What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What should we do with Cabral

What should be Cabral's future w/ CU

• Fire him along with GB by season's end

Votes: 49 54.4%
  • Keep him as a LB coach

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Promote him as interim DC and can GB now!

Votes: 26 28.9%

• Total voters
Not sure if Cabral should receive as much criticism as he deserves. At times it appears GB has taken over LB coaching- I saw him coaching or rather, yelling at Jon Major on the sidelines yesterday.

I'm not sure I understand what that means.

Do you mean that he deserves a lot of criticism but we should go a bit easy out of respect?

I'm not sure I understand what that means.

Do you mean that he deserves a lot of criticism but we should go a bit easy out of respect?

My mistake. Should have read that maybe he does not deserve this much criticism- not out of respect but possibly GB imposing too much of his ****** defensive schemes onto the LB department. Like I already mentioned, I saw GB yelling at Jon Major (right after a zona TD) in the sidelines during the game.

There comes a time when even the greats at a program need to be replaced. Cabral ought to be told quietly now so he can go find a new place to be and leave with grace. While the meeting with Cabral is going on they ought to call the media, send security to Brown's office to put all his **** in garbage sacks and throw it out the second story windows of Dal Ward in front of the cameras.

Who are the 9 guys who want to keep this guy around as the LB coach. My God, are you watching the games at all?

Who are the 9 guys who want to keep this guy around as the LB coach. My God, are you watching the games at all?

Well I went even worse on the scale because I am one of the 13 who said we should promote him to DC on an interim basis. LIke some of the others I am convinced that an important % of poor linebacker play is poor DC and HC management of the Defense. Also not sure if the line is doing everything they should to free up the LBs.

Also not sure if the whole Defense like Nick has suggested has given up on Embree and are just not playing with fire.

I am totally open to him being canned at the end of the season if a new DC and preferably a new HC comes in (doubt the latter but believe the former is imminent). But I could see a reasonable argument for canning GB yesterday and promoting Cabral to interim DC probably through 2013 if Embree is not going.

It would be hard to recruit a DC for 1 year only knowing the HC is probably gone. And Cabral has been a loyal and mostly strong servant for the Buffs for a long time.

boyd, these guys need to be all gone. Who cares about the next 2 games. we are going to lose anyway.

boyd, these guys need to be all gone. Who cares about the next 2 games. we are going to lose anyway.
The thing is it is hard to find an ABer who disagrees that they all need to go starting with JE. The problem is most ABers, myself included, have almost resigned themselves to the fact that the no matter how much Bohn would like to can JE he may not be able to this year.

If that is the case, how do we salvage anything while keeping an eye on the future?

I agree, we need to clean house but it's all a pipedream. Maybe one or two get fired at most. The school's admin could care less. Not much will change until BDB are gone.

Not a fan of the poll options. Needs more fire Cabral along with everyone else. Love Cabral for what he has done and meant to this school, but he has to go.

This vote may actually demonstrate the level of complete idiocy of people here. Fire Cabral...... REALLY? He has only produced the best CU units consistently since the 90's. He has only recruited pretty much every all american LB we have had (PS that is a **** load of them). He is a buff through and through and he has stuck around despite the hell going on in Boulder for almost a decade. How exactly is this BC's fault? Name the best players on defense today? Jon Major? Rippy? Webb?..... OH WAIT he coaches all three! Care to look at his past work? How about things like his students have included Matt Russell, the 1996 Butkus Award winner, all-Big Eight performers Greg Biekert, Chad Brown and Ted Johnson, all of whom went on to stardom in the National Football League, and all-Big 12 linebacker Jordon Dizon, a consensus All-American who was also the league defensive player of the year for 2007. He also recruited tailback Rashaan Salaam, the 1994 Heisman trophy winner, and Chris Naeole, a 1996 All-American guard. He also coached guys like Jashon Sykes, Thaddeus Washington and Sean Tufts just to name a few more NFL caliber players he developed. The def sucks this year but how is the system, lack of DL and secondary out of place all the time reflect badly on BC? Anyone who says to fire him needs to take a step back and actually use your head to see what this man consistently brings to the program. BC should be essentially untouchable in my opinion! He is an awesome recruiter, best coach CU has had in decades and a hell of an upstanding guy. Got a news flash folks.... we are not alabama or LSU and replacing an all star coach doesn't happen easily. If he is fired I'd love to talk to you all in 3 years when we no longer recruit Hawaii, have piss linebackers and no coach with any sense of pride or heritage in this program. There is no one better to coach LB at CU. I mean even having this god awful year with the worst D in the country I am guessing we still send 2/3 of our linebackers to the NFL (Will end up did not say drafted)..... So clearly still doing something right in this area.

Brian Cabral used to be good

fify. We have like 2 players from Hawaii on the entire roster and neither were highly recruited or get solid PT (Tuumalo, Crabb). We don't care about Brian Cabral of 1995. We care about Cabral of 2012, and the returns aren't good.

fify. We have like 2 players from Hawaii on the entire roster and neither were highly recruited or get solid PT (Tuumalo, Crabb). We don't care about Brian Cabral of 1995. We care about Cabral of 2012, and the returns aren't good.

Juda Parker is also from there, but certainly not highly recruited or regarded.

The LBs have been the biggest disappointment this year. Major is constantly out of position and after his injury he's slow as molasses. Webb and Rippy aren't performing up to the level we'd expect. We have little to no depth at LB and it'll be a while until this changes. Cabral is one of the best position coaches ever, so I hope he starts looking for new opportunities elsewhere. He deserves better, but it is what it is. If my company president set my company on a track to fail then everyone will get laid off/fired.

I would normally say wait until the season to clean house, but there are clearly some assistants who know right now that they're going to be fired and have stopped coaching and (we can presume) have stopped recruiting. Promote BC to DC and see if the D responds in the last two games. It will be an interview, of sorts, for staying on the staff next season. BC really got guys (who had completely checked out) to suddenly give a crap at the end of the 2010 season. If he shows that he's capable of doing that again, that may qualify him to remain on the staff. Resisting urge to blast our LBs right now.

Wait, wait. Major, Rippy, and Webb are the best players on defense and two of the three will be drafted? :lol: actually, :rofl:

Is it safe to say Embree and Cabral aren't friendly?

It's safe to say Embree was fine with Cabral operating in the background as a position coach when he took over. I think they get along well enough, but Cabral is more likely to be fired than promoted.

It's safe to say Embree was fine with Cabral operating in the background as a position coach when he took over. I think they get along well enough, but Cabral is more likely to be fired than promoted.

My question wasn't the best. It was clear to all that Cabral wanted the position of head coach, after serving as the interim coach back in 2009.

I have always wondered if there is a degree of friction between Embree and Cabral, since both wanted the job. It always made the most sense to me that Cabral be promoted to the DC position when Embree got the job. After all, he had the strongest ties to the program at the time.

It is a shame that Cabral might get fired over the state of the Buffs. If I was able to choose between the two I would take Cabral 10 out of 10 times.

I still hold out hope that Cabral will find his way to another big time (BCS) program where he can find success (and hopefully promotion).

Cabral won't be fired, at least publicly. They'll come out saying he left on his own terms

I got what you meant Slade. I am not sure it is friction as much strong disappointment from Cabral. I think a fresh start would do him a lot of good. Slider's read on the situation is likely correct.

I would like to see him move to DC for the next two games. Could the defense respond to him in only two weeks. Don't know but would like to see it. But with the problem with the linebackers this year, I don't see Embree making the move.

What has to be really hard for Cabral is, week-in, week-out, realizing that you really could have done a much better job than the clowns who are running the show right now... Yeah, I would leave on my own terms - especially if it became very clear nothing was changing.

Sometimes you just run out of time in a certain place. College football is becoming a lot more like the pros. People don't stay anywhere for very long because attention spans and timeline to produce wins are short. Cabral has been an unbelievable Buff. Embo, EB, GB, etc. have also done some great things for us. However, their runs are over. As sad as I am to say it, we are in a results business and we are getting absolutely boat raced. I wanted Embo to succeed here so badly. I wanted to give him time to get his guys playing time. But, we are losers. We can't it done on game day, so, with a heavy heart, we have to give a rousing farewell to people who love the sh1t out of the University of Colorado.

I look at guys like Kevin Sumlin and Brady Hoke who stepped up from smaller conferences and took talent that was being underutilized. They've produced immediately -- even with implementing brand new systems and much tougher conferences than their previous coaching stints. Yes, their players are better than ours. But, they took teams who were very recently 5-7 game winners and have them on pace for 8-10 wins.

We can only hope for that kind of a home run.

Last edited:
Wait, wait. Major, Rippy, and Webb are the best players on defense and two of the three will be drafted? :lol: actually, :rofl:

I spit up my drink reading that too. We have NFL players on this roster yet we are giving up over 47 points a game. Hilarious.

Pretty sure my exact quote said will end up in the NFL (NOT saying drafted).... IE picked up after the draft possibly. And yes I whole heartily agree that there is a very strong chance Rippy and Major or Webb will get their shots.

Back