What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's behind the recruiting turn around?

What has made a bigger difference in recruiting?

• Completing new facilities

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Coaching changes

Votes: 56 60.2%
  • Wins

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
It is pretty obvious to me that the attitude and philosophy of the assistant coaches have had the biggest impact with Chiaverini as recruiting coordinator totally changing the approach to recruiting. Facilities help but selling the recruits on the CU football program was not happening before.

?!?! I had always thought it was HCMM's loyalty to his assistants and never thought of this angle. Are you just shooting from the hip/thinking out loud, or are there rumors with legitimate smoke to this statement? If so, **** Bohn even more than I already dislike him...
It is Internet board speculation that has been repeated enough that it is becoming fact. It actually did not happen. Bohn had actually gone to CU administration(and subsequently donors) with a proposal to fire Embree and increase the salary for the Head Coach and to increase the salary pool for assistant coaches with the promise that CU would have P5 level coaches. When Bohn did not deliver on his promise it led him to be fired, there was no stipulation the assistants be brought in with MacIntyre.

I remember a quote from someone about getting his assistants. Maybe it was Phil?

Doesn't really matter at this point.

I still maintain that the strategy being employed now wouldn't have worked in 2013. He employed the only strategy that was realistically available to him at the time.
To illustrate the point: no way in Hell do we ever get Tyler Lytle in 2013. It Would have been a waste of time and resources to even try.
THIS! HCMM used what was available to him at the time. It was extremely important to right the ship and build a proper foundational dry-dock (no mixed metaphors), whose destruction started with DH and was totally trashed by Water Bottle.
When MM got here it was far too easy to recruit against CU: irrelevant, big-time confused losers with no facilities in a cold, remote town, was the impression too easy to implant in recruits' minds. Recruiting kids like Julemiss and Lytle would have been like pi**ing in the wind back then. In fact looking at the offer lists of U$C and UCLA recruits, the Buffs were offering those same 4* kids, but for no good reason or with no chance.
Also, am very glad our "vaunted" ex-recruiting coordinator moved on. He added little to the equation in terms of planning or execution or enthusiasm. Chev brings all three elements to the table; plus he now has a world-class facility that attests to a commitment on the part of the whole University to winning. Camps remain an important part too. How many of these recruits have expressed their surprise with Boulder? We all know its the best campus in one of, if not the best, college towns around, with a terrific climate that's not under snow in June, nor is it in the middle of nowhere.
If anything its synergy of a lot of moving parts, centered around both HCMM and AD RG.

THIS! HCMM used what was available to him at the time. It was extremely important to right the ship and build a proper foundational dry-dock (no mixed metaphors), whose destruction started with DH and was totally trashed by Water Bottle.
When MM got here it was far too easy to recruit against CU: irrelevant, big-time confused losers with no facilities in a cold, remote town, was the impression too easy to implant in recruits' minds. Recruiting kids like Julemiss and Lytle would have been like pi**ing in the wind back then. In fact looking at the offer lists of U$C and UCLA recruits, the Buffs were offering those same 4* kids, but for no good reason or with no chance.
Also, am very glad our "vaunted" ex-recruiting coordinator moved on. He added little to the equation in terms of planning or execution or enthusiasm. Chev brings all three elements to the table; plus he now has a world-class facility that attests to a commitment on the part of the whole University to winning. Camps remain an important part too. How many of these recruits have expressed their surprise with Boulder? We all know its the best campus in one of, if not the best, college towns around, with a terrific climate that's not under snow in June, nor is it in the middle of nowhere.
If anything its synergy of a lot of moving parts, centered around both HCMM and AD RG.
So we couldn't have done any better in the first couple years, and yet you're glad Walters is gone because he didn't bring any planning, execution, or enthusiasm??

How do you reconcile those two statements?

So we couldn't have done any better in the first couple years, and yet you're glad Walters is gone because he didn't bring any planning, execution, or enthusiasm??

How do you reconcile those two statements?
Where was his "plan"---he was the RC ? What did he add? Where was his enthusiasm or focus? He was a "place-holder", waiting for something else to pop up. This board was all lovey-dovey with the guy who added nothing to the equation.

Where was his "plan"---he was the RC ? What did he add? Where was his enthusiasm or focus? He was a "place-holder", waiting for something else to pop up. This board was all lovey-dovey with the guy who added nothing to the equation.
I don't disagree, but you're basically giving Mac a complete pass on 3 years of recruiting performance while simultaneously ripping the recruiting coordinator he hired and the lack of recruiting focus in the program.

For those saying everything has gone pretty much according to plan, how do you explain Texas recruiting under MacIntyre? I am not buying that being mostly a non-factor was the best we could have hoped for up until now.

For those saying everything has gone pretty much according to plan, how do you explain Texas recruiting under MacIntyre? I am not buying that being mostly a non-factor was the best we could have hoped for up until now.
Texas recruiting (and recruiting in general) has been poor up until the latter half of last year. He clearly had a poor strategy coming in, whether it was by choice or because it was his only option.

However, he has obviously recognized the poor strategy and shifted course, to find some success. Should the failures of years 1 and 2 ultimately doom him, even though he seems to have "figured it out" now?

I think you take everything into account. You cannot just ignore the first few years of recruiting as if they never happened, just as you cannot ignore the current success. Got to continue to add more quality pieces.

I think you take everything into account. You cannot just ignore the first few years of recruiting as if they never happened, just as you cannot ignore the current success. Got to continue to add more quality pieces.
I know you disagree with me, but I still contend, especially in this case, time to build up to recruiting success. Mac has progressed both in building a staff but in building recruiting. The big barrier he has to break through is game day preparation and coaching.

I know you disagree with me, but I still contend, especially in this case, time to build up to recruiting success. Mac has progressed both in building a staff but in building recruiting. The big barrier he has to break through is game day preparation and coaching.

Our team should have been run over by USC by 14+ last year. I don't buy he doesn't know how to gameplay.

Back