What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Justin M Guerriero

Club Member
Club Member
You shouldn't be that happy with CU's win over Zona.

Last week after Tuesday's practice, I asked coach Mac if he at all used Wazzu's throttling of Zona last week as a gauge of what to expect from his team; would CU's performance vs. Arizona be fair to compare with Washington State's game against the Wildcats as sort of a measurer of the Buffs' overall talent vs. the Cougars'? Mac said no, he doesn't really look at it that way.

Well I do. At least somewhat. I had looked at Wash St's 69-7 beatdown of Arizona as somewhat of an outline of what to expect from CU. To me, the Buffs' 49-24 win was far from satisfying. After the game, Sefo Liufau, Jimmie Gilbert and Shay Fields, Jr. spoke to the media.

It was a pretty lighthearted press conference. Although I will say that the guys admitted that their overall game wasn't perfect, but I did feel like the aftermath was a bit too happy go lucky. And don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of those guys and am happy that they can finally show some happiness after games. They deserve it. But after this particular win, it should have been toned down.

Isaiah Oliver commented last week that the Buffaloes have yet to put together a win that's displayed great offense, great defense and great special teams. The postgame feeling I detected was that the win over Arizona had accomplished that. I think it was no doubt far from it.

Arizona was allowed waaay too many yards on the ground. Both Brandon Dawkins and Samajie Grant constantly had massive holes to run through. I felt that early in the game, the linebackers and DBs were spread out often, which allowed Dawkins to basically tuck and run whenever he chose to do so.

Now I'm clearly not a defensive coordinator and this is somewhat ridiculous citing play calls from Madden, but I woulda liked to have seen some sort of quarterback spy play called. In the past the Buffaloes have struggled against dual threat QBs and given Dawkins' early demonstration of his ability to stretch his legs, I would have liked to see the defense adjust more accordingly.

Phillip Lindsay finished with 119 rushing yards and three TDs on 25 attempts, good for a 4.8 average. However, at halftime, Lindsay was averaging just 2.6 YPC, and had rushed 13 times for 37 yards. After the third quarter, he had a 3.8 YPC average. Now, with the many offensive linemen that CU lost during the contest, that's somewhat understandable, but still, the fact remains that Lindsay was effectively subdued for a decent chunk of the game.

Arizona finished with a 5.0 YPC average on the ground vs. the Buffaloes' defense. That seems like a stat that should belong to the 2014 Buffs' defense.

Shining star was Sefo. Wow were his passes looking great! A few weeks removed from he himself saying that he missed like 9 throws vs The Cardinal, Liufau looked good. The TD passes to JayMac and Fields, Jr. were beautiful, and he did a good job of hitting his targets all night. The tipped INT was an unfortunate blemish on his stat line.

On a separate note though, Brandon Dawkins took some savage hits in that game. Gillam got him good as he released the ball and Gilbert laid him tf out on a sack. Ivan from the Daily Wildcat (the kid who did Frat w/ the Enemy) said that Dawkins is known for consistently taking RG3-esque hits. Dangerous game you're playing, Brandon, but I respect that, nonetheless.

A few closing positive notes, CU averaged 5.9 yards per play on 1st down and converted 7-of-14 3rd downs. Don't quite know how Arizona outgained the Buffaloes in total yardage, given the score, but life is full of mysteries.

I got back into Boulder a bit ago after driving through the night right after the game ended last night. I'm gonna take a quick cat nap and then I have postgame quotes I'll put up.

The last few weeks are gonna be some of the most exciting for Boulder, the team, and students/fans.

P.S. -- Don't sweat it that College Gameday isn't coming to town this Saturday. I'd rather have them potentially come in two weeks when we host Utah, in a game that could determine the Pac-12 South winner.

I love that we're to the point where we dissect wins and are finding new stuff to worry about every week. So much better than the previous years and the work we put into redefining the art of the moral victory.

I could also compare washinton state's wins over asu and oregon st vs CU.

And if you look at the 2 games when our defense struggled a bit in Pac-12 play it was with the speed running game teams: Oregon and Arizona. That is not WSU's offense. I don't know that we've faced an offense like their's considering we missed Cal this year. But we certainly have coaches that understand very well what WSU is going to try to do and the types of things that frustrate that offense the most.

I could also compare washinton state's wins over asu and oregon st vs CU.
Wazzu could then point to their performances against Oregon and Stanford.

It's going to be a tough game, but I feel like we SHOULD win.

Personally I think it is great that they were light hearted and happy after the win. When a team goes from a bottom dweller to a winner, there is a fundamental shift in attitude which you can clearly see. At the beginning of the year every win was a celebration, because they hadn't won in so long. About midway through the season that started to change because suddenly they were expected to win. I think there have been some growing pains making that change, and they have played kind of tight. It is good that they get back to enjoying themselves and savoring a win no matter how sloppy. In addition I think the coaches started getting more conservative in the game plan, seemingly playing "not to lose" rather than playing to win. Wazzou had a much larger margin of victory over Arizona because they didn't back down. CU started backing down near the end of the 3rd quarter, as if coach Mac was trying to be nice and not run up the score. I would have understood better putting Montez and other backups in at that point to give the starters a break, but keep attacking rather than going into hold on to the lead mode. Attacking relentlessly is Colorado football, and when they get away from that bad #@### happens.

I don't see how you could not be happy with a 25 point win on the road in this conference. We beat Oregon State by 41 at home, they've taken Utah/Wazzu to the ropes in Corvallis and you could look at plenty of other instances like this for or against any team. That doesn't make us a better team, it means conference road games are tough. Road conference games have been a struggle for everyone, you take your win and go home and don't bring it up again.

Also we're not getting Gameday for Utah over The Game, I'm not really sure why people keep bringing this up.

I don't see how you could not be happy with a 25 point win on the road in this conference. We beat Oregon State by 41 at home, they've taken Utah/Wazzu to the ropes in Corvallis and you could look at plenty of other instances like this for or against any team. That doesn't make us a better team, it means conference road games are tough. Road conference games have been a struggle for everyone, you take your win and go home and don't bring it up again.

Also we're not getting Gameday for Utah over The Game, I'm not really sure why people keep bringing this up.
Does Gameday always go to Mich/OSU?

Just curious, of course it makes the most sense this year, if the criteria is highest ranked game. But that wasn't the criteria this coming Saturday.
I just don't see them doing something like that A) again and B) the last week of the season when there are so many good rivalry games/games with conference/playoff implications.

That being said, it definitely helps us that Ohio State will likely not control their own destiny in their division but we likely need them both to lose this week in order to even have a chance.

You always lean towards the team with the better defense. Colorado has the better defense and is home.

Back