What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your impression of the Mike MacIntyre hire?

What is your impression?

• Good hire, look out Pac-12!

Votes: 74 32.0%
  • Cautiously optimistic, just remember last WAC coach we hired

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Underwhelmed, don't know what to think

Votes: 16 6.9%
  • I like polls

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
Optimistic. Not cautiously so, either. I feel much better about this hire than I did about the Embree hire. The days of 1-11 are over. Of that, I'm absolutely certain.

We still might have one of those in our future. But I'm hoping that's the last.

I'm well aware this thing will take a while to turn. I had no confidence that Embree could turn it around. I have far more hope that MacIntyre can. He has my support, but faith has to be earned at this point in the game.

I am with Nik, this is a real HC has performed the task at a high level, his teams got better. Also contrary to Hawkins this guy built it, Hawkins got in the drivers seat and just held on.
I am betting he is not 1-10 in his second year

I'm not going to lie - I've been optimistic about every CU hire since Neuheisel. And all 4 have contributed in some way to the slow steady decline of CU football. But McIntyre has advantages that Skippy, Barnett, D2D and Water Bottle didn't have - a) he's coming in to fix a program that everyone agrees is in terrible shape, b) he has proven success doing that same thing, and c) he appears to have a newly dedicated University willing to back him. When I look at it this way, I do think there are good reasons to be optimistic.

BUT, I am going to be reserved with my enthusiasm until I see if he can take us where we want to go. It appears that he can coach. That alone should be worth an extensive amount of improvement over last year. No matter what anyone says, from all unbiased observers, Water Bottle & Co. couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag. So we will see improvement. But until we see what assistants he has the pull to get in here, what kind of recruits he is able to go out and get, what kind of program he runs, etc, I don't think there's a good reason to go over the moon yet.

This has to be seen as a 5 year project, imo. Improvement in competitiveness and recruiting in year 1, improvement in win/loss in year 2, continued improvement in win/loss + possible bowl bid in year 3, bowl bid in year 4, competition in division, bowl bid, etc in year 5. That's the very best we could hope for, imo.

Well, this was the guy I wanted after Utah State's coach said "no". Hopefully he doesn't let me (us) down.

But I absolutely can't see how this isn't an improvement over (at least) our last 2 coaches (and maybe our last 4! :cry:). How are we not screamingly happy about that? We are a program that has fallen to its lowest level in 120 years of football...and just got one of the best people we had any hope of getting. Every media outlet thinks so too (not that this means squat...but there's a broad consensus we did well here).

We are better because of this. The jury is out on how much better....but for a 1-11 team, we should be dancing over this. His ties to EVERY CALIFORNIA HIGH SCHOOL are about to come in handy...(and I am eager to see the staff he brings in...:popcorn:).

It's a good day to be a Buff!

I'm not going to lie - I've been optimistic about every CU hire since Neuheisel. And all 4 have contributed in some way to the slow steady decline of CU football. But McIntyre has advantages that Skippy, Barnett, D2D and Water Bottle didn't have - a) he's coming in to fix a program that everyone agrees is in terrible shape, b) he has proven success doing that same thing, and c) he appears to have a newly dedicated University willing to back him. When I look at it this way, I do think there are good reasons to be optimistic.

BUT, I am going to be reserved with my enthusiasm until I see if he can take us where we want to go. It appears that he can coach. That alone should be worth an extensive amount of improvement over last year. No matter what anyone says, from all unbiased observers, Water Bottle & Co. couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag. So we will see improvement. But until we see what assistants he has the pull to get in here, what kind of recruits he is able to go out and get, what kind of program he runs, etc, I don't think there's a good reason to go over the moon yet.

This has to be seen as a 5 year project, imo. Improvement in competitiveness and recruiting in year 1, improvement in win/loss in year 2, continued improvement in win/loss + possible bowl bid in year 3, bowl bid in year 4, competition in division, bowl bid, etc in year 5. That's the very best we could hope for, imo.

Hahaha haven't seen this name yet. So we went from juicebox to water bottle :lol:. And for those complaining about this being a meh or bad hire... who do you realistically think we couldve got who was better? I understand the cautiously optimistic crowd, but those who dislike the hire and are mad at the choice... tell me who would be better, I'd love to know. Idots.

1. A couple more years as a coordinator some place? More college coaching experience? More experience coaching a BCS-level squad (Duke doesn't count). Some experience coaching a winning college football team (other than this year).

2. So, you're saying MacIntyre was your first choice all along?

He has more BCS level coordinator experience than Jim Tressell, Nick Saban (Before MSU) Dan Hawkins, Jon Embree. Goes both ways. The fact is he has more experience than the last two coaches we've had. And I think winning assistant coach of the year even though it was at Duke says a lot.

1. A couple more years as a coordinator some place? More college coaching experience? More experience coaching a BCS-level squad (Duke doesn't count). Some experience coaching a winning college football team (other than this year).

2. So, you're saying MacIntyre was your first choice all along?
1. Duke doesn't count yet he was named the FBS assistant coach of the year? Mac has plenty of experience in both the NFL and the college level
2. No Dykes was, but MacIntyre was my 2nd. Who else hired a better coach as of right now? Purdue could be ahead of us, and maybe WKU but otherwise a lot have been meh.

1990–1991
1993–1996
1997–1998
1999–2002
2003–2006
2008–2009
2010–2012
2013–present
Georgia (Asst.)
Davidson (DC)
Tennessee-Martin (DC)
Temple (DC)
Ole Miss (WR/DB)
Dallas Cowboys (DB)
New York Jets (DB)
Duke (DC)
San Jose State
Colorado

He has more BCS level coordinator experience than Jim Tressell, Nick Saban (Before MSU) Dan Hawkins, Jon Embree. Goes both ways. The fact is he has more experience than the last two coaches we've had. And I think winning assistant coach of the year even though it was at Duke says a lot.

:yeahthat:.

I agree. That award is given by the football coaches' association, which means that McIntyre is plugged in and respected among other coaches. Things like this make a difference when you're putting together a staff. They also make a difference when you have to fire a coach and deal with the fallout.

Hahaha haven't seen this name yet. So we went from juicebox to water bottle :lol:. And for those complaining about this being a meh or bad hire... who do you realistically think we couldve got who was better? I understand the cautiously optimistic crowd, but those who dislike the hire and are mad at the choice... tell me who would be better, I'd love to know. Idots.

I think you're misreading people who are "underwhelmed" with the hire (me included). I like MacIntyre. I know he'll be better than Embree. I hope he's better than Hawkins and bet he will be. But, I am ultimately underwhelmed after hearing names like Strong, Mullen and Golden bandied about. I also was a proponent of some of the available coordinators over MacIntyre, but I understand the AD and much of the fan base wanted a HC this time around.

1. Duke doesn't count yet he was named the FBS assistant coach of the year? Mac has plenty of experience in both the NFL and the college level
2. No Dykes was, but MacIntyre was my 2nd. Who else hired a better coach as of right now? Purdue could be ahead of us, and maybe WKU but otherwise a lot have been meh.

1990–1991
1993–1996
1997–1998
1999–2002
2003–2006
2008–2009
2010–2012
2013–present
Georgia (Asst.)
Davidson (DC)
Tennessee-Martin (DC)
Temple (DC)
Ole Miss (WR/DB)
Dallas Cowboys (DB)
New York Jets (DB)
Duke (DC)
San Jose State
Colorado

Clearly the CU AD thinks Tennessee hired a better coach. MacIntyre could be the best or worst hire made this offseason. We'll know in four years. But it's silly to pretend that you know MacIntyre is the best hire this offseason.

never liked the hawkins hire, never liked the embree hire (unqualified, limited the coaching pool by looking for a CU guy), this is the best hire we have made in a while. If anyone can turn us around, he can.

Poll taken by the Silicon Valley Mercury News: Which school got the better coach - Cal (Sonny Dykes) or Colorado (Mike Macintyre)?
Results: Colorado 65%, Cal 35%.
Pointless but funny.

Poll taken by the Silicon Valley Mercury News: Which school got the better coach - Cal (Sonny Dykes) or Colorado (Mike Macintyre)?
Pointless but funny.

That exact quote appeared on my last employee evaluation. I framed it.

I was secretly hoping for this hire. I don't think he will lead us all the way to the promise land, but I do think he can engineer a turn around that will get us to the level where we can compete for talent.

I've watched his teams play several times and they play with a lot of tenacity (mostly because they were too small and under talented) which is exactly what we will need the next 2-3 years because our talent is so weak. IMO, due to all the psychological scarring from GB/Hawk/JE, CU is worse off than SJSU was when Mac got there so I think the turn around job will be bigger and much harder for him at CU than it was SJSU. Our mental attitude is the worst I've ever seen. I think it will take till the 3rd year before we go bowling and by the 4th until we are respectable. By that time he will jump ship to go somewhere big for a turn around (SC? Florida?...) and we can focus on someone who can take us to the championship.

I'll just leave this here:

8261578063_72129c0578.jpg

Pointless but funny.

That's because SJ is the best of Norcal!!!

Pointless but funny.

Not a doubt in my mind MacIntyre will prove more successful than Dykes. Dykes is a terrible fit for Berkeley, and he's likely kicking himself with Texas Tech's vacancy appearing days after he left for Cal

I would like to clarify for anyone who might have thought I was criticizing the hire - I'm not. I'm happy to have McIntyre, and think he's a better fit than Jones ever would have been. Frankly, if anyone is comparing the McIntyre hire to Hawk - stop right there. BJ was the Hawk hire. BJ fit almost all of the qualifications of a Hawk hire, short the potential failure that we won't see coming. McIntyre is a lower profile, less ballyhooed coach who has actually done the nitty gritty work to resurrect a program. (Assuming SJSU was ever 'surrected'.)

My only qualification is that I have been over the moon over 4 CU hires in the last 18 years. I'm not doing it again. I'm optimistic, but by definition I am cautiously so, because I'm making myself.

Back