What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Where does this team rank?

We are currently 2nd to last in the nation in points differential. Here some other FBS schools for comparisons.

UT - San Antonio -5.4 ppg
Texas St -5.8 ppg
South Alabama -9.9 ppg
UMass -30.5 ppg

Colorado -27.9 ppg

and the other worse BCS schools...

Illinois -12.8 ppg
Kansas -12.8 ppg
Auburn -13.5 ppg
Kentucky -14.2 ppg

Sweet, we're literally twice as bad as other bad teams.

Point a) Agree, the Ducks are talented, fast, and well coached and do make everyone look bad. What is different here is that they were rolling up points against the Buffs when Kelly was trying not to. They scored 70 when trying not to embarass Embree, what would it have looked like if they had been trying to score.

b) None of the teams you list are in a "major" or AQ conference, those are schools that get paid by other schools to get beat up. Even then with CSU winning and likely one or two others since I'm not going to check even that list will be getting shorter.

c) Small comfort here. I have seen worse major conference teams. The PAC teams you listed are likely and I know that in the old Big 8 days some of the teams that Kansas State, Kansas, and Iowa State were worse. Also we will never approach the level of putrid that Northwestern set in losing 34 straight. Problem is that we are not that level of program (or at least shouldn't be.) We aren't a perenial elite with 100,000 fans in the stadium every week but this is a school that has a NC, has multiple top 5, top 10, and many top 25 finishes. We don't have an excuse for how bad we are.

It's true that the Buffs are probably the worst team from a BCS conference this year, unfortunately, but they're definitely not the worst in FBS. And obviously, not the worst team in NCAA history. (I only pointed that out in the first place because the OP seemed to imply that CU is the worst team in NCAA history, which it's clearly not.) The point you made in c) in bold I think is important. CU has been to the top of the mountain before. There's no reason they can't be again. And I think it will happen sooner than you all think. :thumbsup:

a) The Ducks make everyone look horrible. (See the "So, do you guys hate the Ducks yet?" thread.)

b) The Buffs are not even close to the worst team in FBS this year. UMass, Southern Miss, and a number of other teams are much worse. I don't know what Sagarin says, but I've had a computer rankings system since 2001 and the Buffs are currently #107 out of #124. The following teams are ranked lower: CSU :thumbsup:, Army, Buffalo, Idaho, Tulane, Wyoming, Eastern Michigan, UNLV, UTEP, New Mexico State, Florida International, Akron, Hawaii, UAB, Memphis, UMass, and Southern Miss. So far from "the worst."

c) The 2012 Buffs are not even close the worst Pac-10/12 team ever. As another poster mentioned, some of OSU's teams from 1971-1998 (aka "the dark days" or "the first 18 years I was alive plus 9 before that") were absolutely horrific. In recent years, I'd have to say Washington and Washington State in 2008 were way, WAY worse than the Buffs and quite possibly the worst Pac-10/12 teams ever. UW finished 0-12 that year. Wazzu was 2-11 but may have been even worse, with their only wins against Portland State and UW in the "Crapple Cup", lol. No, the Buffs really aren't THAT bad, in the grand scheme of things. In CU history, yes. But certainly not at the conference or division level.

I'm looking at the results of your UW 2008 example and CU's results this year look equally as bad or worse to me. The starts to the SC and Oregon games were epic. I've never seen anythign like that. This is video game stuff.

Plus, how do you put CSU ahead of CU?
2008: 0-12-0
Coach:
Tyrone "Ty" Willingham

W/L
Date
PF
Opponent
PA
L
08-30-2008
Oregon
Eugene, OR
L
09-06-2008
Brigham Young (UT)
Seattle, WA
L
09-13-2008
Oklahoma
Seattle, WA
L
09-27-2008
Stanford (CA)
Seattle, WA
L
10-04-2008
Arizona
Tucson, AZ
L
10-18-2008
Oregon St.
Seattle, WA
L
10-25-2008
Notre Dame (IN)
Seattle, WA
L
11-01-2008
Southern California
Los Angeles, CA
L
11-08-2008
Arizona St.
Seattle, WA
L
11-15-2008
UCLA
Seattle, WA
L
11-22-2008
Washington St.
Pullman, WA
L
12-06-2008
California
Berkeley, CA
Season Totals

It's true that the Buffs are probably the worst team from a BCS conference this year, unfortunately, but they're definitely not the worst in FBS. And obviously, not the worst team in NCAA history. (I only pointed that out in the first place because the OP seemed to imply that CU is the worst team in NCAA history, which it's clearly not.) The point you made in c) in bold I think is important. CU has been to the top of the mountain before. There's no reason they can't be again. And I think it will happen sooner than you all think. :thumbsup:

Based on what?

There are actually quite a few reasons to think CU won't be scaling the mountain again anytime soon:

- Apapthetic administration
- Program continues to live in the past with no vision or plan for the future
- Falling further and further behind in the facilities race with each passing year
- Coaching staff looks to be in over its head and recruiting is not improving

Pull your head out. It's not 1990 anymore.....

Honestly this is the worst team I have ever been around at any level. Giving up 2-3 touchdowns in the first qtr/this often. Drives for touchdowns under 2 minutes and every aspect of the game at the bottom of the league. Special teams, defense, and offense... So tired of this. What do we do as fans?? I know I will not spend another dime towards anything associated with CU until they make some changes, again, just went through this crap with hawkins... I know everyone says support and spend $ that is what helps...but, you know what? I work hard for my money and am not seeing any return in investment? That is when any adviser would say pull the plug.

This team is probably as bad as any I can remember since I first attended CU in the fall of 1974. This includes the Fairbanks teams which were God awful.

Honestly this is the worst team I have ever been around at any level. Giving up 2-3 touchdowns in the first qtr/this often. Drives for touchdowns under 2 minutes and every aspect of the game at the bottom of the league. Special teams, defense, and offense... So tired of this. What do we do as fans?? I know I will not spend another dime towards anything associated with CU until they make some changes, again, just went through this crap with hawkins... I know everyone says support and spend $ that is what helps...but, you know what? I work hard for my money and am not seeing any return in investment? That is when any adviser would say pull the plug.

I personally loved the 97 yard drive that took 2 mins and 22 seconds on saturday in the first half. They make a good play to down the ball on the 3 and we all knew that drive was coming, so sad. I htink that made it 35-0. Awesome.

Colin Cowherd was talking about the top BCS teams today, and when he mentioned Oregon's win this weekend, he said that Colorado is the worst BCS team he has seen in a decade. Guess we are continuing to get some attention.

I'm looking at the results of your UW 2008 example and CU's results this year look equally as bad or worse to me. The starts to the SC and Oregon games were epic. I've never seen anythign like that. This is video game stuff.

Plus, how do you put CSU ahead of CU?
2008: 0-12-0
Coach:
Tyrone "Ty" Willingham

W/L

Date

PF

Opponent

PA

Notes

L

08-30-2008

Oregon

Eugene, OR

L

09-06-2008

Brigham Young (UT)

Seattle, WA

L

09-13-2008

Oklahoma

Seattle, WA

L

09-27-2008

Stanford (CA)

Seattle, WA

L

10-04-2008

Arizona

Tucson, AZ

L

10-18-2008

Oregon St.

Seattle, WA

L

10-25-2008

Notre Dame (IN)

Seattle, WA

L

11-01-2008

Southern California

Los Angeles, CA

L

11-08-2008

Arizona St.

Seattle, WA

L

11-15-2008

UCLA

Seattle, WA

L

11-22-2008

Washington St.

Pullman, WA

L

12-06-2008

California

Berkeley, CA

Season Totals

The thing about that Washington team was they did have a pretty tough schedule - only 4 of their 12 games were against teams that finished with losing records. Still, any time you manage to run the table in reverse, you deserve to be in the conversation of "worst team ever." Washington's biggest embarrassment that year was actually losing to WSU, who I think were even worse. Check out WSU's results from 2008:

2008-Washington State (Pac 10)​
8/30vs.Oklahoma State
(9-4)
L1339@ Seattle, WA
9/6vs.*California (9-4)L366
9/12@Baylor (4-8)L1745
9/20vs.Portland State (non-IA)W489
9/27vs.*Oregon (10-3)L1463
10/4@*UCLA (4-8)L328
10/11@*Oregon State (9-4)L1366
10/18vs.*Southern
California
(12-1)
L069
11/1@*Stanford (5-7)L058
11/8vs.*Arizona (8-5)L2859
11/15@*Arizona State
(5-7)
L031
11/22vs.*Washington (0-12)W1613
11/29@Hawaii (7-7)L1024

2-11-0​

Absolutely dominated by everybody but Portland State and the Huskies. There's no way this year's CU is as bad as that Cougar team, even if they don't win another game. Just brutal losses for that Cougar team to teams that weren't even good (31-0 vs. 5-7 Arizona, 45-17 vs. 4-8 Baylor, and 58-0 vs. 5-7 Stanford). That Cougar team rivaled any of the bottom of the barrel Beaver teams from the 70s and 80s, and might have been even worse.

On the CSU vs. CU question, CU is barely ahead in my rankings this week. The Buffs are #107 with 77.6 points, while the Rams are #108 with 77.2 points. Head-to-head isn't really taken into account - it's more the average of the season so far. CSU is ranked lower because although they are they are 2-6 compared to the Buffs' 1-7, they play in a much worse conference, so they have a worse strength-of-schedule. Quite simply, they have done worse (or equally as bad?) than CU, but against a weaker schedule. The Buffs haven't been pretty either, but the Pac-12 teams they are losing to are better than the Mountain West teams CSU is losing to.

Based on what?

There are actually quite a few reasons to think CU won't be scaling the mountain again anytime soon:

- Apapthetic administration
- Program continues to live in the past with no vision or plan for the future
- Falling further and further behind in the facilities race with each passing year
- Coaching staff looks to be in over its head and recruiting is not improving

Pull your head out. It's not 1990 anymore.....

I don't know enough about CU's administration or AD to comment on those points, but I can tell you that CU has a better situation than most of the teams in the Pac-12. Boulder's a great college town, near a large metro area, and Folsom Field is a great stadium with great scenery. Add in the great traditions you guys have like Ralphie running onto the field and the winning tradition from the 90s, and I see CU in a similar situation to the Huskies, only with much better weather and hotter coeds. :thumbsup: Here's the ranking of who I'd say have the most advantageous situation in the Pac-12, and we're really talking about recruiting and building a program here:

1. USC - LA Metro area, sunshine, tons of players in your backyard, traditional college football powerhouse.
2. UCLA - See USC above, only with less tradition, and less commitment by the university administration, which has held them back.
3. Arizona State - Phoenix metro area, sunshine, huge stadium, and legendarily hot coeds. 'Nuff said.
4. Cal - SF Bay area, lots of recruits in their own backyard, easier to get into than Stanford.
5. Colorado - Boulder, Denver metro area nearby, Folsom Field, Ralphie, good tradition even if it's been awhile. Close enough to recruit both Cali and Texas.
6. Washington - Seattle, like CU a good winning tradition even though it's been awhile. Great alumni support.
7. Arizona - Warm weather, sunshine, think of them as ASU lite.
8. Oregon - Let's give the Ducks credit - it is harder to sell Eugene than the places that are ranked higher on this list. But Kelly and Bellotti before him have done an outstanding job making Oregon into a Pac-10/12 power. Flashy outfits, er uniforms, a massive infusion of cash including X-boxes in the locker rooms, the close association with Nike, the flashy offense, and a great homefield advantage have moved them up from probably #10 on this list in the past.
9. Stanford - See Cal with one major drawback: it's hard to get into Stanford, and a lot of recruits simply can't do it.
10. Utah - Salt Lake City metro, although that's less attractive than the other metro areas above it. New kid on the block from a lower conference. Kyle Wittingham is an excellent coach, but it might be a while before they're winning Pac-12 titles.
11. Oregon State - I love the Beavs, and I love Corvegas, but it's truly the 2nd hardest place to recruit to in the Pac-12. Small town, lukewarm administration/AD support, and no sugar daddy like the Ducks have with Phil Knight. Only Mike Riley's coaching has made the Beavs competitive. And did I mention it rains a lot in Oregon?
12. Washington State - Toughest situation in the Pac. Pullman is in the middle of nowhere. They're starting to play more "home" games in Seattle because even their own alumni don't want to go back there, lol. Every now and then they'll catch lightning in a bottle and have a great team, but it will be hard to build a consistent winner up there.

So yeah, I see Colorado as #5 on that list, with a lot of advantages working in CU's favor. College football goes in cycles, but the programs near the top should over time be good. USC is always going to be the big dog in the Pac-12 (yes, eventually even Oregon will have a downswing), but programs like Colorado and Washington will be there to challenge the Trojans. It's like I said when the Broncos were 4-12 the year before I moved here: "hey, at least it can't get much worse! The only way to go is up!" It won't be this year, probably won't even be next, but Colorado will eventually be back.

a) The Ducks make everyone look horrible. (See the "So, do you guys hate the Ducks yet?" thread.)

b) The Buffs are not even close to the worst team in FBS this year. UMass, Southern Miss, and a number of other teams are much worse. I don't know what Sagarin says, but I've had a computer rankings system since 2001 and the Buffs are currently #107 out of #124. The following teams are ranked lower: CSU :thumbsup:, Army, Buffalo, Idaho, Tulane, Wyoming, Eastern Michigan, UNLV, UTEP, New Mexico State, Florida International, Akron, Hawaii, UAB, Memphis, UMass, and Southern Miss. So far from "the worst."

c) The 2012 Buffs are not even close the worst Pac-10/12 team ever. As another poster mentioned, some of OSU's teams from 1971-1998 (aka "the dark days" or "the first 18 years I was alive plus 9 before that") were absolutely horrific. In recent years, I'd have to say Washington and Washington State in 2008 were way, WAY worse than the Buffs and quite possibly the worst Pac-10/12 teams ever. UW finished 0-12 that year. Wazzu was 2-11 but may have been even worse, with their only wins against Portland State and UW in the "Crapple Cup", lol. No, the Buffs really aren't THAT bad, in the grand scheme of things. In CU history, yes. But certainly not at the conference or division level.

You're system needs a massive overhaul! I guess by your logic, Fresno St. is also worse since they play in the MWC, nevermind the 14-69 score??? I'll take head-to-head anyday as it actually means something.

Does anyone know if Washington State loses out (and is therefore winless in the conference) and finishes 2-10 (0-9), if they are technically last in the conference? Can we at least avoid being the first CU team to finish last in the conference (at 1-11, 1-8)?

The thing about that Washington team was they did have a pretty tough schedule - only 4 of their 12 games were against teams that finished with losing records. Still, any time you manage to run the table in reverse, you deserve to be in the conversation of "worst team ever." Washington's biggest embarrassment that year was actually losing to WSU, who I think were even worse. Check out WSU's results from 2008:

2008-Washington State (Pac 10)​
8/30
vs.
Oklahoma State
(9-4)
L
@ Seattle, WA
9/6
vs.
*California (9-4)
L
9/12
@
Baylor (4-8)
L
9/20
vs.
Portland State (non-IA)
W
9/27
vs.
*Oregon (10-3)
L
10/4
@
*UCLA (4-8)
L
10/11
@
*Oregon State (9-4)
L
10/18
vs.
*Southern
California
(12-1)
L
11/1
@
*Stanford (5-7)
L
11/8
vs.
*Arizona (8-5)
L
11/15
@
*Arizona State
(5-7)
L
11/22
vs.
*Washington (0-12)
W
11/29
@
Hawaii (7-7)
L

2-11-0​

Absolutely dominated by everybody but Portland State and the Huskies. There's no way this year's CU is as bad as that Cougar team, even if they don't win another game. Just brutal losses for that Cougar team to teams that weren't even good (31-0 vs. 5-7 Arizona, 45-17 vs. 4-8 Baylor, and 58-0 vs. 5-7 Stanford). That Cougar team rivaled any of the bottom of the barrel Beaver teams from the 70s and 80s, and might have been even worse.

On the CSU vs. CU question, CU is barely ahead in my rankings this week. The Buffs are #107 with 77.6 points, while the Rams are #108 with 77.2 points. Head-to-head isn't really taken into account - it's more the average of the season so far. CSU is ranked lower because although they are they are 2-6 compared to the Buffs' 1-7, they play in a much worse conference, so they have a worse strength-of-schedule. Quite simply, they have done worse (or equally as bad?) than CU, but against a weaker schedule. The Buffs haven't been pretty either, but the Pac-12 teams they are losing to are better than the Mountain West teams CSU is losing to.

I must say those WSU results are impressive, in a bad way. Wow. Talk about the Crapple Cup that year!

Back