What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

When did you know Hawkins was not the right guy for the job?

Beatdown by Mizzou in '08 got me thinking. The loss to CSU in '09 started to confirm it, and when he lost to Toledo, I knew he wasn't the right guy for the job.

Really wasn't 1 game or moment for me...was more of a culmination of seeing the same boring play calls, the same slow starts, the same lack of progress that doomed us each year.

But I held out hope that he could still change things and turn it around until the CSU then Toledo games last year

These are pretty much my thoughts also. The culmination was early last year for me. No progress was being made, same penalties, same poor special teams, same crappy play calling.

There is in this thread, and many other threads here, a sort of consensus that Hawkins is the sole problem, with regard to the program's w/l record.

Some schools have to dig a bit deeper to right things that have gone wrong over the years, coaching changes being the seeming most obvious to some. I'm wondering if Colorado will have to do that, or even if that realization is at all in the minds of those who have anything to do with these things.

I'm really going to miss that NU arrogance. A lot.

Thanks for setting us straight.

I KNEW it at Cal this year. Until then, I thought there was some semblance of hope. So I stayed on the wagon longer than most, I guess.

I KNEW it at Cal this year. Until then, I thought there was some semblance of hope. So I stayed on the wagon longer than most, I guess.

I'm pretty much with you on this one. I gave Hawkins a complete pass on year 1, and considered this year his first "senior" group. When the team preformed that badly, I knew it was over.

Hawkins is A problem. (or I should say was). He wasn't the only problem. I don't think there are any posters here who don't recognize that there are other issues that need to be addressed. Facilities, academic support, admissions, etc. all need to be improved. However, you can work on all those things until you're blue in the face but if you still have a raging incompetent running the football program, you won't make any success. Those other things can be dealt with over time, and I believe they are being dealt with. Dealing with those things doesn't get headlines, though.

Montana St. should have been the red flag for all of us, but when did you truly go from "this guy is a bit weird, but I think he can coach" to "this guy is in over his head"?

For me, it was toward the end of the 2008 season when he started flip-flopping QBs for the first time, after burning Hansen's redshirt.

Yeah, probably right about then, when he started dicking around with Hansen, pulling the RS and then benching him again.

There is in this thread, and many other threads here, a sort of consensus that Hawkins is the sole problem, with regard to the program's w/l record.

Some schools have to dig a bit deeper to right things that have gone wrong over the years, coaching changes being the seeming most obvious to some. I'm wondering if Colorado will have to do that, or even if that realization is at all in the minds of those who have anything to do with these things.

:huh:

Yeah, probably right about then, when he started dicking around with Hansen, pulling the RS and then benching him again.

Something about that whole situation just set off alarms. In conjunction with the ever-changing offensive systems and I just could not get over something was up.

From day one...the first time I heard him speak and it sounded alien to me. I never got the guy. I thought he was a goof, but I didn't know anything about the success of Boise St. But I was right about him being a goof. :huh:

OK, I am a Husker fan first with a soft spot for the Buffs. The day Hawkins was hired, several of my Husker fan buddies all thought it was a bad hire for Colorado. Hawkins should have stayed at Boise St. and Colorado should have hired someone else.

But who am I to say. Hindsight is always 20-20, so the decision made at that time couldn't really be second guessed by any of us.

Good luck with the coaching search and hope all goes well with the rest of the season. With the exception of the last game. GBR!

I know a lot of folks believe I was a big Hawkins fan. But I was more into trying to stay positive and keep things positive. At the same time, because I always try to be optomistic, I could kind of create arguemnts as to why he hadn't had success and still could turn things around. You know, injuries, youth, etc. But I had a lot of doubts, at the same time. I was hopeful but not convinced. My nexus came during the csu game this year. Going in, I felt like we should just obliterate them. Dominate them. And we didn't. It was at that moment that I knew, beyond any doubt, that Hawkins could not get it done.

I know a lot of folks believe I was a big Hawkins fan. But I was more into trying to stay positive and keep things positive. At the same time, because I always try to be optomistic, I could kind of create arguemnts as to why he hadn't had success and still could turn things around. You know, injuries, youth, etc. But I had a lot of doubts, at the same time. I was hopeful but not convinced. My nexus came during the csu game this year. Going in, I felt like we should just obliterate them. Dominate them. And we didn't. It was at that moment that I knew, beyond any doubt, that Hawkins could not get it done.

Hawk Lover.

:smile2:

Hahaha ok

Didn´t James Cox start Montana State and didn´t B-Jax only become the starter for the second game against CSU?

----

I gave him a pass for 2006 as he really didn´t have much to work with.
2007 was just about what I expected in Year 2, some bumps, but they got to a bowl.
2008, I was disappointed but blamed it on the injuries.
He lost me after one quarter v CSU in 2009.

this

Hawkins is A problem. (or I should say was). He wasn't the only problem. I don't think there are any posters here who don't recognize that there are other issues that need to be addressed. Facilities, academic support, admissions, etc. all need to be improved. However, you can work on all those things until you're blue in the face but if you still have a raging incompetent running the football program, you won't make any success. Those other things can be dealt with over time, and I believe they are being dealt with. Dealing with those things doesn't get headlines, though.

That's pretty close to what I've been thinking.. we've seen it at several schools, and the fans always want the coach's head, as if that's THE problem. The next bloke steps in and the program remains less than expectations.

And I don't think the staff is the larger issue, either. New coaches usually bring in their own faces and still fail.

Right....

Love ya, DBT :smile2:

toledo. the first three years were explainable, sort of, in a holding out hope sort of way. there is no excuse for this year or last. period.

yeah, i'd have to say toledo, too.

i was still trying to find all the reasons it could work out for us, up until then. that loss pretty much killed my last hopes with this staff.

funny how we were able to rationalize some of the horrible crap this staff did... all the road losses... the loss to montana state... the mizzery beat-downs. and, yet, i still wanted to believe we were right on the brink. the "10 wins and no excuses" seemed possible, especially after he upset oklahoma and landed a top recruiting class. and even after that, i wanted to believe, at least in part, that he wasn't the worst coach ever in the history of CU.

there is no denying the truth at this point. he was an epic failure and he'll never work as a hc in a major program again.

... at least we have hope again...

I'd have to say 2008. They had momentum and a damn good recruiting class and it went to ****, especially the 5-7 end.

Back