What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Where do we go from here on offense?

I think Wood has had plenty of coaching. I believe that would be an issue if his technique was bad but it is not. Wood's issue is he gets flustered and then makes mistakes. The reason he is in there is because the alternatives are no better. I think MacIntyre is waiting for Jordan Webb to come back and maybe give Webb a shot.
Shoot me now...

and Webb might actually do pretty good IMO. with this style of offense, scramble around giving time for PRich, Spruce, DD open and get them the ball. Wood needs to maybe be a little more of a runner at times. He can get the edge and run over a CB, maybe the coaches don't want him taking those shots?

There was an article by a CFB "expert" back in the day that went on and on about "Donald" Hodge, the CU QB. You might remember him as Robert Hodge, which was his real name. I was just poking fun at the Nick Hansen misnomer and added in a mashup name for Lee Foliaki, a LB GB recruited, but who did not qualify at CU. He ended up at aTm. Perhaps a bit too obscure....

Wood has as much physical ability (or more) than anyone we've had since Klatt. It's the mental part of the game he struggles with, getting rattled too easily and then making bad decisions. Most of the pressure he sees is off the edge (thank Nembot) and I'd like to see him climb up into the pocket more. I hope its an experience thing and he'll progress as we go along. But if he doesn't by the end of the season, it should be Sefo's ball in 2014.

Oh yeah, and we're 1-2 injuries away from a full-on tire fire on the OL. We're already sub-par and have no depth.

I also believe that for everything he brings, and its a ton, PRich has to 1. stop dropping easy balls and 2. run more slants, quick hitch routes.

Agree with BnG...we need the QB to play better. I think Connor can, but he's a year away or so. I know many of us thought we had a good QB in Connor after the first 2 games, but he has really struggled against good PAC 12 teams. If Connor could stop the turnovers and complete 50% of his passes, both games would have been closer and we might have had a chance against OSU.

We also need the O line to make some holes and move some bodies when it's required. They aren't there yet either. Until then, we need more play action and TE involvement in the red zone.

Anyone know why mosley isn't getting a chance at kick returns? Has he played at all on defense?

and Webb might actually do pretty good IMO. with this style of offense, scramble around giving time for PRich, Spruce, DD open and get them the ball. Wood needs to maybe be a little more of a runner at times. He can get the edge and run over a CB, maybe the coaches don't want him taking those shots?

I don't want to fall in the trap of thinking Webb can be good again with different coaching and a different team. I don't like being this harsh when writing about players, but I've seen enough.

With the above written, I'll take Webb over Sefo to preserve the red shirt.

Last edited:
Have you noticed that it's sego on the sidelines with the headset relaying the plays all game? He is the back up for sure. He'll get put into action by the end of the charleston game, IMO

Have you noticed that it's sego on the sidelines with the headset relaying the plays all game? He is the back up for sure. He'll get put into action by the end of the charleston game, IMO

Yes. I don't think Webb is dressing yet, but is probably close. He actually was pretty decent on screens last year, lord knows he had enough practice. It was about our only play that sometimes worked.

He has returned kicks...he fumbled one v. the Beavers.

Thanks, Direct tv not having pac 12 network sucks. The espn gamecast always screws up, they'll have juda parker catching a 50 yd pass and our kicker getting a sack. :lol:

Jeff Thomas, Devin Ross, Bobo and Dunston should get on the field hopefully next fall. I would like to see Mccolough converted to TE and then hope another TE emerges. Lack of TE production is hurting the offense. Will also like to see Adkins emerge as the starter next fall. Open competition at Quarterback in the Spring and Fall. I am highly disappointed at the QB play. I am not shocked. I didn't buy the hype surrounding Conner Wood after Spring ball. I remember folks attacking me here because I stated that Conner was throwing deep balls against third stringers.

Jeff Thomas, Devin Ross, Bobo and Dunston should get on the field hopefully next fall. I would like to see Mccolough converted to TE and then hope another TE emerges. Lack of TE production is hurting the offense. Will also like to see Adkins emerge as the starter next fall. Open competition at Quarterback in the Spring and Fall. I am highly disappointed at the QB play. I am not shocked. I didn't buy the hype surrounding Conner Wood after Spring ball. I remember folks attacking me here because I stated that Conner was throwing deep balls against third stringers.

We need to steal good old what's-his-name back from Akron (U, not HS), do you suppose?

I think Wood has had plenty of coaching. I believe that would be an issue if his technique was bad but it is not. Wood's issue is he gets flustered and then makes mistakes. The reason he is in there is because the alternatives are no better. I think MacIntyre is waiting for Jordan Webb to come back and maybe give Webb a shot.

Gehrke is a bit smaller than Wood, but looked faster and throws a really nice ball. Sure passed the eye test in camp. I thought he was going to be our number two guy but Sefo really impressed staff. I would like to see Gehrke get a shot first, before we burn the shirt.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23285021/cu-buffs-signing-jordan-gehrke-adds-drama-qb

Last edited:
Our O Line is pretty awful. I don't know how you scheme around a bad O line.

Maybe I'm the only one, but from what I've seen, our OL is actually doing a little better than last year (which ain't saying much, I know). Wood has had to scramble alot, but he's had plenty of plays where he's had time to set up and make a good throw. Webb was running for his life from game 1 last year. I remember saying "wow" as it was happening vs. Sac State (!) And yes, we're not opening holes, but would Powell hit them if we did? Adkins has, in very limited duty. We're very young up front, not getting much push, but considering we lost Bakh and that d-bag to Neb, I'm feeling kinda OK ... if we stay healthy and Nembot progresses.

Wood has to be a difference maker or we have no shot. Was not upset Oregon boat raced us, only disappointed in our 0-15 on 3rd downs and getting shut out in 2nd half. He had some drops by the WRs but mostly was ineffective when he needed to be dynamic. He tends to get jittery and doesn't set his feet on throws. He throws a nice long ball but short and medium throws need to improve.

Haven't seen the last couple of games....do they try to move the pocket at all or is it mostly straight drop back?

SECO - IMO - a little of both. wood seems to get freaked out once he sees the defense coming. Instead of stepping up into the "pocket" (not a formidable one) or even up to the line of scrimmage then throwing the ball, he seems to just air mail it a little.
In the csu game he did a better job of this.

Back