What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Where do you see this recruiting class finishing up in the rankings?

We are going to have a class that is full of 3 star talent. I would guess we will rank somewhere in the 40's since we will likely have 25 recruits of 3 star magnitude. The biggest gets for us have been the transfer of Wood and the commitment of Dillon. What we need to do to improve to the low 40's or mid 30's is land about 2 or 3 4 star players. When I look at who we are in on that doesn't leave us much room for error. Per Scout our 4 Star Recruits we are still in on our C.Brown RB, Joey O'Connor OG, Deaysean Rippy OLB, Yuri Wright DB. Odds are we land zero of those 4 star recruits.

So I just can't see anyway our recruiting class finishes anywhere inside the Top 40 based on what is left out there for us to improve our standings. I am holding out hope we can sill bring in both the RB and WR from UT and hopefully pick up a couple more players as well. They won't count for this recruiting class however. A reminder however is that Wisconsin typically does very well with the same type of recruiting. Maybe a little better. So if we can get all we can out of this massive recruiting class we should be in good shape when they are JR's. We will be deep at alot of positions and hopefully we will have sprinkled in 4 star talent or 3 star dynamic athletes with our next 2 classes.

Just want to give a little perspective so that people know what a team needs to do to place at a certain spot in the rankings.

2011 Classes on Rivals:

#10 Notre Dame: 23 commits, two 5*, eight 4*, twelve 3*, one 2*
#15 Nebraska: 19 commits, zero 5*, eleven 4*, seven 3*, one 2*
#20 Texas Tech: 27 commits, zero 5*, six 4*, nineteen 3*, two 2*
#25 Virginia: 26 commits, zero 5*, five 4*, seventeen 3*, four 2*
#30 Iowa: 24 commits, zero 5*, four 4*, sixteen 3*, four 2*
#35 Penn State: 16 commits, zero 5*, five 4*, eight 3*, three 2*
#40 Wisconsin: 20 commits, zero 5*, three 4*, fifteen 3*, two 2*

Highest ranked team with no 5*s and four 4*s: Arkansas at #24
Highest ranked team with no 5*s and three 4*s: Texas A&M at #27
Highest ranked team with no 5*s and two 4*s: TCU at #26
Highest ranked team with no 5*s and one 4*s: Georgia Tech at #41

Don't care about ranking, but looking at the numbers, CU will end up with a top 35 recruiting class. We are going to sign atleast 30 players, mostly 3 stars maybe 1 or 2 4 stars rated players. Quantity over quality in terms of the rating system if you believe in the rating systems.

You must be looking at a different ranking. The highest rated PAC 12 team is Oregon at 26; ASU 28; Stanford 29; USC 34. The one that gets me is UCLA at 45th. How does Slick Rick, being on one of the hottest seats in the nation manage to be leading the Buffs. They better not be when this is said and done!

He's evil. That's how.

Don't care about ranking, but looking at the numbers, CU will end up with a top 35 recruiting class. We are going to sign atleast 30 players, mostly 3 stars maybe 1 or 2 4 stars rated players. Quantity over quality in terms of the rating system if you believe in the rating systems.

Quantity helps a lot because they only rate your 20 best players. So, if a team signed 30 with five 4*, fifteen 3*, and ten 2* the class would be rated as if they 2* players didn't exist.

Great Post. I think it proves my point that we have a very unrealistic chance of cracking the top 30 with this class. In fact when you look at it that way we probably are looking at a class that finishes somewhere in the mid 40's. However, we have to remember we will have an additional 10 players in here who don't count towards the class rankings so we are going to be really deep in 3 years. We just have to make the depth of this class count since we aren't getting any of the homerun guys. We really really need to land difference makers next year at Rush LB, DB, OT, S, ATH

Not really.

I think we have as good a shot at Wes Brown as anybody does right now.

From all indications he is one of those kids who just plain hasn't decided yet. He tells somebody one thing one day and somebody else something different the next, mainly just to keep them off his back. Ask who his leader is and it will be the school that he visited most recently or the coach who visited him most recently.

What we do know is that he is very open to moving away from home. We also know that one of his heroes is AP and he is impressed with EB who coached AP. I don't know where he lands in the end and neither does anyone else but I do know that we will at least get a listen before hem makes the final decision and Embree and EB are both closers giving us a realistic shot.

Just gotta get them in for a visit and if we had no chance with the ones I listed we wouldn't be listed in their favorites list but you know best don't ya.

I'm not even sure we listed in Rippy's top 5. The only realistic shot (which I will define as 50/50) is Wes Brown. I think we also have a shot at McNamara at TE but he isn't even listed as a 4 star recruit and thus won't affect our recruiting ranking any differently than landing a 3 star 68th ranked TE. The honest best shot we have at landing a 4 star recruit is the hope that Dillon gets bumped up to a 4 star at some point.

Do you follow recruiting outside of here?

McNamara:
Rivals - 4* #90 Overall
Scout - 3*
ESPN - 4* 79
247 Sports - 4* 94, 174 Overall

Rippy:
"I'm looking at a few places, like Arizona State, Colorado, Pitt, Maryland, West Virginia, USC, Iowa, and Illinois," he said. "Those are the main ones."
Done on 11/03

Yuri Wright:
Taking an OV sometime in December

Wes Brown:
Leader is Vandy and said he may take an OV to Boulder so we're not in great shape with him.

Scout is not a good place to follow CU recruiting.

Last edited:
I guess class rankings is good for boosters. I can care less, we all saw how 5 star recruits Darell Scott could not cut it at CU. I will be happy with more players like Greg Henderson,and Will Oliver.

I guess class rankings is good for boosters. I can care less, we all saw how 5 star recruits Darell Scott could not cut it at CU. I will be happy with more players like Greg Henderson,and Will Oliver.

Recruiting obviously isn't an exact science, but if you're trying to argue that teams that load up on 5* and 4* talent don't typically have more success than 3* and 2* talent, you're clueless..

Recruiting obviously isn't an exact science, but if you're trying to argue that teams that load up on 5* and 4* talent don't typically have more success than 3* and 2* talent, you're clueless..
Remember who you're talking to.

Back