What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

When is CU going to pay Boyle what he is worth?

rialto - you're absolutely right if you're on the outside just looking at the numbers and what Boyle's relative worth is to our program.

However, Boyle did not even ask for the recent raise or extension. Word at the burrito stand is that he actually had Bohn give him less money than Bohn wanted to pay him in order to leave more money for the program budget (i.e., taking 50 students to the tourney).

Money's not the motivator here for Boyle. The motivator is whether his program is given the resources and support to build a champion. He's much more interested in having great facilities for recruiting and training, building fan and community support, having the assistant coach salaries he needs to attract and retain top guys, top notch academic support, a large recruiting budget, and the ability to spend what's necessary to get the schedule he wants.

If he gets all that and builds a consistent 20+ win team that's in the NCAAs all the time, the job security is going to be there and he knows without a doubt that he'll have complete job security in a place he loves while earning enough to provide his family with generational wealth. An extra hundred grand next year pales. There's work to do.

Well Nik nails it. Rialto obviously doesn't know Tad. I can promise you that $2 million contracts are not what motivates Tad. He wants to mother ****ing win.

The real fun part is for those of us who have met Nik, we can hear him saying those words.

The real fun part is for those of us who have met Nik, we can hear him saying those words.

Unfortunately also imagine him saying these words while wearing the CU thong. Maybe it's just me.

So should Boyle remain the lowest paid coach for the 2102-2103 season in the PAC 12 now that we have won the conference title? I'm not the only CU fan who thinks we should pay him much more NOW. Get ahead of the inevitable big money offers - to think otherwise is simply naive:

"The length of the contract isn't so much the issue. It's the money. If some "Big" tosses $2.5 million in front of him, with another million + for assistants, how's he gonna tell his wife that it's better in Boulder? We don't have to match the highest likely offer, but we sure need to take him and his assistants out of the third-tier-coach salary territory. Unlike Hawkins, this guy's proven his worth. We need him around, with motivated, dedicated assistants. And donor money could make this all happen without dipping into the AD fund."

Last edited:
So should Boyle remain the lowest paid coach for the 2102-2103 season in the PAC 12 now that we have won the conference title? I'm not the only CU fan who thinks we should pay him much more NOW. Get ahead of the onevtialbe bug money offers - to think otherwise is simply naive:

"The length of the contract isn't so much the issue. It's the money. If some "Big" tosses $2.5 million in front of him, with another million + for assistants, how's he gonna tell his wife that it's better in Boulder? We don't have to match the highest likely offer, but we sure need to take him and his assistants out of the third-tier-coach salary territory. Unlike Hawkins, this guy's proven his worth. We need him around, with motivated, dedicated assistants. And donor money could make this all happen without dipping into the AD fund."

First .. who the fark are you quoting? Attribution matters.

Second ... why don't you just STFU?

First .. who the fark are you quoting? Attribution matters.

Second ... why don't you just STFU?

I think I just read that post in a Rivlas thread. Probably rialto under a different name. :wink2:

actually, you disrespectful little ****, why don't you SFTU? You add nothing that I have ever seen. At least I did the research Boyle is dramatically underpaid. You just espouse worthless opinons

I don't think there's anybody on this board who thinks Boyle doesn't deserve a raise, and a big one at that. It's coming. I don't think it's worth getting your panties in a bunch over it, though. It'll happen soon enough.

For **** sake! We just won the FIRST ****ing conference tournament championship in school history and somebody is already whining about something. Absolutely pathetic! Just sit back for once and enjoy what is one of the greatest moments in athletic history.:bang:

So should Boyle remain the lowest paid coach for the 2102-2103 season in the PAC 12 now that we have won the conference title? I'm not the only CU fan who thinks we should pay him much more NOW. Get ahead of the inevitable big money offers - to think otherwise is simply naive:

You're arguing with yourself here. Nobody's saying that he shouldn't get a raise soon, but no one else expects the deal to get done the night of the conference championship game. And you've somehow convinced yourself Tad has one foot out the door despite a ton of evidence that he's in his dream position and the money isn't a top priority for him. Just relax and enjoy this for now - I guarantee Tad is! The business end will work itself out soon enough.

actually, you disrespectful little ****, why don't you SFTU? You add nothing that I have ever seen. At least I did the research Boyle is dramatically underpaid. You just espouse worthless opinons

Who the fark are you?!?

Besides some worthless little troll who masquerades as a CU fan?

You did "research [that] Boyle is dramatically underpaid"? Really ... do you really think that we don't know how much (or how little) Tad is paid relative other major CBB coaches? Both Buffnik and I tried to tell you that money isn't important to Todd ... Nik was more tactful, but our point was the same ... and you are apparently unable to comprehend it. You are either the most obtuse poster on this board (which would be saying something) ... or you are the most unabashed troll I've ever come across (again, that would be saying something).

Seriously ... you post this drivel before and after one of the most glorious episodes in CU B-ball history? Fark you ... and I shan't bother to respond to any of your worthless posts in the future.

Good day, "Sir."

Last edited:
actually, Boyle is hugely underpaid. Can CU possibly sack-up and pay a great coach what he is worth? Or is it better to play the liberal, money envying PC game so the members of the sports-hating faculty and Brittany Anus from the Boulder Daily Pravda do not criticize CU? Why risk losing Boyle? He has recruited great kids, built huge positive visibility for the university, drawn great home crowds and is winning at a rate no CU coach in history has.

per reed marks... he said that boyle requested the smaller raise and bohn told him the money would be there if he needed it

rialto - you're absolutely right if you're on the outside just looking at the numbers and what Boyle's relative worth is to our program.

However, Boyle did not even ask for the recent raise or extension. Word at the burrito stand is that he actually had Bohn give him less money than Bohn wanted to pay him in order to leave more money for the program budget (i.e., taking 50 students to the tourney).

Money's not the motivator here for Boyle. The motivator is whether his program is given the resources and support to build a champion. He's much more interested in having great facilities for recruiting and training, building fan and community support, having the assistant coach salaries he needs to attract and retain top guys, top notch academic support, a large recruiting budget, and the ability to spend what's necessary to get the schedule he wants.

If he gets all that and builds a consistent 20+ win team that's in the NCAAs all the time, the job security is going to be there and he knows without a doubt that he'll have complete job security in a place he loves while earning enough to provide his family with generational wealth. An extra hundred grand next year pales. There's work to do.
nik beat me to it

Didn't aTm offer Tad like $2 mil to replace Turgeon last year and he turned them down?

Seriously, folks. Let's not be getting bogged down with this tonight. Tad's going to end up being one of the highest paid coaches in the Pac-12 right here at Colorado. He's committed long-term and is keeping his salary down until the new Pac-12 money actually comes in so that the AD can focus spending on areas it can help most to build his program.

All the more reason to love Tad. Other than that, there's really nothing to see here.

Didn't aTm offer Tad like $2 mil to replace Turgeon last year and he turned them down?

Seriously, folks. Let's not be getting bogged down with this tonight. Tad's going to end up being one of the highest paid coaches in the Pac-12 right here at Colorado. He's committed long-term and is keeping his salary down until the new Pac-12 money actually comes in so that the AD can focus spending on areas it can help most to build his program.

All the more reason to love Tad. Other than that, there's really nothing to see here.

You mean other than rialto is a flaming asshole?

Otherwise .. you're right.

You're a kindler, gentler man than me nik ... but I call 'em as I see 'em.

damn you beat bcs to it again.

damn you beat bcs to it again.

BCS and I were talking about this during halftime of the Stanford game a couple weeks ago. Boyle's extension was a bit before that. It's kind of old news. I have no idea why this became an issue today.

BCS and I were talking about this during halftime of the Stanford game a couple weeks ago. Boyle's extension was a bit before that. It's kind of old news. I have no idea why this became an issue today.

Uhhh ...perhaps because a certain narcissistic asshole decided to call attention to himself for no good reason ... other than to harsh our mellow?

Just a guess.

My post game celebration beers have worn off. It was such a great game, I had to watch it again!

So back to Rialto's turd in the punchbowl salary discussion:
1) Bohn will review the financials. CU basketball has traditionally been a break even affair. Men's basketball has been self funding. The football program has been the cash cow that subsidizes the non-revenue generating sports.
2) But prior year results don't look like this year or next year's projections. Maybe Basketball is now a cash cow, too.
3) More ticket sales: CU is selling out the keg. Season ticket numbers will increase for the 2012-2013 season. There may even be room for a ticket price increase.
4) More TV revenue in 2012. CU gets to the dance. It would be wise to see how far Tad goes in the NCAA tournament before calculating his worth. If Boyle goes for a deep run, there may be even more value in there than we can imagine. Boyle has done nothing but prove the experts wrong. CU isn't expected to go deep in the tourney. Tad has the nation right where he wants them. If Tad beats up on some Big East, ACC or B1G school, there will be people in two more timezones who discover what the Pac12 just learned...Tad is a damn good coach. The more people realize that, the bigger his upside.
5) Pac 12 network revenue kicking in. Larry Scott has a new network deal that ensures EVERY MBB game will be televised. The gravy train from this landmark media contract starts coming in and soon it will be difficult to walk through the AD office without tripping over large bags of money.
6) Tad is under contract. He knows the terms. He was a financial analyst in a prior life. He knows how much his peers make. He knows that his value will increase even further by keeping his promise to this new recruiting class, logging a third 23+ win season, and making year 3 at CU his best yet. If Tad jumped for a $2.5M offer now, it would hurt his integrity. Kids he would need to recruit are less comfortable playing for a money-chasing school-hopping mercenary. He's printing money here at CU. He'll get his take if he's patient.

In conclusion, Mr. Turd-in-the-punchbowl, let the system work.

Yes, Boyle will get offers from other schools. He will give CU a chance to match.

But don't discount the pride and satisfaction Tad Boyle is getting by having the chance to build his legacy here at CU. Why walk in the shadow of other great coaches at other programs when you are in position to be the greatest basketball coach to ever be associated with Colorado? He's valuable because he's building a legacy here in Boulder and is only two years into a four or five year project.

When the time comes to renegotiate his contract again, Boyle will be worth even more with back-to-back Pac 12 championship titles.

The good news is that CU will have room in the budget to pay Boyle more money.

Give Boyle a chance to finish this season. He's not done yet. Salary talks are nothing but a distraction on selection Sunday.

Give Mike Bohn a chance to read his e-mail, study the ledger, and put a dollar figure on Tad's worth.

Back