What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

When did this become an issue?

Always BUFF

I post stupid ****
Between red shirts, non red shirts & commits have the skilled positions been over recruited? I'm trying not to be partial Nixon & Shenault in particular, Texas big school products with upper level coaching. The second I saw Nixon's signed letter of intent I automatically believed JMac had been recruited over. It's Monday I'm doing my best to try to take my mind off of the Wash. game. The question does beg to be asked...the mind wonders.

There are definitely guys who have been recruited over. MacIntyre is not one of them unless we're talking about the punt returner job. I think Blackmon should be our PR. Dude looks like a natural there.
Ya. JayMac may be our most consistent WR's. If we need a 1st down, seems like he is always the guy.

I wanna see Nixon more involved somewhere but I agree on Blackmon. Maybe Fisher to safety as well if possible.

That's the goal. Over recruit current roster year in year out. These coaches have been doing that, incremental at some positions and ignoring other positions.

Out of 41 attempts last week not a one as I remember went to a TE. For just a moment...Shenault with lbs added a little lighter version of Graham? IMO Nixon in JMac's spot would add speed to an already fast group of receivers where speed has shown creates havoc. I do appreciate JMac's contributions his is a role that has a purpose.

There are definitely guys who have been recruited over. MacIntyre is not one of them unless we're talking about the punt returner job. I think Blackmon should be our PR. Dude looks like a natural there.
I think we possibly saw why Blackmon isn't at the moment though, seeing as he muffed it before the impressive return.

That's the goal. Over recruit current roster year in year out. These coaches have been doing that, incremental at some positions and ignoring other positions.
Except for the 2014 class. There were way too many misses that recruiting year. Scrambling to backfill with JUCOs with the 2017 and 2018 classes to get quality depth into that group of guys.

Ya. JayMac may be our most consistent WR's. If we need a 1st down, seems like he is always the guy.

Don't even think I am comparing him to these guys but Stokely and Welker proved in the NFL that the biggest, fastest, guys aren't always the most effective. This is especially true in the slot.

We may have recruited over JayMac in terms of raw talent but as long as he is consistently getting open and catching the ball when it comes to him he deserves to be out there.

When you run four wide, the TE isn't usually much of a threat to catch the ball.

I'd like to see the TE utilized more, too. I just don't think it's a big part of this offense.

Except for the 2014 class. There were way too many misses that recruiting year. Scrambling to backfill with JUCOs with the 2017 and 2018 classes to get quality depth into that group of guys.
Dead on... Blackmon & Nixon have been the KO returners through 3 games, I may have missed one but to the best of my memory neither have had the opportunity to make one....watch their body language afterward = disappointment. If they're good enough to burn a shirt as a true freshmen where's the logic in not playing them?

Dead on... Blackmon & Nixon have been the KO returners through 3 games, I may have missed one but to the best of my memory neither have had the opportunity to make one....watch their body language afterward = disappointment. If they're good enough to burn a shirt as a true freshmen where's the logic in not playing them?
SPECIAL TEAMS. Hello?

SPECIAL TEAMS. Hello?
1 play over the last 3 games...2 FGs & 3 TDs = 5 opportunities give or take 1 or 2. Punt returns is a whole different gig and to this point...after the last game with the space given the returners seem to have a standing order to fair catch regardless. We recruit them, at some point you let them take the field & lest we forget JMac flubbed at least 3-4 punts last year. I'm really not trying to ride JMac.

Special teams are the perfect area to break in underclassmen. Not understanding the issue here.
Over recruiting skilled positions ie. WRs. 4* players coming from high level comp that commit to CU to play...delegated to KRs does nothing for development. When I started this thread my thought pattern was "we recruit to improve". Point being recruit them be ready to play them.

When you run four wide, the TE isn't usually much of a threat to catch the ball.

I'd like to see the TE utilized more, too. I just don't think it's a big part of this offense.
3 passes to the TE this Sat could mean the difference between a win or loss...Udub sure isn't expecting even 1.

Over recruiting skilled positions ie. WRs. 4* players coming from high level comp that commit to CU to play...delegated to KRs does nothing for development. When I started this thread my thought pattern was "we recruit to improve". Point being recruit them be ready to play them.

You seem to think a bunch of chumps are playing ahead of the true freshmen. They should get some spot duty on offense this season and be more prepared to step into larger roles next season. It is a good thing we do not have to rely heavily on them at the moment.

Just because they were a 4* recruit does not mean they are currently the better player.

I dont think you realize what a jump d1 football is even from high level high school. Yes sometimes a freshman is just natural in the right situation, but thats very rare, espcially when you have very quality upper classmen in their position. Playing as a true freshman, even in mop up duty, is a big deal.

You seem to think a bunch of chumps are playing ahead of the true freshmen. They should get some spot duty on offense this season and be more prepared to step into larger roles next season. It is a good thing we do not have to rely heavily on them at the moment.

Yeah, kind of strange how the guys that many in the national and regional media called the best WR corp in the PAC12 and one of the better in the nation are now all the sudden a bunch of scrubs because fans want to see the new guys.

I'm excited to see what these kids can do for us as well but that isn't quite the JV that's going out there and lining up on most plays.

This is though why I am disappointed in the effort the last two weeks. Those were teams that had we been focused and ready the starters should have blown the games open by halftime and by the middle of the third quarter we were seeing Noyer throwing the ball to a bunch of underclassmen.

That is how the teams that are consistently in the top 25 handle games against lower division teams.

I think CU fans are way too reluctant to play freshmen.

But I want to play them where I see mediocrity.

For example, I'd be cool with Fontenot playing if Adkins-Evans-Bisharat don't show they can effectively spell Lindsay this week.

I'm ready for Poplawski to get more run at TE.

For example, I'd be cool with Fontenot playing if Adkins-Evans-Bisharat don't show they can effectively spell Lindsay this week.

Only reason I would disagree with you on Fontenot is if we have a realistic expectation of having Evans back at full speed within the next 2 or 3 games. Otherwise, burn it. But otherwise I think you are right here, as it wouldn't surprise me if Adkins is on his last life with this staff.

You seem to think a bunch of chumps are playing ahead of the true freshmen. They should get some spot duty on offense this season and be more prepared to step into larger roles next season. It is a good thing we do not have to rely heavily on them at the moment.[/QUOTE
There are no chumps at the D1 level & I don't believe otherwise with Bobo, Fields & Ross. Not so long ago CU did rely on young men that weren't ready including Sefo, still to the point to the OP, we recruit high level highly talented players and their careers are defined by opportunity. CU's history is littered with less played/young opportunity players that excelled. Joseph, Hessler and if you wish even Montez.

depends on the type. of freshman, that is.

nor do I my friend, nor do i. hey you need those cal tix back? looks like my trip just fell thru
I do need them back if you aren't using them. PM me with how to send you the refund. I'll see if I can do a re-issue of the tix online so you don't have to send them back to me.

it wouldn't surprise me if Adkins is on his last life with this staff.
That fumble won't win him many supporters. It's one thing to do that against UNC. Against most anybody else, that fumble might have been the difference in the game. The team was moving and going in for a score.

Back