What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's behind the recruiting turn around?

What has made a bigger difference in recruiting?

• Completing new facilities

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Coaching changes

Votes: 56 60.2%
  • Wins

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

skibum

Thou shalt not groom Mary Jane
Club Member
Curious what people think is more important. There was a very vocal contingent that said recruiting could be turned around with the right assistant coaches, others said it would take off with new facilities, and still others said it would take winning some games.

On the assistant coach theory: there was a noticeable tick up in recruiting with the addition of Leavitt and Tumpkin, before the facilities were completed, and then it exploded with the addition of Chev to the staff (and I will throw some credit to Hagen getting back out there on the recertuiting trail).

But that explosion also coincided with facility completion.

Finally, some Debbie Downers are going to say it will all fall apart if we don't win X number of games this year.

My sincere hope is that we do win enough games to be bowl eligible, and everyone can congratulate themselves for being right.

But I still think the most part of the puzzle is having the right recruiters on the staff.

I think the combination of nationally recognized facilities and an up and coming stud recruiter are the keys here. I was one who thought the recruiting wouldn't bounce back without wins and I was wrong. HCMM hit the jackpot with Tumpkin, Leavitt, and then Chiaverini.

Chev as recruiting coordinator is bringing the best out of Klayton Adams and even seems to be helping Lindgren and Jeffcoat.

Win games this fall and this could really go into overdrive.

you forgot ****balier and I like polls as possible responses, but I chose coaching changes

All pieces to the puzzle, man. No recruit wants to lose for 4 years. Everyone wants to be part of something special. So, showing that things are improving on the field and making unprecedented investment in the program makes the words "The Rise" meaningful. There is substance behind it that makes it a movement instead of an empty slogan.

All pieces to the puzzle, man. No recruit wants to lose for 4 years. Everyone wants to be part of something special. So, showing that things are improving on the field and making unprecedented investment in the program makes the words "The Rise" meaningful. There is substance behind it that makes it a movement instead of an empty slogan.
Hey man RTD, amirite?

Unicorns not an option?

Honestly, the completion of the facilities and the enthusiasm and fire that Chev brings a recruiting coordinator.

New recruits have lauded the new facilities, but they identify with the coaches. I think more than anything it is the addition of Leavitt, Tumpkin and Chev that are getting recruiting back to where it needs to be.

To me where winning comes in is holding on to recruits and fueling the momentum. We get to a bowl and notch some big wins or upsets next year and watch us fly (Rumble)

Facilities are probably having the most influence TODAY, but I credit Leavitt with the turn-around. I think he's come in and shown Mac that 1) Recruiting is important 2) That it can be done at CU. I think his emphasis and enthusiasm for it has bled to the rest of the staff, and that the AD and the staff understands it now. The facilities just give them the ammo to make it all happen

Yeah, just like every brick in the foundation is important, but the cornerstone is the most important, one piece is more important than the others.

We can't sing koombaya, hold hands and say we're all right. Some of us are more right than others. (y)

Yeah, just like every brick in the foundation is important, but the cornerstone is the most important, one piece is more important than the others.

We can't sing koombaya, hold hands and say we're all right. Some of us are more right than others. (y)

You trying to tell a Boulderite he can't have a drum circle? :love:

The Greatness of The Buffs cannot be permanently held back. It shines through the darkness and the light grows and grows until we are ultimately on top of the pyramid again.

This is the past, the present, and the future. The badness was a historical anomaly; a mere blip. the Greatness of The Buffs overcomes these hurdles.

God loves the Black and Gold. The rebirthing is underway, my friends. We have wandered the barren desert historically populated by the bailers and washington states of the world. We have learned from this test. We are ready to retake our rightful place in the pantheon of powers.

Watch in amazement as this builds to a frenzy of goodness.

Sooner than we may think, this conference will be ours. Muhahahahaha!

Go Buffs.

The Greatness of The Buffs cannot be permanently held back. It shines through the darkness and the light grows and grows until we are ultimately on top of the pyramid again.

This is the past, the present, and the future. The badness was a historical anomaly; a mere blip. the Greatness of The Buffs overcomes these hurdles.

God loves the Black and Gold. The rebirthing is underway, my friends. We have wandered the barren desert historically populated by the bailers and washington states of the world. We have learned from this test. We are ready to retake our rightful place in the pantheon of powers.

Watch in amazement as this builds to a frenzy of goodness.

Sooner than we may think, this conference will be ours. Muhahahahaha!

Go Buffs.
I'll have what he's having!

I'll have what he's having!

I am drunk on the kool-aid of optimism, friend. Or, possibly the very tasty whiskey sours I consumed at lunch with my healthy socially responsible salad. I am now prepared to be thrilled and amazed by the turnaround that may very well start as early as this Fall.

I think the biggest challenge for the coaching staff this year is to deal with the pressure to have a winning season. It's going to be immense. To keep the fans coming to the games. To keep the coaching staff employed. To keep the highly ranked recruiting class together. My concern with Sefo is that I'm not sure how he'll handle that. He's played tight more often than not, when the pressure was ratcheted up a notch. I'm hopeful that he can build some confidence early in the season and ride that momentum to some big conference wins.

I'll believe recruiting is truly been turned around when all these boys sign in February. There's a lot that can happen between now and then.

Think I'm just going to bask in the moment and I'm ready for another verbal tonight - I'm addicted.

We are crossing back over into greatness. If you do the rivals team rankings by average star rating, we are now in the top 20.

Now is the time for all good recruits to come to the aid of their Buffaloes. GO BUFFS!

Didn't a bunch of drill sergeants get in trouble for being behind the "recruiting turnaround" just last year?

Well, it sure as hell isn't wins. Coaching changes and the different approach chiv and JL have brought have been huge. Those facilities are incredible.

I think it is new facilities. The fact that CU has put a ton of money up and has just completed competitive facilities really makes the recruits feel that the University is going to do whatever it takes to start winning. If the wins don't come in the next two or three years then the effect will wear off.

A coherent recruiting strategy helps immensely. There seems to be an actual emphasis on certain states like Texas which most certainly was not there when MacIntyre was hired.

It's the extra time to identfy future playmakers and the staff we now have to do that work. 2013-14 was tough because it was a group who were previously making inroads with WAC-level players. Now Mac adds the energy guys who have recruited at higher levels more recently and they are instrumental in getting the coveted players to see the campus. Once they're here it's much easier to sell to them.

Having some wins this fall to sell them on us even more would be a very sweet icing indeed.

Back