What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What the hell?

BuffThat

From footballscoop.com

UCLA: Rick Neuheisel is scheduled to be interviewed by UCLA Chancellor Gene Block for the Bruins' head coach job tonight, sources familiar with the search said. Coach Hawkins interviewed with UCLA on Monday. He is very interested in the job and UCLA is going to be able to meet his salary requirements

I don't even like to hear rumors like that, but just last week that site posted this:
"Michigan: Getting closer to naming Brian Kelly HC" and from every single thing I've read/heard, Brian Kelly was never even considered by the UM AD (which frustrated a lot of Michigan fans).

I think, somehow, they got Neuhisel confused with Hawk. I don't know how that could happen, but I'd bet thats it.

I heard this rumor on HI.com and wandered over here to see if it holds any water. What's the verdict?

I think it is baloney. It comes from footballscoop.com, probably the least reliable coaching carousel source. Virtually everyone else is reporting Neuheisel as the frontrunner. IMO, they got the former and current CU coaches confused.

It's a typo, there is NOTHING else at all about anything of the sort on the 'net, and something like that wouldn't be this quiet. footballscoop.com even lists Hawkins as 'no scoop'. If there was anything going on that'd be flagged.

Plus, I really don't see LA as Hawk's kind of place. He's from northern Cali. If he ever bolts CU (which wont be anytime soon) it'd be for Cal or something in that area.

Is there another Coach Hawkins that may be on staff elsewhere? They didn't even use his first name which leads me to believe they aren't ever referring to Hawk.

Is there another Coach Hawkins that may be on staff elsewhere? They didn't even use his first name which leads me to believe they aren't ever referring to Hawk.

They are looking at Chris Peterson, so maybe they talked to Hawk about Peterson, but that's as close a it would get.

Relax on this footballpoop.com, the moderator there had Barnett for certain

taking the Baylor job. He said he's already on his way.

Let's look at the coaching career of Mr. Rick Neuhisel for a moment...

1993- named QB coach at U of Colorado. Has Kordell Stewart and Koy Detmer to coach. Basically, a complete idot could coach those two.

1995 - based on his stellar success with Kordell and Koy, he's named head coach at the University of Colorado. He goes 10-2 his first two years, culminating in a pre-season #1 ranking in 1997. Ooops, they go 5-6 in 1997. Followed by a rather uninspiring 8-4 in 1998. In spite of the drop, there's no talk of replacing him, but he decides to go to the University of Washington because it's one of the "haves" of college football.

1999-2003 - U of Washington. He starts out like a ball of fire at his new home, going to the Rose Bowl his first season. But things soon start to decline. By the end of his tenure, his defenses are one of the worst in the country and his offenses can't run the ball to save their lives. He's fired after winning an NCAA basketball pool. He gets a freaking HUGE settlement out of the school because unlike most folks, he keeps e-mails from, like 10 years ago. :confused:

2004-2007 - QB coach for the NFL Baltimore Ravens, who over that time period have had some of the worst offensive production of any NFL team.

OK so somebody tell me exactly why Slick is getting serious consideration for a coaching job at any level again?

To Neuheisel's credit, he did work wonders with Kordell Stewart. The offense we ran in 1993 (pre-Neuheisel) and the offense we ran in 1994 (Neuheisel) were very different, and Stewart was a much better passer in 1994.

And- I don't think Washington went to the Rose Bowl until his 2nd or 3rd years. Washington lost their first 3 games of 1999, if I recall -- they got their first win of the season against the Buffs.

Yeah if you are going to take credit away from him for Koy and Kordel you can't blame him for Father time and Kyle boller sucking.

Yeah if you are going to take credit away from him for Koy and Kordel you can't blame him for Father time and Kyle boller sucking.

I have a hard time blaming Neu for Boller. Billick has not really made much of an investment in the offense other than aquiring McGahee's services. Derrick Mason is their only WR and he gets mauled most of the time since hes the only legitimate target. Heap has missed a lot of games this year and the offense seems to be built around the TE short passing game and run. Billick should be fired and probably soon. Jebus Christo this is the same team that drafted and cut current Clevland star Derek Anderson.

Don't forget Neu's original work with Aikman.

I hope Neu learned something from his experiences and does a better job this time around.

Earlier today (Wednesday, Dec. 19), one of those football coaching hire gossip sites published the below (I won’t identify the site, do not want to give it any credibility since it’s all anonymous):

“Cincinnati- Bearcats coach Brian Kelly agreed to terms on a new five-year contract UCLA: Rick Neuheisel is scheduled to be interviewed by UCLA Chancellor Gene Block for the Bruins' head coach job tonight, sources familiar with the search said. Coach Hawkins interviewed with UCLA on Monday. He is very interested in the job and UCLA is going to be able to meet his salary requirements”

(This is how it was published; the UCLA paragraph ran into the tail-end of the Cincinnati note.)

We have had numerous inquiries from fans, and this erroneous one line mention has already reached into the recruiting world. And it says only “Coach Hawkins” without mentioning a first name, but in some circles, it is taking on a life of its own.

Either it was innocent in that whoever entered it typed Rick’s name and subconsciously was thinking of Colorado, or it was on purpose in an attempt to throw a monkey wrench into our recruiting.

Regardless, two contacts were made with this website to change it, and no reply or change was forthcoming. We had legal representation contact this site at the request of Athletic Director Mike Bohn to have it changed this afternoon.

Mike, Dan and I assure you that what is claimed in the above highlighted text in regards to “Coach Hawkins” could not be further from the truth. It is our hope that it is righted by the website and that the media does not pursue this as any kind of story, as there is none to pursue. That may only help serve to accomplish what the author intended. We wanted to address it on our website since the question has come up in recruiting.

Anonymity is the cloak of cowardice someone once said; websites such as this one also gives people freedom to make things up to damage others. That is sad.

David Plati

Associate AD/Sports Information

I was just about to post the link to cubuffs.com for the official denial of this UCLA business. I'm glad it made it here and I very glad that there was no substance to these rumors. Thanks to the athletic department for quashing it so quickly. This type of stuff can be cancerous and I'm glad it got killed.

Good to see Dave "red zone" Plati come out guns a blazing. I like the mention of the legal team and the insinuation this may be mischief tied to recruiting.

Hey, is Eric Bienemy still the RB coach at UCLA?

So should we be considering it a compliment that there are people trying to potentially throw a monkey wrench into our recruiting?

The fact that the author didn't use Hawk's first name indicated to me that it wasn't our Hawk. Amazing what people will do.

Nice job by the AD.

Back