What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Whelan: Marketing of CU basketball program an institutional failure

I agree with Will on this.

No one on the staff knows how to send a tweet?

We see more activity promoting the WBB program (JR Payne gets it) and we can see how this translates to activity in the AB hoops forum. WBB fans are more engaged right now than the MBB fans.

That article really hit the nail head on. I don't think it's fair to blame RG for the lack of marketing push for MBB but Boyle needs to step up his game and the same goes for his assistant coaches.

Know how many posts CU MBB Twitter has about the marquee matchup tonight with #4 UCLA? One and it doesn't mention tipoff time.

That article really hit the nail head on. I don't think it's fair to blame RG for the lack of marketing push for MBB but Boyle needs to step up his game and the same goes for his assistant coaches.

Curious why RG doesn't deserve blame. I do realize he has bigger fish to fry, but that's where a good assists would come in handy - and thats something he could fix real quickly.

Didn't Boyle criticise the fans for various things including crude chants and rushing the court?

Didn't Boyle criticise the fans for various things including crude chants and rushing the court?
He's said he hopes the program gets to the point where fans don't "need" to rush the court for beating ranked teams. Think he has mentioned crude chants but don't remember when and for what.

Excellent article. I know I'm certainly not as engaged this year as I've been with the program over the past several, and it's largely due to the apparent lackluster efforts I've seen. But the writer is correct that Bohn seemed a lot more personally engaged with the MBB program than RG seems to be. And that's not good.

Excellent article. I know I'm certainly not as engaged this year as I've been with the program over the past several, and it's largely due to the apparent lackluster efforts I've seen. But the writer is correct that Bohn seemed a lot more personally engaged with the MBB program than RG seems to be. And that's not good.

On that note, RG recognized that the CU Athletic Department was broken.

It could not be fixed through Men's Basketball or any other sport. It had to be fixed through Football.

Under Bohn, we had someone who saw that we have a limited budget that is inadequate and he did his best to spread around whatever resources were available after every program had gotten the minimum required. So he'd buy band uniforms, send students to basketball tournaments, add a women's LAX program to give us more in the spring while gaining a better Title IX situation, etc. He treated programs with as much equality as possible.

Under George, we have someone who sees that we have a limited budget that is inadequate and his priority is to fix that. So after funding every program to a minimum level he focuses all remaining resources and efforts on what can drive revenue to where it needs to be in the future. Therefore, everything is put into football (our only money maker) so that it can pull in max dollars from stadium revenue while spurring a donor culture at CU. A rising tide will lift all boats and once football is humming there will be much more money to go around for everyone.

This is a separate discussion from whether social media promotion of men's hoops needs to be increased. Of course it does. It's almost free to do this, just takes the effort and will to make it happen. But as a general AD philosophy, what I posted is absolutely relevant and I agree with RG's approach. All he's really done for hoops is to try to find ways to increase arena revenue with the beer gardens but has cut the student-focused giveaways.

Great insights, an institutional failure for sure.
Of course, we field about half as many teams as the other P12 schools and none of them draw any fans at all.

other than Mr Guerrerio's threads, for the last few games, allbuffs has shown zero apparent interest until just before the game (like tonight). that's not institutional failure, it's fair-weather fans with better things to do and post about

other than Mr Guerrerio's threads, for the last few games, allbuffs has shown zero apparent interest until just before the game (like tonight). that's not institutional failure, it's fair-weather fans with better things to do and post about

Well fans want a winner. And the program has run out of gas since Dinwiddie. Tad missed his recruits for a couple classes, had some disappointments in Collier and Miller, and that gets you to a 6-10 season or so in the PAC this year. Couple that with absurd 9pm start times and it's no wonder basketball has lost its luster.

Well fans want a winner. And the program has run out of gas since Dinwiddie. Tad missed his recruits for a couple classes, had some disappointments in Collier and Miller, and that gets you to a 6-10 season or so in the PAC this year. Couple that with absurd 9pm start times and it's no wonder basketball has lost its luster.

Totally concur with this ... and especially the bolded. Some of us older fans don't relish not getting home until midnight or later.

Well fans want a winner.

And no part of losing to CSU at home, especially during this particular year, can be called a "winner." I'm still blown away by that one, even CSU's sports writer picked CU by 20. That was the red flag of all red flags that there was something, perhaps "institutionally", wrong with this team.

9PM tip times are standard throughout the major conferences. Not absurd.

Great article.

Fans have had a winner in 5 of 7 seasons, a program that's won an average of 21.6 games per season before this year.

Focusing on this team's struggles as it relates to the issues discussed is missing the forest for the trees.

Perhaps the team just isn't very good. I'm a casual b-ball guy and this team isn't very fun to watch and there really are not any personalities that I want to tune in for.

Curious why RG doesn't deserve blame. I do realize he has bigger fish to fry, but that's where a good assists would come in handy - and thats something he could fix real quickly.

Something that needs to be done after this season. If changing coaches in football (Leavitt) worked, why not basketball?

Something that needs to be done after this season. If changing coaches in football (Leavitt) worked, why not basketball?

I actually meant an assistant AD - a Lance Carl type for other sports.

Fans have had a winner in 5 of 7 seasons, a program that's won an average of 21.6 games per season before this year.

Focusing on this team's struggles as it relates to the issues discussed is missing the forest for the trees.

Absolutely, Tad is the best thing CU basketball has had in decades. And he can stay for at least the next 5 years regardless of performance.

However it is completely fair to analyze the downward trend this this year and most likely next year. Attendance, excitement and performance is down and it's ok to try to understand how things stalled and how the program can get the excitement back.

Back