What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your take on Helfrich/Grimes leaving and Kiesau/Johnson stepping in?

LilBunky

I sensed last winter that Hawk was dissatisfied with both Helfrich and Grimes. Neither seemed to be living up to their respective reps.

Grimes was too technique-oriented and seemed averse to smash-mouth football! A step back and sideways may be fine for BYU, but in the Big 12, it just gave the opposing DLs time to shoot through and plug things up on the ground game, while allowing too quick a rush on passing plays.

Johnson appears to be old school in his approach to an attacking O-line, but not a "DI-type" in terms of working with the players. It seems they like his philosphy and approach.

Helfrich was a real disappointment and Hawk let him know when he elevated Kiesau over him to associate head coach. That was the sign for Helfrich to scan the want ads; too bad nothing popped up until spring ball was over. Helfrich was a techie, with the X-box toy and the helmet cams:wow: and never established an identity for the O. As pointed out, he was too enamored of copying someone else's O, rather than developing his own. His best moments last year were the first drive vs. WVA and the first five minutes of the kNU game. Those aside , he struggled at play-calling; as the players noted, when "we got stuck, we had no outs"! He was also a real disappointment as QB coach, neither Hansen nor Barringer seemed to improve much under his tutelege, and Cody had that huge soph slump.

All in all, the departure of those two, with the elevation of Kiesau and the hiring of Johnson should portend good things for the O this year.:thumbsup:

Helfrich needed to go, IMO. His playcalling was just not getting it done. I think to say that headscratchers were regular occurrences is a bit of an understatement.

Regarding the OL coach switch, I am not really qualified to comment on something that technical as I don't pay that close of attention.

I do think Grimes must have been doing something right, though, if he was getting recruited by Auburn.

Helfrich needed to go, IMO. His playcalling was just not getting it done. I think to say that headscratchers were regular occurrences is a bit of an understatement.

Regarding the OL coach switch, I am not really qualified to comment on something that technical as I don't pay that close of attention.

I do think Grimes must have been doing something right, though, if he was getting recruited by Auburn.

Don't be fooled, he was not recruited by a successful Auburn program, but by one that is re-building, having just re-hired what many in Auburn considered a mistake in Gene Chizick! (Who by the way, did NOTHING at Iowa State and who many in Texas were glad to see leave after his short tenure as DC in Austin!)

I did like Grimes. I agree with you that the writing was on the wall on Helfrich, and I really like Kiesau. I like Denver Johnson a lot too, but I think Grimes was a good coach. It's hard to determine that from his on-field product, because of the injuries. However, it seems that Hawk wanted to retain him, and as buffs04 states, Auburn recruited him, giving him a decent raise. Grimes was also a good recruiter, which I think we'll miss.

I did like Grimes. I agree with you that the writing was on the wall on Helfrich, and I really like Kiesau. I like Denver Johnson a lot too, but I think Grimes was a good coach. It's hard to determine that from his on-field product, because of the injuries. However, it seems that Hawk wanted to retain him, and as buffs04 states, Auburn recruited him, giving him a decent raise. Grimes was also a good recruiter, which I think we'll miss.

I was a bit indifferent to Grimes coaching-wise, but I did not like losing him.

Also, it was the area that he recruited that was especially important. We had made a lot of in-roads into Texas with him (might very well have landed Emory Blake if he had not left). Sure we hired Denver Johnson to do the same thing, but in essence we are almost starting from scratch again.

I was a bit indifferent to Grimes coaching-wise, but I did not like losing him.

Also, it was the area that he recruited that was especially important. We had made a lot of in-roads into Texas with him (might very well have landed Emory Blake if he had not left). Sure we hired Denver Johnson to do the same thing, but in essence we are almost starting from scratch again.

grimey talking **** about his old team, scumbag.

If Hawkins wanted Helfrich to look elsewhere for a job, he should have had the balls to fire him himself.

The Buffs haven't even played a down of meaningful football since Helfrich and Grimes left. I'll be evaluating these two changes from the start of the season through 2010's National Signing Day to see what Kiesau and Johnson have really brought to this team.

That stall tactic aside, I like the positivity behind these two guys so far and their rapport with the players they coach.

If Hawkins wanted Helfrich to look elsewhere for a job, he should have had the balls to fire him himself.

:rolleyes:

Seems like he was intent on giving Helfrich one more season as OC, nothing wrong with putting a little pressure on the assistants to perform.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Seems like he was intent on giving Helfrich one more season as OC, nothing wrong with putting a little pressure on the assistants to perform.

He needs to be putting pressure on HIMSELF to perform.

I watched a documentary on Boise State on youtube. It was about their magical year they had after Hawkins left. The thing that caught my attention were the negative things the players said about Hawkins. We better see some vast improvements this year.

The Denver Johnson hire has potential. I haven't seen his performance on the field or on the recruiting circuit yet. But I do like to hear that he's coaching the OL to play more smashmouth.

The staffing decission I don't get is bringing in Foster to lend a hand with outside linebackers, which seems sort of redundant with Cabral. And Foster doesn't bring with him any recruitment obligations. Meanwhile Hawk moonlights as a WR coach.

Ron Collins coached outside linebackers last year, so bringing in Bob Foster doesn't change Cabral's role at all.

I watched a documentary on Boise State on youtube. It was about their magical year they had after Hawkins left. The thing that caught my attention were the negative things the players said about Hawkins. We better see some vast improvements this year.

Or what? YOU going to fire him??

And how would he do that to please you? He seems to have people on this site (incidentally, many people who have been big supporters from day one) expecting 8 wins or so. Seems like pressure to me.

Where's the link, you Fusker poseur?

Vast improvements? Gawd! Its always the posuers who are the most demanding ! :rolleyes:

What did they say? What is the link?

Ron Collins coached outside linebackers last year, so bringing in Bob Foster doesn't change Cabral's role at all.

I always thought of Collins to be the defensive coordinator, and not particularly position specific.

Even so, it seems like our offence might be able to use Foster more than our defense.

The key dynamic has to do with the timing of Helfrich's departure. His leaving after the spring game did CU no favors. It would have been better for CU if Helfrech was sent packing the day after NU game or the day after NLOI, depending on the recruitment implications. That would have allowed for a broader WR and OC search.

I get the impression that Hawkins is incredibly loyal to his assistants, even if that means waiting until Helfrich gets a late offer after spring ball.

Perhaps Hawkins could afford to be more of a hard ass if he could offer his assistants a contact or a best in league salary. Hawk's loyalty to his assistants might be his way of finding or retaining talent. I don't know.

Perhaps Hawkins could afford to be more of a hard ass if he could offer his assistants a contact or a best in league salary. Hawk's loyalty to his assistants might be his way of finding or retaining talent. I don't know.

That is one giant if.

Perhaps his loyalty is a response to the realities of the contract thing.

Then there is the fact that at this point coaching and playing at CU are not necessarily numero uno on many top-notch football peoples' minds.

A successful 2009-10, with loads of folks coming back next year, would go a long way to changing the latter.

I'm really excited to see what Kiesau can do with the offense this year. With a talented but young OL and a stable of great RBs, I'm thrilled to see a run-first oriented offense. I think Cody can thrive as a QB if he has a solid running game opening things up for him. And with the talent the Buffs have on the OL, I'm really excited to see what Speedy, Scott and Sumler can do back there.

Helfrich is not a big loss at all, IMO. Who develops a spread offense around a kid that is not a running threat? 'Nuff said!

_44908783_bernie_220.jpg

u dont need pressure to perform, u just go out and play ball. When ur having fun, ur usually playing well. Another thing, I could give 2 sh*ts about what Boise State's players have to say about Hawk when he isnt there. He is the head coach at CU and thats all I care about.​

You're right, maybe Hawk should promote Cabral to Vice Head Coach to add a little pressure on himself. And if he doesn't win enough games this year, he can fire himself.

His "10 wins" statement, put plenty of pressure on him regardless of if it was meant as a guarantee, goal, motivation, whatever.

As others have posted, I could give a rat's a$$ what BSU players said about Hawk, did he win games as a coach there? Yes, a lot of them.

Last edited:
I will not miss Helfrich at all. I though his play calling was horrid! Anyone has to be an upgrade.

I sensed last winter that Hawk was dissatisfied with both Helfrich and Grimes. Neither seemed to be living up to their respective reps.

Grimes was too technique-oriented and seemed averse to smash-mouth football! A step back and sideways may be fine for BYU, but in the Big 12, it just gave the opposing DLs time to shoot through and plug things up on the ground game, while allowing too quick a rush on passing plays.

Johnson appears to be old school in his approach to an attacking O-line, but not a "DI-type" in terms of working with the players. It seems they like his philosphy and approach.

Helfrich was a real disappointment and Hawk let him know when he elevated Kiesau over him to associate head coach. That was the sign for Helfrich to scan the want ads; too bad nothing popped up until spring ball was over. Helfrich was a techie, with the X-box toy and the helmet cams:wow: and never established an identity for the O. As pointed out, he was too enamored of copying someone else's O, rather than developing his own. His best moments last year were the first drive vs. WVA and the first five minutes of the kNU game. Those aside , he struggled at play-calling; as the players noted, when "we got stuck, we had no outs"! He was also a real disappointment as QB coach, neither Hansen nor Barringer seemed to improve much under his tutelege, and Cody had that huge soph slump.

All in all, the departure of those two, with the elevation of Kiesau and the hiring of Johnson should portend good things for the O this year.:thumbsup:

I think you have discussed this very well. The players themselves discussed the differences between Grimes and Johnson (it was in the papers a while back). I was uneasy about Grimes' approach to O-line play early last year and was not sad to see him go elsewhere. I won't waste any time on Helfrich. Bottom line is that I will be surprised if these 2 changes impact negatively.

i am hopeful about the changes... they are saying all the right things about philosophy and an identity and a plan. but, i am concerned about the fact that kiesau has never called plays. that means a learning curve, but hopefully it won't be as ugly as it was with helfrich. helfrich seemed to have no feel at all for the game.

based upon what we have read and heard, i am happy with where the team is headed from an offensive philosophy perspective... but, now they actually have to deliver and execute.

Ahhhh is buffmania a tough guy!!! WE BETTER!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

****ing douche

As pointed out, he was too enamored of copying someone else's O, rather than developing his own. His best moments last year were the first drive vs. WVA and the first five minutes of the kNU game. Those aside , he struggled at play-calling; as the players noted, when "we got stuck, we had no outs"! He was also a real disappointment as QB coach, neither Hansen nor Barringer seemed to improve much under his tutelege, and Cody had that huge soph slump.

Don't be too harsh on Jenny. She sets a new NCAA record every time she laces up her shoes. What more can you really ask of her? I just don't see how Barringer could have been expected to outplay Cody following her performance in the Beijing Olympics.:smile2:

What did they say? What is the link?

They alluded to Hawkins lying to them about not leaving Boise State, and were obviously upset that ESPN (instead of Hawkins himself) broke the story shortly after Hawkins said he wasn't going anywhere. Their star QB, when asked about Hawkins leaving, essentially said he could care less about it. "You know the guy leaves...Good."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUq_ig5Wlgk"]YouTube - Out of the Blue[/ame]

Back