What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your pain threshold?

missouri has been a legit bowl team/ranked for the better part of a decade. they are doing well in the SEC i might also add. so, i disagree there.

i listened to pretty much every game on the radio the year the Nuggets won 11 games. at that time, i started to feel like the NBA and the Nuggs were different entities altogether. or watching MLB playoffs in the early years of the Rox....and you are like..."wow, that's what good pitching looks like". i've been that way about CU football for a while now.

i've always preferred basketball as a game to football.....but i never thought i'd see the day CU was a hoops school.

Mick - the Snyder Era in question was his first, circa mid to late 1980s. Excellent handle BTW. Awwwwwww wam bam thank you mam!!!

A word of advice. Stop drinking the koolaid. Don't get too excited over a 20+ point loss to UCLA or get too down over a beat down in Washington. We have a coach in place that knows how to rebuild, he just needs time to get talent and his system in place.

You can't keep a quitter from quitting....so have a nice life to all the people that leave. I will follow the Buffs until I die. Even now, it is Buffs, then a distant Broncos, then everything else. I feel MM will bring the Buffs back, and Lord knows the bandwagoners will fill the stadium.

The Buffs are family. Shoulder2Shoulder and all that.

The truth for me is that the athletic department is more than the football program.
I appreciate that CU maintains superiority in skiing and cross country. Tad's basketball program has been a source of pride and a much needed shot in the arm. The accomplishments of Jenny Simpson and Emma Coburn are inspirational. I enjoy cheering on Nate Soldier's professional success in New England and appreciate every Buff who excelled in Boulder over the past eight years to find success in their professional careers.

I fully recognize that the football program is what funds the other non-revenue sports. Without a viable football program, the success of the non-revenue sports is put at risk. My beloved school leadership has been systematically starving the goose that lays the golden egg for years and years now. Like Rip Van Winkle, President Benson awoke from his long slumber and FINALLY took material actions to right this listing ship. The jury is out as to whether this delayed rescue attempt is too little, too late.

My perspective on CU football had a parallel in my mind to being there for a beloved relative who is in an assisted living facility or hospice. I can't stop loving CU football just because it is dying a slow and painful death. I will continue to pay the bills (season ticket purchase & donations) as my duty as an alumni. You stay with the girl you take to the dance.

I will regularly check in and pay my respects in honor of Mark Wetmore, Rick Rokos, Tad Boyle, and each and every student-athlete that deserve the support and loyalty of those who came before them. Through sickness and health, I keep my pledge of allegiance to Colorado and I will fondly treasure the glorious accomplishments of the past, when CU football was a vibrant and powerful force to be reckoned with.

Visiting Folsom now is like sitting in my ancient relative's home that hasn't been remodeled for decades, and has all the fashion appointments of an era that predates the Internet, cell phones and President Clinton. But it's home.

Maybe I'm too jaded. Perhaps CU football isn't really a terminal patient. My koolaid drinking involves wishful thinking that CU is merely the victim of a motorcycle crash against Phil DiStefano's neglectful passionless bumbling sausage-fisted bureaucratic oversight. The longtime chancellor's service cannot be called anything approximating leadership. Maybe CU can recover from the broken spine, massive brain injury, and hemorrhaging that has been incurred by our diminutive Bloody Mary drinking campus custodian.

With any luck, Rick George's physical therapy, more time for Mike MacIntyre to recruit, and with Buff Nation's love and money, this frail program that is but a shadow of it's former self can somehow claw it's way back into relevancy like Robert Downy, Jr. coming out of rehab to become a blockbuster superhero like Iron Man, or wow national critics with a comeback like Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler.

I hope and pray that the 1990's Buff glory returns the same way that supporters of Macaulay Culkin, Lindsey Lohan, and Mohammad Ali hope and pray for some return to the halcyon days when there was greatness. But once a soldier comes back from the war with a plate in his head, it would be a miracle to witness the same vigor as from before the injury of 2005-2013. At least not with DiStefano at the helm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked a great time to have a kid. It is not like we are missing good football.

Having adopted 3 kids a year ago it's easy to be distracted from how bad we are. I still watch every game but it just doesn't seem that important anymore.

I also know that at some time in the future we will be back, it will happen. It would be easier if they replaced Dr. Phil and we had facilities upgrades already in progress but having lived through Fairbanks I know that the resiliency is there.

Once we start winning some games again, once it is fun to go to games again and the students want to be and stay there, once Buffs fans don't have to be embarrassed to discuss the team with friends and co-workers from other teams then we will see the fan base come back.

We will have permanently lost some fans because of this, that happens but we wil eventually replace them.

Man I wish his dad wasn't as overbearing as he is (was)...

When CU starts winning you'll be back, and so will a lot of people

I think some people don't understand...when I say I am leaving I mean that I am not renewing my tickets and I am not making a donation. I will watch CU football from time to time but I will not be back as a season ticket holder. How many of the people who say they will be with CU through this mean they will keep writing big checks.

I think some people don't understand...when I say I am leaving I mean that I am not renewing my tickets and I am not making a donation. I will watch CU football from time to time but I will not be back as a season ticket holder. How many of the people who say they will be with CU through this mean they will keep writing big checks.

The thing that may finally start getting the attention of the administration is when enough people who write checks to other parts of the university say we aren't writing the check until our football program isn't so embarassing.

Money matters. They think they are somewhat isolated since the make athletics pay for itself but when the link gets made between lousy athletics and less money in other areas then things may start to happen faster.

How much did ATM raise with their showing last year? That should open our admins eyes.

Then again ATM has a very strong petro and energy program. Lots of money down there in those industries.

Having adopted 3 kids a year ago it's easy to be distracted from how bad we are. I still watch every game but it just doesn't seem that important anymore.

I also know that at some time in the future we will be back, it will happen. It would be easier if they replaced Dr. Phil and we had facilities upgrades already in progress but having lived through Fairbanks I know that the resiliency is there.

Once we start winning some games again, once it is fun to go to games again and the students want to be and stay there, once Buffs fans don't have to be embarrassed to discuss the team with friends and co-workers from other teams then we will see the fan base come back.

We will have permanently lost some fans because of this, that happens but we wil eventually replace them.

You are assuming that we will eventually be a good team. What makes you so sure we will?

Well, I am and always will be a big fan. I am an alum, a CO resident and taxpayer. But the fun is gone. It is embarrassing to talk CFB with friends and co-workers, I feel like a Baylor fan...oh wait, there administration aren't complete incompetent boobs and they have found a way to succeed in Waco. I guess I feel like a KjSU fan, wait, they found a way to succeed in the little apple. I guess I feel like a Vandy fan...you get the picture. I'll sit back, root and hope one day CU won't be everyone's laugher opponent, but I fear Fatty is right, until that little doorknob DoucheStephano and BB are gone, it s all wishful thinking.

I'm just a poor government employee, so I won't be writing any big checks. The support that I have shown though, I will continue to show, and I'd encourage you to do likewise. End of the day, it is your prerogative though and I respect your right to feel like you've seen enough and exit stage right.

Well, I am and always will be a big fan. I am an alum, a CO resident and taxpayer. But the fun is gone. It is embarrassing to talk CFB with friends and co-workers, I feel like a Baylor fan...oh wait, there administration aren't complete incompetent boobs and they have found a way to succeed in Waco. I guess I feel like a KjSU fan, wait, they found a way to succeed in the little apple. I guess I feel like a Vandy fan...you get the picture. I'll sit back, root and hope one day CU won't be everyone's laugher opponent, but I fear Fatty is right, until that little doorknob DoucheStephano and BB are gone, it s all wishful thinking.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 122
With only so much money to give and so many worthwhile things to donate to CU is making it difficult to support the place we all graduated from. It should be a joy to give to the university. Instead, with this leadership I'll give elsewhere.

I surpassed mine last season.... it isn't a total coincidence that you haven't seen me at a tailgate since September.

After realizing how behind we are in facilities (leaking roofs during the storm), inability to raise $50M for a relatively modest $170M refurbishment, continued lambasting by good teams (but not great by any means)...for the first time in my life I actually wondered if we're better suited for the MWC. That's how crestfallen I have become. Sad, but true.

I am so upset about how we have fallen so far, for so long, with no one taking any responsibility. For so long the facilities stagnated even while the team was doing okay, now we are both far behind and bad, and it is embarrassing.

To me, the fundraising problem won't be fixed until people (more than one) at the top say "How the hell did we, the University of Colorado, let ourselves go from national champions and one-time top notch facilities, and regular league champion contenders, then plummet to league bottom feeders in both performance and facilities. Well, it was on my watch so I'm responsible." Then either resign or say "I'm mad it happened while I'm in charge and I'm not quitting until I get it fixed".

Why would you donate when no one has taken any responsibility for letting this long, long fall happen in the first place?

Thankfully we're hitting the JUCO ranks pretty hard, ...

What does hitting the JUCO ranks hard mean? ASU brought in 10 JUCO's last year. I consider that hitting the JUCO ranks hard. We are bringing in 10 JUCO's this year?

[video=youtube_share;W9TgWvseH2o]http://youtu.be/W9TgWvseH2o[/video]

I thought that was appropriate.

I was a freshman at CU fall 82 for Mac the Elders first year. I was in the seats for the 1-10 year in 84. I got season tickets in 1989 and have had them ever since. I've seen the lows, the highs, and the lows again. Last year was the the program's nadir. I've seen hints of improvement this year but the PAC12 beatings are disheartening. NewMac needs time to turn this around. 2 out of the last 3 recruiting classes have been transition classes and Hawk's last class was a joke. I'll keep going to games, I'm a glutton for punishment. Need to see commitment from CU on facilities.

[video=youtube_share;W9TgWvseH2o]http://youtu.be/W9TgWvseH2o[/video]

I thought that was appropriate.

I was a freshman at CU fall 82 for Mac the Elders first year. I was in the seats for the 1-10 year in 84. I got season tickets in 1989 and have had them ever since. I've seen the lows, the highs, and the lows again. Last year was the the program's nadir. I've seen hints of improvement this year but the PAC12 beatings are disheartening. NewMac needs time to turn this around. 2 out of the last 3 recruiting classes have been transition classes and Hawk's last class was a joke. I'll keep going to games, I'm a glutton for punishment. Need to see commitment from CU on facilities.

inspiring! I was a freshman in 83, so I lived through the same early Mac pain. I think the way to turn this bitch around is to get the new facilities rolling. We need to build excitement with all of the alumni, and get us to open our checkbooks, even if it is a measly $100 each. I think Rick will get it going.

A word of advice. Stop drinking the koolaid. Don't get too excited over a 20+ point loss to UCLA or get too down over a beat down in Washington. We have a coach in place that knows how to rebuild, he just needs time to get talent and his system in place.

this. I suspected the record, just not the level of beatdowns in conference. but we have a coach. after 7 long years, we have a coach. he needs players and time to acquire them, and this isn't the year to go off the deep end. judge him in year 3, but don't desert him now.

After realizing how behind we are in facilities (leaking roofs during the storm), inability to raise $50M for a relatively modest $170M refurbishment, continued lambasting by good teams (but not great by any means)...for the first time in my life I actually wondered if we're better suited for the MWC. That's how crestfallen I have become. Sad, but true.
Let's get this straight, the area that was flooding was in the 2nd floor of the basement, which is below the field. It doesn't really surprise me that when the floor that you enter on from the field flooded that the level below had a leaky roof.

Yesterday's Washington game was the 1st time I didn't watch a single minute of a CU football game in a long long long time. Just wasn't interested. Knew what the outcome was going to be before the ball was ever kicked off.

I like the idea of CU getting back to competitive again - but I don't see it happening anytime soon. CU is so far in a financial hole and they are just going to have to be terrible for 3 or 4 years until they are dug out of that hole. And I don't see the University having the money to make any drastic needed facility changes. Expecting donors to dig them out of the current hole is a pipe dream. CU doesn't have enough donors to dig out. It'll just take the time of the Pac-12 money to fill it in.

Once the athletic department is back in the black again, hopefully they can make some smart long term investments.

I reached my limit last year. Haven't been to a home game since the debacle vs. Sac St. Dropped our season tix in Hawkins' last year.

I didn't even watch the second half last night. Knew what was coming and saved myself some agony.

Yesterday's Washington game was the 1st time I didn't watch a single minute of a CU football game in a long long long time. Just wasn't interested. Knew what the outcome was going to be before the ball was ever kicked off.

I like the idea of CU getting back to competitive again - but I don't see it happening anytime soon. CU is so far in a financial hole and they are just going to have to be terrible for 3 or 4 years until they are dug out of that hole. And I don't see the University having the money to make any drastic needed facility changes. Expecting donors to dig them out of the current hole is a pipe dream. CU doesn't have enough donors to dig out. It'll just take the time of the Pac-12 money to fill it in.

Once the athletic department is back in the black again, hopefully they can make some smart long term investments.

The generosity of Colorado's donor population may not be as bad as we make it out to be.
The Council for Aid to Education published a report of a survey that collected dollar amounts of "voluntary support for education" by university in 2012. According to the source, CU doesn't look bad relative to peers and big name football factories.

From other conferences
Ohio State $334.5
Notre Dame $293.2
Michigan $291.3
Penn State $181.5
Florida $173.4
Nebraska $171.4
Mizzou $143.9
Oklahoma $139.0
LSU $105.8
Oklahoma State $95.2
Alabama $93.9
Auburn $63.7
Baylor $59.6
Florida State $54.9

P12
Stanford $1034.8
USC $491.9
Cal $405.4
UCLA $344.2
Washington $310.9
Colorado $221.2
Arizona $180.3
Utah $134.0
Oregon $109.5
Oregon State $101.6
Arizona State $98.8

If this report is at all reliable, it tells me that CU football has more of a prioritization problem than a donor problem.

The generosity of Colorado's donor population may not be as bad as we make it out to be.
The Council for Aid to Education published a report of a survey that collected dollar amounts of "voluntary support for education" by university in 2012. According to the source, CU doesn't look bad relative to peers and big name football factories.

From other conferences
Ohio State $334.5
Notre Dame $293.2
Michigan $291.3
Penn State $181.5
Florida $173.4
Nebraska $171.4
Mizzou $143.9
Oklahoma $139.0
LSU $105.8
Oklahoma State $95.2
Alabama $93.9
Auburn $63.7
Baylor $59.6
Florida State $54.9

P12
Stanford $1034.8
USC $491.9
Cal $405.4
UCLA $344.2
Washington $310.9
Colorado $221.2
Arizona $180.3
Utah $134.0
Oregon $109.5
Oregon State $101.6
Arizona State $98.8

If this report is at all reliable, it tells me that CU football has more of a prioritization problem than a donor problem.

Those figures are nice - but the University doesn't share with the athletic department.

The football team is responsible for financing the entire AD. It should betreated like the goldmine that it is. Waiting around for money to appear is exactly why we are in the position we are in. The admin needs to be proactive and invest in something with a great potential revenue stream. If there was a way to privatize the football program, I wouldnt hesitate to invest the funds necessary to make this a winning program, and it would be an easy sell. Have you seen the ROI for successful football programs? UT is generating 5x expenses as profit. I dont know a single industry that can even come close to that. To not appreciate the financial opportunity the school has, is reason #1 our administration needs to GTFO.

The football team is responsible for financing the entire AD. It should betreated like the goldmine that it is. Waiting around for money to appear is exactly why we are in the position we are in. The admin needs to be proactive and invest in something with a great potential revenue stream. If there was a way to privatize the football program, I wouldnt hesitate to invest the funds necessary to make this a winning program, and it would be an easy sell. Have you seen the ROI for successful football programs? UT is generating 5x expenses as profit. I dont know a single industry that can even come close to that. To not appreciate the financial opportunity the school has, is reason #1 our administration needs to GTFO.

Yadda yadda yadda. I don't say this to be critical or negative toward you -- but this same comment has been made for more than 30 years at CU.

You want to continue the same path we have been on for the last 20 years. How can we go wrong?

I don't want to continue the path. But it is THE PATH. The University has established - for a long time now - that this is the path it is taking. I don't know why anyone would waste the time expecting CU to deviate from that path.

Back