic: Interesting article. It sounds like a lot of what we have said rings true with recruits. Maybe we weren't that far off from what we thought.

Interesting article. I'm confused tho. If academics are so important, why do so many go to Florida or Alabama and not Vandy or CU? We have very competitive academics and position coaches. I guess I have to remember they are still kids...maybe saying what they think they should??? If I were an 18 year old 5* stud, I might be swayed by the "unofficial" campus life lived by current players as much as the other factors...

[h=2]What matters to 5* recruits?[/h]
[video=youtube;31xa0CLbcls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31xa0CLbcls[/video]

Interesting article. I'm confused tho. If academics are so important, why do so many go to Florida or Alabama and not Vandy or CU? We have very competitive academics and position coaches. I guess I have to remember they are still kids...maybe saying what they think they should??? If I were an 18 year old 5* stud, I might be swayed by the "unofficial" campus life lived by current players as much as the other factors...

I'm getting tired of every school thinking their school is the "Harvard of the X." CU is a good school, but in comparison with Vandy? Florida is a pretty good school too.

A lot of these 5*s aren't thinking about school name recognition anyway. They go in, even to a place like Stanford, and major in Sociology (joke), Communications (joke) or General Studies (even more of a joke). If they really cared about academics then they probably wouldn't be 5* recruits anyway because they would have been hitting the books instead of hitting the weight room or practice field.

I'm getting tired of every school thinking their school is the "Harvard of the X." CU is a good school, but in comparison with Vandy? Florida is a pretty good school too.

A lot of these 5*s aren't thinking about school name recognition anyway. They go in, even to a place like Stanford, and major in Sociology (joke), Communications (joke) or General Studies (even more of a joke). If they really cared about academics then they probably wouldn't be 5* recruits anyway because they would have been hitting the books instead of hitting the weight room or practice field.

**** you, I was a Socy major

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

And I know you are enjoying a career in Sociology as much as I am mine in American Studies. :wink2:

Dammit! Socy and data analytics are a perfectly logical combination

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

7. WHAT'S THE NO. 1 FACTOR YOU CONSIDER WHEN SELECTING A COLLEGE?
Academics: 30 votes
Overall fit: 23
Relationship with coaches: 17

Um Yeah...

More likely it's 1) Perceived ease in passing classes to remain eligible 2) Cool uniforms and stadium environment 3) chicks seen while touring campus 4) Depth chart 5) getting along with positional coaches and other players 6) ability to get into the NFL from that program 7) Recent success on the field coupled with t.v. coverage of that program's success. They may not necessarily be in that order but I would guess that all boils down to these factors.

There are exceptions for sure - some kids just like the school and the coaches or they want to stay close to home or get away from it-but we're talking about 17 and 18 year old kids here who have received nothing but adulation in their high school years because they were really good football players.

Last edited:

Wow. That's an exact quote of mine. Yes, I said CU is the Harvard of the West.

My point, which stands, is CU is a good academic school and has great NFL caliber coaches. As good as Vandy? Probably not, but better than Alabama. If those are 2 of the top items, why don't we get more?

Part of me thinks that these recruits where saying what people
want them to say. For example last year there was a running
back named Kendal Marshall. He had a 4.2 GPA and went to
Georgia over the likes of schools like Stanford.

Sometimes when a recruit says "academic reputation" it is code for "that school could graduate a ham sandwich and mom really wants me to get a degree".

Back