What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What would it take for us to hire a pie-in-the-sky candidate like....

Sportsfan101

Jon Gruden? Is there any chance in hell he'd come to CU if we (ok, Jack Vickers) offered SERIOUS ($4m?) cash? I know he's from Ohio/Indiana, but he'd have our recruiting going gangbusters in no time and can actually, like, you know, coach.

I know there's probably no chance in hell, but I can dream, right? :smile2:

No chance in hell or anywhere else with Gruden. He is holding out for something in the NFL.

Not sure I want Gruden, even if he'd take the job. NFL guys are not necessarily the sure fire path to success that a lot of people think they are.

No chance in hell or anywhere else with Gruden. He is holding out for something in the NFL.

I don't understand why guys would want to coach in the NFL versus college. In college, the work hours are WAY better, the $$$ is just as good and can be better, you can work on the golf game for 1/3 of the season, not nearly as much pressure as in the NFL, do more with Xs and Os (all NFL teams run the exact same plays), etc. If I were in his shoes, I'd rather coach in college.

But I know you're right that he's probably holding out for an NFL job.

Not sure I want Gruden, even if he'd take the job. NFL guys are not necessarily the sure fire path to success that a lot of people think they are.

I agree that not all NFL coaches are cut out for the college game (cough Mike Sherman cough), but Gruden seems tailor-made for college -- young, fiery, dynamic.

I don't understand why guys would want to coach in the NFL versus college. In college, the work hours are WAY better, the $$$ is just as good and can be better, you can work on the golf game for 1/3 of the season, not nearly as much pressure as in the NFL, do more with Xs and Os (all NFL teams run the exact same plays), etc. If I were in his shoes, I'd rather coach in college.

But I know you're right that he's probably holding out for an NFL job.

Many coaches don't like the whole recruiting aspect of college.

That makes sense. Although I imagine the NFL off-season free-agency period is looking more and more like college recruiting.

In the NFL, it's all about the $$$. You have to be far more creative in college recruiting.

Gruden has a really high profile gig on MNF, which would be a HUGE asset.

OK, I must stop. I'm getting excited thinking about Gruden on the sidelines and know that there is no chance in hell.

I'm hearing it's LSU for Gruden if they get rid of Miles, or so is the word in SEC country. Apparently he has met with boosters from the school a couple of times this season

You watched any of their games? I'd be embarrassed to be ranked if I were a LSU fan. I think just about 3/4 of the fan base has now turned against Les.

...Oh yeah. And they're 7-0.

who cares, it's all about the wins. If they keep winning, they wont fire him, I don't care how upset the fanbase is, thats just retarded.

who cares, it's all about the wins. If they keep winning, they wont fire him, I don't care how upset the fanbase is, thats just retarded.
You watch any of the games? The team is terrible. Les has almost single handedly blown two games for them. The only thing saving them is their defense. Their lucky to play a soft schedule so far. Auburn is going to crucify them.

You watch any of the games? The team is terrible. Les has almost single handedly blown two games for them. The only thing saving them is their defense. Their lucky to play a soft schedule so far. Auburn is going to crucify them.

Your right, they have a good D. Seems like they always do. Their offense is worse than ours by far.

Yes I have and I don't disagree with you. But they WILL NOT fire him if he continues to win. Now, get a loss in there, and we'll talk, but as for right now he is undefeated. Sorry aint happen if he keeps winning, or they would have just canned him last year.

Yes I have and I don't disagree with you. But they WILL NOT fire him if he continues to win. Now, get a loss in there, and we'll talk, but as for right now he is undefeated. Sorry aint happen if he keeps winning, or they would have just canned him last year.
Don't worry. His luck has ran out. He's going to get run out of BR.

Been lurking on here for a while, figured the time has come to chime in.

My pie in the sky candidate is Jim Harbaugh, best coach in the country imo. If we were gonna pay someone $4 million/yr, he is the choice.

Alas, I can only dream.

What if Pete Carroll deiceds he doesn't like the pros (again) and wants back into a college HC job.

What kind of $$ would it take to land Petie?
Can CU muster thank kind of $$?

I know this scenario has a 0% chance of happening so don't waste any key strokes explaining why Pete is not leaving the seahawks. I don't care.

What I'm really interested in is what people think CU could put together $$ wise if a dream coach came along. What is our upper limit? How great a coach could we afford?

I don't want that d-bag cheater Pete Carroll. Have some respect for your university man!

In terms of money for a big time coach, it is not just coming up with said money (which wouldn't be easy). That coach may having difficulty getting his highly paid assistants to come with more limited money for assistants and one year contracts (except OC). Coaches that want the extremely well paying college jobs, also want everything else with it.

You watched any of their games? I'd be embarrassed to be ranked if I were a LSU fan. I think just about 3/4 of the fan base has now turned against Les.

...Oh yeah. And they're 7-0.
One day you are going to post something that actually makes some sense. Did you know he is one of the 4 most successful coaches in college football the last 5 years? He's 58 - 15 since he has been at LSU. Are you going to tell me you wouldn't want that record at CU or any other program? Soft schedule - you are an idiot.

Last edited:
Back