What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What to expect from Sefo Liufau?

If Sefo wasn't hurt, would our outlook on the season be different?

In the alternate universe where Webb never signed the financial agreement with CU and just went to Cal instead, would we be this pessimistic about the upcoming season? With a Senior quarterback, a bunch of incoming talent at the offensive skill positions, and the return of guys like Gillam and Tupou?

Yes, we would be this pessimistic. Sefo has far to many issues in his decision making and delivery. His statistics, lack of understanding defenses and record prove just that. That does not make those on here doubters or haters. Sefo has not been a good QB at CU. He is coming off of two injuries, one which is very difficult to judge his ability to play week to week. Even if he was healthy, his poor play and judgements remain - that has been consistent for 3 years. I agree with BuffNik, this years overall team is better, unfortunately the three QB options are a sparingly used option QB, a redshirt Freshman or an injured senior who has made poor decisions his entire college career under center. Isn't that the reason so many were upset when Webb pivoted for Cal, everyone understands the QB limitations at CU. So many "IF" and "hope" based scenario's. That is scary.

Last edited:
Yes, we would be this pessimistic. Sefo has far to many issues in his decision making and delivery. His statistics, lack of understanding defenses and record prove just that. That does not make those on here doubters or haters. Sefo has not been a good QB at CU. He is coming off of two injuries, one which is very difficult to judge his ability to play week to week. Even if he was healthy, his poor play and judgements remain - that has been consistent for 3 years. I agree with BuffNik, this years overall team is better, unfortunately the three QB options are a sparingly used option QB, a redshirt Freshman or an injured senior who has made poor decisions his entire college career under center. Isn't that the reason so many were upset when Webb pivoted for Cal, everyone understands the QB limitations at CU. So many "IF" and "hope" based scenario's. That is scary.

5,557 yards, 61.4% comp., 7.4 YPA, 46 TDs, 22 INTs
10 yards rushing, 3 TDs

7,397 yards, 62.9% comp., 6.8 YPA, 49 TDs, 29 INTs
445 yards rushing, 5 TDs

Webb wasn't a significant upgrade. He helped depth issues and uncertainty around Sefo's health.

Speaking of OL, when is the last time that OL for CU wasn't a tire fire? 10 years? Am I forgetting some hidden-gem units in the haze of awful QB and RB play?

Sefo's issues are trouble throwing to the left side of the field, not a good deep passer and slow through his progressions. Defenses know that and take away what he is good at. Last year it was obvious to me the QB coaching really messed him up...he held the ball longer and made him even slower through his progressions. This resulted in increased hits and more turnovers...they made him more indecisive in stead of getting quicker reads.

Sefo's positives are good QB size, good accuracy on short and mid-range passes, throws a very catchable ball, and has good feet in the pocket which allows him to keep the play alive.

Sefo's issues are trouble throwing to the left side of the field, not a good deep passer and slow through his progressions. Defenses know that and take away what he is good at. Last year it was obvious to me the QB coaching really messed him up...he held the ball longer and made him even slower through his progressions. This resulted in increased hits and more turnovers...they made him more indecisive in stead of getting quicker reads.

Sefo's positives are good QB size, good accuracy on short and mid-range passes, throws a very catchable ball, and has good feet in the pocket which allows him to keep the play alive.

He's also Brady-esque on the QB sneak.

Well if they are gonna use some of Tech's stuff, they will throwing a lot of slants, wheels, etc.. He's not gonna have to read much, quick passes and tempo.

Sefo's biggest issues are the red zone and the 2nd half of the fourth quarter.

Buffnik's right, an improved running game will help the former. It's the latter that I'm worried about.

I really think we'll be five minutes away from winning 8-9 games this year.

I doubt we win more than half of them.

Sefo has the tools and I felt he was close to a breakthrough year last year. I still believe his separated shoulder effected his performance more than we realize. Kudos to him and the staff for not making excuses. The thing with Sefo, for me, is "when will the light come on" with regards to "field awareness." I thought he was getting close last year and I hope that sitting out a while has kind of allowed him to focus on the mental side a bit. Sometimes taking a step back can be a good thing in almost any endeavor.

Well if they are gonna use some of Tech's stuff, they will throwing a lot of slants, wheels, etc.. He's not gonna have to read much, quick passes and tempo.

Sefo has NEVER been able to throw a slant. I have no idea why, but as far as I could tell, it wasn't even in the playbook last year until Apsay came in.

Back